Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    needca            02-11-2005, 7:22 AM Reply   
I'm moving from Connecticut back to CA and trying to find the best way to bring my boat back besides destroying my truck towing it. Any information would be appreciated....horror stories included....much thanks....Matt
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-11-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
Have your boat shrink wrapped and ship it. Remove board racks, tower speakers and prop. As long as you use a reputable company you shouldnt have any problem. I had a friend that shipped his car from the mid west. It showed up without a scratch and clean.
Old    extrememarine            02-11-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
What kind of boat. I pulled 20' searay with a ton of my stuff in it from Seattle to Cleveland with my truck. No problems even going thru the mountain passes. One thing I would do is shrink wrap it because a normal mooring cover will get trashed.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-11-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
The link below is to a company we used in December to ship a Toyota 4Runner from Oklahoma City,Oklahoma to Folsom, California. No problems, but the rig isn't exactly a showpiece, if ya get my drift.

The cost was right at $600.0

www.dasautoshippers.com
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-14-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
DAS says on their voice message that their average cost for boats under 21' is $3 per mile. That sounds hugely expensive for a large distance. Any other suggestions for shipping a boat? I am potentially looking to ship a boat from Pennsylvania to California.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-14-2005, 6:19 PM Reply   
Sell it and buy a new one when you get out here!!!!

Cars are much easier to ship because they can be put on a car hauler with 4-5 other cars which brings down shipping. Boats usually have to be put on a flatbed and usually only fit 1 other boat w/trailer. I was looking to buy a boat in Portland and have it shipped down to San Diego, but the shipping was going to be like $2k. So I said screw it and drove up in 15 hours and back in 18 hours spent the night at the rest stops and gas cost me $300 round trip. 1800 miles round trip and I did it in 3 days total. Much better than the $2k.
So unless your going to tow it your best bet may be to sell it and get one out here. If that is not an option then be prepared to "take it in the shorts."
Old     (domin8)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-14-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
Contact local boat dealers / manufacturers that have to send or receive deliveries. They All have trucks running. Possibly you can make a deal on an empty space going one way ?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-27-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
http://www.findahauler.com/
Old     (apmullaly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-28-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
Great minds think alike EdoubleU. I live in San Diego but found my boat in Oklahoma. 2780 miles roundtrip in 3 days. Thats driving for you. And we put the boat in the water for an hour. (Of course saving 5-7k was a huge incentive)