Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-13-2003, 6:56 AM Reply   
I was going to have the alternator on my boat rewound for the stereo, but they could not do anything with it. The company sould me a delco 1 wire withh 110amps to repalce it. When i hooked it up there are 2 wires not doing any thing, 1 wire is to the volt meter and the other tells
the alternator when juice is needed. The check engine light comes on, and i would like the volt meter to work, is there any thing out there to make this job easy? or should a pay for the new upgrade in alternator from mastercraft?

delco 1, 110amp, $140.00

mastercraft marine, 70amp, around $500 with new brakets for mounting
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-13-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
IF the alternator brackets fit mechanically it will work. The Delco style case is a good one. Electronically is going to be more difficult. The wire that goes to the volt meter can be hooked to the positive side of the battery lead at the alternator. The other wire is not used. Now what the computer system is using to determine if there is a problem is a whole other story. One wrong connection and bad things can happen. If you are unsure find a wiring diagram and use that or take it to someone who knows how. Of course there may be someone on this board that has been there and done that before.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-18-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
Keep in mind that a boat should always use marine versions of electrical and fuel compenents in the engine compartment. This certainly includes the starter and alternator.

The primary difference between the auto and marine alternators is the flame suppression "screen". Alternators make sparks as they operate. If you get any fuel vapors in the engine compartment, these fumes will get into the alternator and be ignited. If you have the flame suppression, that's where it stays, and probably wouldn't even hurt the alternator because there is too little air space involved. Without the flame suppression, the entire engine compartment ignites and your boat explodes.

It is very tempting to use the cheaper automotive parts, but it is illegal to do so. In addition to your own safety and loss if your boat should catch fire, you could be in serious trouble if your boat catches fire, burns down some other boat/structure, and then the investigators find non marine equipment in the engine compartment.

I witnessed an accident one time where an 18 foot runabout caused millions of dollars in damage. The boat caught fire at the fuel dock after filling up, then drifted into a dock of 50 foot cruisers. Our home movies of the event were used as evidence in the court case......

Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-22-2003, 5:52 PM Reply   
thanks for info! i found out to day it is a marine aternator, and thay will be able to hook up the outputs i need.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-24-2003, 5:19 AM Reply   
I haven't installed my 1-wire alt yet, but this weekend I plan too. They said it would work fine. They said tape off the extra wires but I am going to hook up what I can. I know there is other guys on this board that have done it.
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-26-2003, 9:36 AM Reply   
I put the alternator in today, works great! I just taped off the ends of the other two wires, and everything thing works fine. It really works great for the stereo.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-01-2003, 5:31 AM Reply   
I tried putting mine in but the housing of the alt is to big. I will try another.