Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-25-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
what are the differences between phase 5 icon or inland surfer loogey.
Old    surfdad            05-25-2008, 6:31 PM Reply   
Hey Dyllon, the 4skim is more comparable to the Icon, but I'll take a shot at contrasting the two.

Dimensions

The Icon is 50" long and 20 inches wide compared to the Loogey's 53" LOA and 22.5" width.

Traction

Starting in '07 the P5 boards shipped with EVA traction which is what the Loogey has, but the Loogey has a full deck traction, where as the Icon has a front pad and a kick pad.

Weight limits

The Icon is typically associated with groms, it's max weight recommendation is 165 pounds. The Loogey has a weight limit in excess of 200 pounds.

Fins

The Icon comes with a single trailing fin and P5 also has an option they refer to as a fakie fin - it's a small fin on the nose so the board can be ridden revert more easily. The Loogey comes standard as a twin fin with 3.5" fins. There is an option for a quad fin for some more cash.

Pictures of the fin configuration below:

Loogey:

Upload

Icon:

Upload

(Message edited by surfdad on May 25, 2008)
Old    surfdad            05-25-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
Continuing

Construction

The Icon is constructed using a divinycell cell core, I believe it is H80 which is a 5# cross link PVC foam - pretty sturdy stuff.

The Loogey has a composite construction, a low density EPS core - I believe it is 1# eps, then above that is a wood veener. Both use fiberglass and epoxy resin.

Shape

First is a picture of the boards for comparison:

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            05-25-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
The Loogey is both longer and wider, the other difference is that the Icon is designed to allow the boatd to be ridden revert (tail first). If you look at the nose and tail of the Icon, you can see they are basically the same a pin tail. The Loogey has a decidedly different tail and with the twin or quad fin configuration isn't really designed to be ridden revert.

MSRP - $

The Loogey lists at $545 - $550 for the quad option. The Icon lists for $395'ish. The fakie fin option adds something like $25.

The Loogey has more traditional surfboard rails - they are soft at the nose (round), blending to sharp at the tail (more angular at the bottom). The Icon has sharp rails the full length of the board.

Graphics

The Green Loogey is Green :-) with the white IS logo. The Icon is whatever color and airbrush they decide :-) They bill it as each board is unique.
Old    surfdad            05-25-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
Did I forget anything folks? If I didn't answer your question, feel free to ask more questions.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-26-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
what kind of wake do you need for the icon? and what kind of wake do you need for the loogey?

I have a 2006 mastercraft x-star!

thanks
Old    surfdad            05-26-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
We need to know how much you weigh, dyllon.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-26-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
100 pounds
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-26-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
or if their is an other inland surfer model but if you think phase 5 i like icon. i do not know much about inland surfer so i need help choosing
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-26-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
wich do you think? and what website to buy from?

thanks
Old    surfdad            05-26-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
The IS 4skim more closely resembles the Icon, but a tad bigger. Tell us how you want to ride dyllon. Do you have a skate background? Are you wanting to boost huge airs, or throw shuv's?
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-26-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
a little of every thing i am gonna learn but when i learn i want to be able to do all the big airs and shuv it's. no i don't have a skate back ground but my buddy has one and i have tried it so i can ride one but i am not to good. is an x-star a good wake to wakesurf on?

thanks
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-27-2008, 5:48 AM Reply   
acually am am learning but want to get good fast.
Old    surfdad            05-27-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
I hear 'ya. I'm not a boat expert, but I have ridden behind the X-star. The box the exhaust exits through really messes up the wake. You can surf that boat, but on all the X-stars that I have surfed, it's a mariganl boat at best.

The shuv is the one trick that will affect your decision in a HUGE way. Think of the shuv on your skateboard. There is no difference from the nose to the tail...but on the wakesurf there is a big difference. Most surfstyle boards, like the Loogey, have two or more fins and a considerable amout of nose rocker in some sense. When the board has rail mounted fins, like the Loogey, the one fin that is inboard/close to the wake when the board is revert (tail first like after the shuv) the wake tends to catch the wake and it will want to spin the board.

If you want to learn a shuv, IMO you're better off looking at skim style boards. P5 is the king. They offer sizes from the new scamp up through the oogle. Walzer, the IS 4skim, Victoria, Surftech and Calibrated all offer skim style boards, also. Each of those companies have websites and I believe most have online sales. IS and P5 are sold just about everywhere online including Bart's and the like. Wakeoutlaws.com also rep's many of those manufacturers.

I hope that I have properly informed you of your options and didn't follow the path that so many on this forum follow in their efforts to pursuade - where they intentionally omit useful and needed information, including alliances and relationships.

You should also know that I organize events and solicit prize donations from anyone that has a heartbeat. Which includes most folks on the list above.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-28-2008, 5:16 AM Reply   
just one more question i heard from a buddy that phase 5 are a hard board to ride.
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 5:25 AM Reply   
Well...they aren't as easy to ride as boards with twin fins that are deeper, but I don't think I would call any of the skimboards hard to ride. You rely more on your rails because there isn't a deep fin to aid in tracking.

Harder than the loogey to learn on? Yes, I'd agree.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-28-2008, 6:38 AM Reply   
is there a other inland surfer that is like a skim style board that would be easy to learn on butt still be able to do big airs and shuv its.
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Well...Inland makes the 4skim, I don't think that you could say it would be easier than a P5 - the designs are very similar.

I'm not quite sure I understand what your concern is Dyllon? Are you concerned that you won't be able to ride the P5?
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-28-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
yes
Old    surfdad            05-28-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Well, my guess is that your friend spooked you too much, but it's wise to listen to your gut. The Loogey is a more stable board and will be somewhat easier to learn on than the Icon. The extra surface area and more fin area will aid in making learning easier. Have you ever wakesurfed before? I was under the impression that you already know how, it would be good to know if this will be your first attempt at wakesurfing.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-28-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
Dang Dyllon, you just missed out on the yellow loogey on boarderbestbuy.com. It was on there for 269.99.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-29-2008, 5:06 AM Reply   
yes it will be my first atempt to wake surf.
Old    surfdad            05-29-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
That would have been a helpful bit of info to have, Dyllon. :-) I think maybe we'll start over at the beginning. I'd appreciate if you fill in any blanks for me, please. Do you wakeboard or wakeskate? In particular I'd be interested to know if you've wakeskated before - getting up on a wakeskate is very similar to getting up on a wakesurfer.

Let's get some basic info - how old are you? Are you still growing?

Your height?

Is the cost of the board a concern? If so, what's your budget on this?
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-29-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
I wakeboard i have done wakeskateing. so i know how to get up on a wakeskate.
i am 15 years old. i am still growing. i am 5 feet tall.
Old    surfdad            05-29-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
If you've got that kind of experience and at your weight you shouldn't have any problem with either of the boards you were comparing. You can swap the P5 fin out for something larger and deeper. That would make the board more stable. If you just aren't confident that you'll be successful, a twin fin like the Loogey, or the TWP Comp X 4.5 will give you some extra float AND stability which wouldn't be a bad choice and would make the learning process a bit easier.
However, if you choose either of those last two boards, you'll most likely have to give up the shuv.

If I were you, I'd probably go with one of the twin fins until I had a few miles under me and then if I wanted to start throwing shuvs, big spins and other skate tricks I would buy one of the skimmers. At that point, you may have grown a foot and put on 50 pounds, so it would be time to look at a Prop or 4skim.

Sound like a plan, bro?
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-30-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
thanks man for the help