Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-22-2003, 4:29 PM Reply   
For those of you who change your own oil out the hose through the drain plug. What do you think about this. It takes forever to drain so while I was waiting today I thought why not get another oil cap. Put a valve stem in it. Take a hand bicycle pump and add about 5 pounds of air to the motor. This would help push the oil out the hose quicker. Give me your thought's on this.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-me.com
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-22-2003, 4:30 PM Reply   
mine does not really take all that long to drain. so no problems here.
Old    steveaz            02-22-2003, 4:53 PM Reply   
I just use my tube (errr, I mean emergency raft) pump, pull the breather hose off the air cleaner and pressurize the oil thru the valve cover. But I agree Pheaton....MUCH faster, I'm just not quite as creative as you.
Old    bigd            02-22-2003, 6:46 PM Reply   
My buddy uses the drill powered pump down the dipstick method. I use the hose through the drain plug. It takes about 30 - 45 minutes for it to all drain out. I just still wonder if you get all the oil out with the pump method? He also spilled oil in the boat because he was handling a drain pan up in the boat rather than down under the trailer. I guess the pump method is good when you keep the boat at the marina all summer cause you can change the oil on the hoist in about an hour without having to pull the boat out of the water.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-22-2003, 8:01 PM Reply   
It might work. As long as you're using very low pressure, the only potential problem I see is the PCV valve. But if it works Steve's way, it should work for you.

I think I'd still prefer to suck it out through the E-Z change hose instead of pressurizing things. It might not be quite as fast, but there's less chance of things going wrong or getting messy.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-22-2003, 8:07 PM Reply   
I drained mine today and it was so slooww. I tried blowing air into oil filler to and the air just comes out breather into air intake, forget that. on a cool day as today was, 65 degrees it takes about 2 hrs. +
Old    keithf            02-22-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
I use the suction method. It takes me about 15 mins max to drain the oil when the engine is hot. Spin on a new filter, fill up, and all done in under an hour.
Old    bigd            02-22-2003, 8:22 PM Reply   
Alan - I fire it up with the fake-a-lake to get the temp up & then drain the oil - makes a big difference.
Old    steveaz            02-22-2003, 9:05 PM Reply   
For the record, the way I spoke of is with a cheap tube pump, very little pressure and the rubber hose from the breather provided the perfect seal with the tube fitting.

Steve
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-22-2003, 9:14 PM Reply   
I don't know about adding pressure sounds like it would work. I just let it drain over night.
Old    jdr            02-23-2003, 7:02 AM Reply   
I bought one of the ez change pumps from Overtons. It was intended to stick down the dipstick tube to suck out the oil. I added a swivel head npt adapter that allows me to attach it to the drain tube out the transom. It works geat! However, it was much more expensive than a bicyle pump
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-23-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
I agree with above, if you get the oil warm first, not just engine but oil, the process goes much faster.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-27-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
I agree with S Dub and BobD, run the motor, let the oil warm up, pull the oil cap, it'll take 15-20 Max.
Old    stillstandin            02-27-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
I did mine last week, took about 3 hours. I found that if I just took the dip stick out, and let some back pressure there, it helped, but still real slow. Im just gonna plan on pulling the hose through, putting the pan under it, and doing other chores. It will eventually be done
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-27-2003, 1:03 PM Reply   
definitely warm the engine first. the previous owner of my boat gave me one of these when i bought it: http://www.overtons.com/graphics/products/medium/26696M.jpg
i made a simple NPT adapter to hook it to the drain line instead of sucking out dipstick tube. works great, takes 5 min. neatly pour old oil into jug when engine is drained. wish i had one a long time ago.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-27-2003, 3:08 PM Reply   
I bought an old surplus vacuum pump, a big plastic jug and some tubing and use it for all sorts of fluid changes on the boat and cars. Takes about 5 minutes to drain 5 qts of oil from the boat. Just flip a switch and wait, no pumping and no mess. Total cost was about $50