Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (jcocci)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-21-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
Been looking at boats for weeks. Got it narrowed down to an '06 X45 or a 247. The MC dealer here appears to be way more on top of things than the Bu dealer. Cost on the MC is about $12K higher than the Bu. Both come with 8.1 engine. The MC fit and finish seems to be a notch above the Bu but for $12K is it worth it? How much should you let the quality, reliability and resources of the dealer factor into the decision? The Bu obviously places a premium on cockpit seating while the MC spaces it more evenly...where will more people spend time in the boat? Seems like handling in the BU may be a notch above the MC, even with the new rudder in the MC. Frankly the MC excites me a little bit more than the BU but again, is it worth $12K more?
Never spent this kind of $$$ on a boat and just looking for some last-minute input before pulling the trigger on something.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
I saw a red x45 on the water the other day and it drove me nuts!!! That boat is sooo sick! I kind of think the BU looks like a giant VLX. The X45 is very distinctive looking. I don't know your financial situation by I would go with the MC. I based my judgment strictly on looks as I have not ridden in either boat.
Old     (jcocci)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-21-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
That is an issue. Did the one you saw have the new graphics? I haven't been in either yet (hope to at end of this week) but the X45 is just so different from everything else out there right now. The one I'm looking at is blue/black and it is maybe the best-looking boat I've seen. The super-fly front takes some getting used to though.
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-21-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
Never spent this kind of $$$ on a boat like this? Don't know where people would spend time on the boat? I hope your just really inexperienced, your lack of info on your profile tends to lead to suspicion!

If you truly don't know the answers to these questions my guess is you probably shouldn't spend that kind of coin on a new boat. Break yourself in a little easier, if your inexperienced it would be a waste to trash either boat. Not to say you shouldn't get something, but a 24-25 foot boat is a lot to handle for even an experienced boat owner.

If your a gremlin go away!
Old     (jcocci)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-21-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
Chris - I have had a 23' boat for two years. I realize that obviously more people spend time in the cockpit. But I have had some people say that they really value a bigger bow, especially the MC superfly design.
I'm not going to trash either boat - don't know why you're giving me a hard time I know a ton about both of these boats. That's part of what makes it hard to decide.
What's a gremlin anyway? (I'm relatively new to the forum thing)
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-21-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
From the info you have said:
A. The MC dealer is better
B. The X-45 excites you more
C. The Blue & black combo is the prettiest boat you have ever seen.

Personally 10% more is well worth it when you consider AB&C
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
No, I saw on 05, all red, white deck with standard graphix... I do like the new MC "clean look"
Post some pics either way...
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-22-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Jeremy - sometimes people do a basic post comparing two similar boats (often between mc & bu), with not much profile, usually tends to be from one manufacturer or other, or fan of one boat or other, tends to be just a slam fest on both boats.
My apologies if your legit, I just thought your post was vague. Good luck in your decision.
Old    rar88            02-25-2006, 11:32 PM Reply   
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, the salesman at the MC dealer bugged me so bad I decided to go with the BU. It was a great decision, I have owned 2 others since, I have had both a 21 and 23. I haven't owned a 247 but I did ride in it at a demo day. It was sweet. It will probably be my next boat. Both are good boats. I think the MC tends to have a little more sex appeal when it comes to looks, but the BU IMHO performs better. I have been on the other MC boats (X30, Maristar, XSTAR) and the BU outperformed them. If it were me the decision would be easy, the BU, but either boat should do the trick. 12K? the spread seems a little high. If you decide on the MC check for a different dealer.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       02-26-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
I think you are only going to get biased opinions from here on out. It sounds like you like the MC and the MC dealer better. From your comments, I think you will always second guess your choice if you don't go with the MC. The question for you, is can you afford the extra 12g. If you can, definately get the boat you want.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-27-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
I sort of started the same post a few months ago, so check that out. There are wake pictures and other junk to look at. The deal I was getting was for the same price. The local MC dealer had/has a red/black X45 in stock that they were going to sell me for the same price as the 247. It was a smoking deal, but I passed it up for the 247 (see other post). Depending where you live, you may be able to drive a little and save a lot if you decide on the X45. I'll put that pic on here to show you the boat. The reason I went with the 247 was because of the interior layout. It was more roomy where I wanted it to be. Both are great boats. Upload
Old    grud8            02-27-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
I haven't posted in a while, but here are my thoughts:

I bought an X-45 last year and found that more people want to ride up front than in the cockpit. I routinely had more people up front than in back (especially kids.)

$12K is a lot of money but you don't want to be second-guessing yourself later. Buy the boat that is going to get you excited when you think about owning it.

All the arguments and debates fail to agree that what really matters when buying a boat is buying something that gets your adrenaline going.

Good Luck
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-27-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
so true, don't live with regrets.
Old    rar88            02-27-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
I haven't seen too many x45's on the water, but I have heard good and bad. I try not to sway people, but to be honest, I was talking to an owner of one last year, he got one of the first ones that came out, and he said he wished he didn't get it. I think it was because of a lack of power, and they may have addressed that in this years model though.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-27-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
When you think of this purchase, you should be so excited that you can't sleep. You have to sometimes just go with your heart. The MC dealer sounds like he is the obvious choice. Dealer support can make or break a boat owner experience.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-28-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
BF4L,
Are you ever going to post the wake pics you promissed a year ago?

Also,I was in a LSV last weekend at a boat show. It didn't have ANY storage up front. Is the 247 the same way?
Old    grud8            02-28-2006, 9:24 AM Reply   
Paul- There have been plenty of other pics of X-45 wakes since last year. I still don't have any pics. If I happen to think of it next summer I will take some.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-28-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
the 247 is the same if you get the bow ballast. It takes up all of the underseat areas...but worth it.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-01-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
it looks like the lack of bow ballast in the 247 is made up in the extended cockpit area.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-01-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
it looks like the lack of bow ballast in the 247 is made up in the extended cockpit area.