Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-13-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
Anyone had a problem with their GT-50 amp? I am having to take my boat back to the stereo shop because I have had another amp with a "bad channel." When I turn on power to the stereo, one tower speaker hums so loud it sounds like a plane taking off. Unplug RCA's and it does not change anything. This is the second time in less than a year that I have had this issue and the shop is probably going to charge me labor for removal and installation of the new amp after it gets back from factory for repair (hopefully, replacement). Is this normal to charge for labor on a warranty switch out? Is there a better alternative to this amp that is more reliable? Thanks in advance.
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-13-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
get a wet sounds amp they have great customer service
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-13-2008, 10:14 PM Reply   
We had issues with one on a vehicle we took in on trade too...not sure if it ever got resolved.
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-13-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
Will, I am the Boston (And MANY other lines) rep in Northern California and I sell a lot of GT50's and over the run of that amp they have been extremely reliable. That's not to say that we don't see a bad one from time to time. Sometimes those bad ones are build related and sometimes they are install related. Boston has been making that amp for something like 5+ years without a major update because it works so well. I am sorry that you have had a problem (Twice). As for the shop charging you labor for a warranty.....I can't speak for them but most of my shops will R&R no charge at least during the product warranty period provided they sold you the amp. You might also talk to the shop and see if they would be willing to talk to there rep about asking Boston to replace the amp since it has failed twice with similar problems in less then a year. I do know this....Boston will do some crazy things to keep there customers happy.

Good luck and feel free to contact me if you need any help.

Scott
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-15-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Be sure to troubleshoot everything in the line that may be causing the issue, i actually had the exact same problem (humming that removing RCA's did not resolve) and it ended up being a poor ground on the head unit...ran a longer wire against my better judgment direct to the battery, problem solved.

As for the GT50, that thing was rock freakin solid for me for 2 straight years, and i ran all 5 channels as hard as they could go. The only complaint I had about the amp is those cruddy plastic feet, so i had a buddy of mine mill up some aluminum replacements, slid em in there...worked like a champ :-)

At any rate...i'm sure you've done some pretty extensive troubleshooting already, but in case you haven't, do!