Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-22-2003, 6:42 AM Reply   
In my home theater installs i have often looked at this product. I was thinking this might be a nice item for wiring tower sepakers.

what do you think?

www.21st-century-goods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=21st&Product_Co de=GKWIRE&Category_Code=STSND
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2003, 6:57 AM Reply   
I have thought about that too. AudioQuest used to make a really nice falt wire, I think F-14 was the model. Monster Cable made a flat wire too, very fine strands and the casing was paintible.

18 gauge seems a bit small for the amount of juice you might push through it. I could just be a product of years of bigger is better. I guess if you ran multiple runs of it, one per speaker you would be fine.

I just used Monster Cable S14/4RCL when I did mine. It's 14 gauge 4 conductor in one sheath. It's round and white, so I wrapped it in black tape. The other nice thing is that you can run it next to a speaker cut the sheath open and pull out the wires you need. Then keep the same run going to the next speaker. I have used it in wiring rear and out door speakers around the house.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2003, 6:57 AM Reply   
I have thought about that too. AudioQuest used to make a really nice flat wire, I think F-14 was the model. Monster Cable made a flat wire too, very fine strands and the casing was paintible.

18 gauge seems a bit small for the amount of juice you might push through it. I could just be a product of years of bigger is better. I guess if you ran multiple runs of it, one per speaker you would be fine.

I just used Monster Cable S14/4RCL when I did mine. It's 14 gauge 4 conductor in one sheath. It's round and white, so I wrapped it in black tape. The other nice thing is that you can run it next to a speaker cut the sheath open and pull out the wires you need. Then keep the same run going to the next speaker. I have used it in wiring rear and out door speakers around the house.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-22-2003, 7:17 AM Reply   
the monster is a little thicker.

the thing i was looking at is that 14 ga. equates to larger hole being drilled.
Old    k2_mn            04-22-2003, 11:18 AM Reply   
Why flat wire? The round wire will use less space for the same gague.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-22-2003, 11:36 AM Reply   
mount on top of tower. with adhesive.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-22-2003, 1:11 PM Reply   
why not just pull the wire inside the tower?
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-22-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
i am but for those not wanting to this is an easy alternative.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-23-2003, 6:21 AM Reply   
I see that would work ok, but it only took me about 45 minutes to drill all of the hole, run the wire and put the grommets in. Much cleaner look than on the outside. I have to admit I was a little nervous about drilling into the tower. It worked out pretty good though.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-23-2003, 6:27 AM Reply   
did you vacuum the string?
Old    sickboy            04-23-2003, 8:50 AM Reply   
Ty- I vacuumed the string, and it was really easy to do. You want to use string that is light enough to get pulled, but strong enough not to break when you're pulling the wire through.

mb
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-23-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
yeah I used some nylon string and then electrical taped the wire to it and pulled it back through. It was super easy