Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-23-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
Anyone know where I might find an antique boat propeller, LARGE? Its something I'd like to put in a 4x5 ft space above my firplace in my new house. The space was meant for a tv, but my big screen is going on another wall? Thought an old propeller would look really cool! Or a big ship anchor?

Thanks
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-23-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
I'm guessing you tried ebay. Call a marine salvage company or some of the harbours along the coast.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-23-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
Checked ebay already... Nothing really fittin the bill...
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-23-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
I know where the Titanics parked
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-23-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
Titanics props MIGHT be a bit to big for my fireplace! Thanks though! haha!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-23-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
A 48" prop weighs about 800 lbs. Can you handle that inside - it may take a fork lift.

I suggest you look at the USCG station or a company that operates tug boats. I think you want to keep the diameter below 30" so it can be mounted with 3-4 guys.

Expect to pay scrap prices since most props are reconditioned until they are too small for use - then scrapped. If you find a scrapyard near a drydock, you may find the props there. Some tugs use steel props for durability from bottom hits - they will be much cheaper from a scrap price perspective.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-23-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
Anchors are really heavy by design, and props are really heavy because they are made of metal and metal is rather heavy.

As otheres have said, if you want it big then you are going to have to deal with a lot of weight.

If you want something in the 24 inch range you could probably pick something up fairly cheap at a boat salvage or repair yard. If you only have inland lakes near you then the pickings might be slim, but if you have any ocean going type of boating nearby then I would expect you would have nearby selection.

If are near a place that has old, large boats then it is very likely that there are repair yards that deal with these old, large boats. It is very common for an old, large boat to be hauled out of the water before it sinks and then sit in the repair yard until it is broken up and thrown away. Often times the prop(s) are either dicarded or recycled so you should be able to get something fairly cheap.

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-23-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
I would recommend a big wooden ship's wheel, we used to have one above the mantle at our lake house. Add a few porthole mirror's, small prop candle holders and your all about nautical...
Old    ilovetrains            01-24-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Have you checked Hobby Lobby (not sure if they have those near you.) They have stuff like that, usually cast out of resin or some alloy and then weathered to give it an antique look. The benfit is that it far lighter, but of course not very authentic.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-24-2006, 2:33 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone I ended up buying a reproduction anchor thats 22inches tall off of Ebay for around $50... Should look cool!
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-31-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
Mikeski,

Funny you mentioned the portholes. My father was in the navy in the 60's, corpsman, and then a flight surgeon for the Blue Angels actually. When my brother an I were kids, we each had a real porthole off a ship mounted into our bedroom doors. He even had plaques above our doors saying captain and first mate.

Most folks dont understand, but i always thought it was kinda cool.

DKJ
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-01-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
KStateAlumni,

Pictures please!

Thanks,

BB