Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-08-2006, 5:44 AM Reply   
Boat goes in April 1st and I have neither. Was in the water until Oct. 15th last year in shorts and was fine but have the feeling the water is going to be a wee bit colder! My lake is 640 acres, 65' max depth and avg. depth of 20'. what should I buy? Advice? Thanks.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-08-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
personally I would get a drysuit. I have both and never wear the wetsuit anymore. I go from drysuit to shorts and a heater shirt. I usually wear mine till end of may and then after mid sept. I figure if I have it why bother being cold. Plus the drysuit is nice cause when you get in the boat you aren't freezing cold and dripping wet. Go with a O'neil Boost or barefoot international drysuit.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-08-2006, 7:01 AM Reply   
after wearing a drysuit and then buying one this weekend, it is almost like cheating the cold. you will be in love with the thing in no time. no substitute.

just remember you cant pee in them!

whats shakin stan?
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-08-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
Make it three for drysuit. I rarely wear my wetsuit anymore.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-08-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
wetsuit. way more comfortable, ur gonna get wet in a drysuit. one hard fall and ur "dry" clothes are wet around your neck, or arms or feet. plus the seems go after a while and then they leak. they can be repaired but it costs money. if you dont wear a few layers or sweats underneath the drysuit ur cold. with a wetsuit u jus pee and ur plenty warm. its wakeboarding. you get wet in wakeboarding. you get wet. even if you dont pee ur warm in 2 minutes. half the time im flushing the warm water outta my wetsuit with cold water to cool down. you have way more mobility in a wetsuit. and when u fall ur suit doesnt fill up with air and u dont feel like the stay puff marshmallow man. hahaha. plus ive taken hard falls in both a wetsuit and a drysuit. the drysuit doesnt buffer the slap of the water verywell. a wetsuit acts like a layer of blubber kind of like a seal
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-08-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
Maybe I'm just crazy, but both are gonna keep you warm enough. High quality wetsuit will keep most water out and keep you warm, drysuit will keep you drier (and warm if you wear clothes under it). For me, it boils down to a style issue... and I don't think anyone will argue that there's absolutely nothing fashionable about a baggy drysuit. haha.

I have a JetPilot Storm series wetsuit, and I hopped into my lake this January when it was measured at 43 degrees without any problem staying warm... swam around for 15 minutes in fact. This was at Lake Cavanaugh, WA... 8 miles around, max depth of 80', 844 acres

It's largely a preference issue. Wetsuit= warm, minimalist, awkward if you have to get in and out of one in a boat. Drysuit= extremely dry, versatile, and less awkward to put on in a boat!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-08-2006, 9:31 PM Reply   
OK, but do they make a dry suit that doesn't choke you to death? I've tried them on before and my face was red in about 30 seconds!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-08-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
Water temp above about 48 degrees, a wetsuit. Anything colder a drysuit is a must.

Wetsuits allow much more flexability. Remember you still need to wear your life jacket inside a baggy style drysuit along with polar tec fleece or whatever your choice is.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-09-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
I was in limbo about whether to get a drysuit or a wetsuit. tried on a drysuit, and did not like how if felt. really tight around the neck and ankles. plus, the cost was pretty high. decided that the water I ride in, is really not thaat cold. low 50's at the coldest. went with a JP chamber. got a smokin deal on it. used it last weekend. water was mid 50's, and I barely felt it. like Jason said, I ended up flushing out the warm water with some cold water to cool down. way more flexible. I would say that if you are in water below 50 for multiple months, go with the dry suit. but if the water is in the 50's, go with a wetsuit. I highly recommend the chamber by JP. I love it!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-09-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Drysuit all the way! I also feel my drysuit gives me way more flexability then my 3/2 did. Ive only ever got a very small amount of water in the neck of mine. As far as it being tight I dont even notice it after I get up.
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-09-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
ttrigo,

How much, where and mm?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-09-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
I got it new from a rep for under $200. the suit is a 3/2. I was seriously looking at drysuits, and just did not want to pay at first. then I changed my mind, and then I tried one on. and then I decided to check out a new full suit. this thread has a little info on it.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/282170.html?1139368341
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-09-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
Chicago,
I sent you an email.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-09-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
If you are going to take more than one set when you go out, then drysuit all the way! Also you could share the drysuit---not happening with wetsuit. I have both. Once I used the drysuit, I have not put my full wetsuit back on.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-09-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
I agree also. I don't ever see myself wearing a wetsuit again, however there are a lot of people that hate them. I think it's just like the "what boat should I buy?" question, you really should try both and make up your own mind.