Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (shanemulleryahoocom)      Join Date: May 2007       06-11-2007, 5:43 AM Reply   
Man I was out riding again this weekend and I just can't go for a very long run because my hands get so tired on the rope that if I try and do a jump or anything I just have the rope yanked out of my hands. Part of the problem is due to the fact the after a run in with a piece of machinery when I was a kid I lost 2 fingers on my right hand so I am someone riding one handed anyways. What do you guys do to help with improving your grip. Should I looking maybe getting some gloves to help out maybe??
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-11-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
Do some rowing exercises at the gym. That should really help your forearm and hand strength as well as your back.

Try not to squeeze the handle too tight. I know a lot of people that get tired quickly all because they hold on too tight.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-11-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
holding on too tight can definitely wear you out. also, any chance you get to rest (during turn arounds, etc.) you can hold on with one hand and lay your wrist over the top of the handle with the other. make sense? i ride regular so my left hand/arm does most of the work....i rest by holding on with my right hand and laying my left wrist over the handle. it works for me...not great, but just enough when i've been riding a while.
Old    bocephus            06-11-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
Get ride of the little handle! Get an Era Handle! It's big and your hands won't get tired.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
Some type of hand and wrist strengthener would be the best. It will be some exercise when you are watching TV or just sitting around. I have had some bones removed from my wrist because they were broken. I only have limited flexibility with the wrist and the strength is reduced. However, I use weights or resistance products to strengthen my grip.
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-11-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
I think that the big fat handles get my forearms tired quickly. The skinny handles are easiest to grip because you can pretty much just grab them with your fingertips if you want. Try a skinnier handle, NOT A THICK ONE.
Old    bocephus            06-11-2007, 9:31 AM Reply   
I disagree Nick. I am 225#'s and am super weak. I can hold on to thick handles for much longer than I can the skinny ones. Everyone on my boat agrees too. I can ride out so many "should-a-fallen" landings with the big handle that I can't with the skinny one. Holding on to the skinny handle is all about finger strength while the big handle is more forearm and general hand strength.
Old     (steventurner007)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-11-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
This might sound goofy but I always juggle with heavy weights, a little heavier than a pool ball. I find it really strengthens my forearms and grip and improves my coordination at the same time.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       06-11-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Resistance training with free weights, especially dumbbells. Also lots of pullups.
Old     (wakedude83)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-11-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
Bocephus, To each his own - you are probably right about the big handle requiring forearm strength. I guess I was just trying to say that using a smaller handle can send some of the work to your fingers rather than just your forearm. Maybe it's just because my fingers are so ripped!
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-11-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
you will beef up the muscles in your hand quick. your endurance will get alot better with time
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-13-2007, 8:05 AM Reply   
shane, cade is right on, pull-ups, use to have a problem with grip, did pull-ups all winter, no more problems with grip
Old     (aldrichiii)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
Tie a 5lb weight to the end of a rope about the length from your shoulders to the floor. Tie a wooden dolly (some sort of handle) to the other end. Hold the handle with both hands straight out from your shoulders and coil the rope around the handle bringing the weight up, then slowly uncoil the weight back down to the floor. Let me know if my explanation doesn't make sense. This should help your wrists and forearms a lot and its an easy setup if you don't belong to a gym or have a weight setup.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-13-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
james' system will definitely burn you up...your forearms will be screaming! and it doesn't take much weight...like he said, 5 lbs is plenty. but i also agree with the pull-up suggestion...if i could only do one exercise for the rest of my life i think it would be pull-ups.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-13-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
the absolute best thing you can do for grip is just carrying heavy Just grab onto a pair of really heavy dumbells and walk around for a bit. im sure you could find something heavy around the house that would work if you dont have access to weights.
Old     (cadesun)      Join Date: May 2007 Location: Chicago       06-13-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
Eric - no way, the one exercise for the rest of your life has gotta be a good back squat!

Anyways, the rope thing is great for building WRIST strength, but not so great at building HAND strength. Proho has a good idea too, if you don't have access to a gym, just carry some heavy stuff around or do some manual labor.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-13-2007, 6:52 PM Reply   
get one of those squeezy things or a tennis ball and squeeze it for a bit. i usually do it when im watching tv
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-13-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
cadesun, squats are fun but if youre limited to one an olympic lift e.g. clean and jerk would probably be the best bang for your buck.