Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-03-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
i know that everyone knows about co2 on the back of the boat, but like many i thought it wouldent happen to me or any one i know but it did
last weekend a young girl partying on my friends boat while we were tied up passed aout and started foaming at the mouth.. shes ok but could of been a bad ending

guy like you i like blasting my tunes but in order to do that i have the boat on not thinking about the girls dancing or sitting onn the back

just wanted to bring it up
peace out
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
was the boat on?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2006, 9:48 PM Reply   
Wow that would have been quite scary to see that happen. Im glad your friend is ok. I have heard mixed story's about how long it takes to get gassed out. Some people say just a few min's and some people say it takes a bit longer.

With all the warning lables ect the problem still exist's. It seems like if your standing on the swim deck or sitting in the back of the boat getting gassed out should not be a issue but it is.
A few simple thing's come to mind that wight help this type of accedent happen.

#1 Upgrade you battery/charging system so you dont have to run your boat to play your system
#2 Dont have people at the back of your boat when the motor is running
#3 a CO alarm (a dash or auiable alarm) letting you know there's enough co back there at that time to be dangerous
#4 a transome mounted fan (some sort of blower thats mounted in the boat that blow's air from port in the tansome.
#5 A exhaust pipe that diverts the fumes down into and away from the motor
Old    xtremebordgurl            05-03-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
what type of boat was it? Really unfortunate, glad to hear she was ok tho, must've been scary.
Old     (zachr)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-03-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
Quick note, its CO, not CO2 that is dangerous. Carbon monoxide.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2006, 10:10 PM Reply   
I guess there was little wind, right?

Catalytic converters convert 99% of the CO to CO2 (adding an oxygen atom). Too bad they are difficult things to add to boats.
Old     (john_v96)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-03-2006, 11:03 PM Reply   
co sorry your right (smart ass)lol
it was a malibu 02 VLX but it can happen behind any boat

grant sure there are ways around it but i just wanted people to think twice when partyin

and its not like your getting gassed out your lucky if you can really smell it. and just a little bit can hit you also it can hit hours after exposer to it

and yes the boat was on garret

Old     (zachr)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-03-2006, 11:27 PM Reply   
Yeah, the best advice would be to tell people to avoid the back of the boat when it is on. Don't swim around it, don't stand on it, the usual. If you are willing to spend money to fix it, go with dual batteries. Add a deep cycle battery and an isolator to the main battery. When you want to run just the stereo, switch it to the deep cycle. When running the boat, put it on the combined battery mode, and it will charge the deep cycle to full charge again.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-03-2006, 11:53 PM Reply   
CO is orderless.

I heard about this family that died because they had two thermostats in the house. One thermostat had the airconditioning ON and the other thermostat had the heater ON. As a result, both systems were cranking and CO built up in the house killing everyone inside.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-04-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
This sure is a problem, and until people have a first hand experience of it they put it to the back of their minds. After a trip to Havasu last year I felt dizzy for ages, there were so many boats with engines running and no wind to disperse the fumes.

If you fall in when unconscious you sink like a stone and unless someone sees you fall you've got no chance. Even if they do see you fall in your chances are limited.

I have a friend who witnessed a guy falling off the back of a boat at Bartlett Reservoir AZ 2 yrs ago. His mates dived down loads of time to find him, but couldn't. His body was retrieved sometime later by divers. He had just been surfing then was sitting on the back of the boat before passing out & falling in.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-04-2006, 6:43 AM Reply   
Everyone needs to get in the habit of turning their boats off. It is your responsibility to turn the key off when you see someone step on to your swim platform. This is how the Sheriff would see it if you were out riding. It's not enough to tell people not to go back there if the engine is running. Especially if the stereo is cranking.

Glad it didn't end in tragedy Johnny.

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-04-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
Saves gas, too (especially that Orwood, 91 oct, $4.03/gallon gas). Seriously

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on May 04, 2006)
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-04-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
Johnny - Hope she is ok.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-04-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
Johnny,

Thx for the heads up... A good reminder to the family of WW's here that it very well can happen to anyone at anytime. good post & glad to here bout a happy ending...
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-04-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
I agree with J-rod 100%. IMO The boat owners need to make sure that their boat is NOT running when people are back there. Most non boat owner's (AKA hot girls dancing on the back of your boat) are not aware of CO and its not enough to tell them stay away especially when you are partying. Get a second or 3rd or 4th battery and shut your boat off. I wish more people would take that advice.

Peter: I have been to Havasu and seen what your talking about first hand. It gets so poluted in the channel at Havasu from all the boats running it is discusting. Most of the big hot boats with twin huge motor's belching out black exhaust is a eye buring experiance.
Old    bdub44            05-04-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
Just to clear some things up and a little extra info: symptoms of CO poisoning include
Headache
Fatigue
Shortness of breath
Nausea
Dizziness
The amount of CO you need to be exposed to to feel sick depends on your weight, general health and metabolism. Most importantly, if you suspect CO poisoning the most important thing is to get to fresh air immediately as it can take as little as minutes to be overcome.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-04-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
Hot chicks on the back, CO...hmmm...a good substitude for a roofie? Sorry, couldn't resist.

This however can't be said enough, don't run the boat with anyone near the platform.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-04-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
GD, a little update, indmar is putting their new exhaust system on all of the 5.7s they provide for 07. This includes the a catalytic converter into the manifolds from what I have heard. So all indmar supplied companies: MC, Malibu, Supra/Moomba will have this new system.

Johnny it is good to hear that everything is turning out ok.