Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-19-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
Has anyone tried this???Did it work? How much did it cost?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-19-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
what up Chuck!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-19-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
Teflon coating is applied similar to powdercoat - it has to be baked at around 700F to set.

What would be the point?
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-19-2007, 10:29 PM Reply   
Use Starbrite with Teflon. Works great!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-19-2007, 11:29 PM Reply   
I had it done on the last WakeWorld boat and I was not impressed. They said you wouldn't have to wax the boat for five years. I owned it for two and it definitely needed a wax, which Buzz was kind enough to apply for me (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/490668.html)! Needless to say, I won't be doing it again. I'll put that money towards regular waxing.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-20-2007, 2:19 AM Reply   
I got my black Lexus teflon coated and my experience mirrors David's, it sucked!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-20-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
OK, so this isn't teflon coating like you'd find in a frying pan...
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-20-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
I had a detailer quote me about $650 to put a Teflon treatment on my boat. Now that I am a detailer, I have checked into this more. Basically, Teflon-based polishes have a different chemical make-up than regular waxes. They are "supposed" to be longer lasting than a regular carnuba-based wax, and do to a point. I would guess they may last about twice as long, but several years is way off base, and just an advertising gimick. They cost a bit more than regular wax, but not a lot. I usually charge about $75 more if the person requests Teflon. Believe it or not, one of the best ones out there is from West Marine. It is their Premium Boat Polish with PTEF (Teflon). This was recommended to me by several other boat detailers. Best bet is either use a good marine wax, or a marine Teflon product like I listed above. Using it on a regular basis is always best. I have seen posts about waxing the boat after every outing, which seems like overkill to me, but if you are OK with that much elbow grease, I am sure you have a great looking boat. I would say that once every couple months would be the minimum, depending on your amount of use.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-20-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Just use Zaino. You won't be dissappointed.