Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old    rsmith            10-06-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
Any fiberglass/gelcoat gurus out there that can shine some light on this? My friend uses 100% vinegar to clean his boat. He said the dealer (crownline/sanger) said this is best way to keep it looking new. His method is simple: using a sponge he wipes down the boat with vinegar then uses a towel to wipe the excess vinegar—he does not rinse the boat. It definitely works especially for the tough water spots. I am hesitant to use this method until I know for sure it will not ruin my boat’s gelcoat?
Old     (dhr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-06-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
I use 50% water 50% vinegar, work great 100%vinegar seems to harsh not on the gel but the stickers (could cause bubbles in stickers )
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-06-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
use vinager on the windshield for the hard water spots that do not come out. then windex seems alittle harsh on gel coat tho. it seems it would put a greasy shine to the boat.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
I've been using a 10/1 mix (water to vinegar) for about 6 years now. No problems and keeps all surfaces of the boat looking good. I mix in a good wash/wax a few times per year. I think 50/50 is a bit strong, but maybe it's just because I don't like the smell. A lot of people mix it like that.

BTW I use a spray bottle. Spray on the entire boat when I pull it out and wipe it off. Good as new. That said, if I have the boat in the water for an extended period and it develops a "slime line", then I'll wash it with some regular car wash solution.
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-06-2006, 4:04 PM Reply   
I have been using a 50/50 vinegar water mix for 2 seasons and it works great for taking water spots off, but I also folow it up with an eagle one spray wax right away.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-06-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
Vinegar will strip any wax from the boat surface leaving the boat unprotected. I don't understand why people are willing to spend good money on a boat but don't spend it on a quality cleaning product that will remove water spots and keep the wax intact. I can understand using vinegar if you apply a wax coat (or a spray wax) after you wipe it down with vinegar, but if not you will be leaving your boat unprotected.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-07-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Coach what is your experience with this? The only reason I ask is I have friends that try to say the same thing, but I have used a 50/50 mix and a shot of spray wax in the mix and it works like a charm. I always buy black boats and it looks better than any other black on the river in my opinion.
I got curious cause others have said what you say and have asked gelcoat/fiberglass guys and they say it should not be bad for your gel coat at all. It certainly does not replace waxing a boat regularly (which we do), but will not harm it. It will decrease streaking and waterspots is what they said.
I am no gel coat expert, but I will put the shine of my black boat up against the shine of any other black boat and I am sure I could prove a point. If you have any real evidence as to why it should not be done I would entertain switching, so back it up.
Thanks
Old    tige_joe            10-18-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
After owning 10 boats..... '89 Malibu, '93 Nautique, and now on my 8th Tige..... I have used nothing but 100% vinegar. Yes...it strips wax over time.....but everyone of my boats no matter the age or number of hours on the water, they've always looked in showroom condition. By the way....ever read closely as to what exactly is in a jug of "white vinegar"? It's 5% acid.....95% water. There really is no need for extra "cutting" of the product with more water, unless you're trying to economize on your $3 a gallon vinegar. Another thing I've used for years, is a mix of 2 or 3 ounces of Murphy's Oil Soap to 24 ounces of water in a spray bottle for the upholstery. It cleans, protects, and doesn't leave a greasy residue other cleaners leave behind. No matter the number of hours on the boat......between those 2 items......all my boats have looked every bit as good, as the day I bought them. Diggs.....you've got a great idea too....I have heard that works quite well too. I knew a guy years ago that did kind of the same thing, but he used a very small amount of Armor-All in his mix. He had an '82 Mastercraft that looked like showroom condition even 10 years later using his method. Have a few of those "Absorber" chamois in your boat, hit it with the vinegar on the ramp. Roll those towels up, and put them in the tube wet. They won't mold or mildew. When they get dirty, wash 'em.....put them in the tubes again damp, and they are ready for the next time. I've actually got 5 of them in my boat....that way everyone can help. It's really heartbreaking to see so many boats out there, new and used alike, that for just an extra 10 or 15 minutes on the ramp, will keep the boat looking great.....and also holding it's sex-appeal value, and monetary value for re-sale if you so desire.
Old    ccarter            10-18-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
Vinegar works great and is harmless. I agree with Joe...