Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    simba            02-06-2004, 7:18 PM Reply   
Went to the boat show today and here were the suprises to me anyway.

1. Xstar loaded and I mean loaded 60k, thought it would be more. Demo X-2 with 40 hours for 33,500 nicely equipt, mastercraft had nice prices.

2. SAN 60k and wouldnt budge and when told thats all they want for the xstar right next to them they started on how their boat is better MUHAHAHAH what a joke not saying there boat isnt nice but its so SMALL.

3. Tige 22v Loaded, 44k TIge 24V loaded 48k This is probably the boat I'll get, so much bang for the buck although I'm considering X-star now.

4. Malibu, LSV loaded, 61k and wont budge. When I told them I can get a X star for that they claimed the wake is way better on the LSV, thats when I couldnt help but laugh but the guy who rides SWORE by it. Then he went to say the Supra (they deal both skiers choice and malibu) is the best wake of all boats out there. Anyway, they were very proud of their malibus and yes they are nice boats but not for that kind of money.

Moomba XLV, no show, was disapointed but getting a loaded and I mean loaded 24V tige for 48k including freshwater cooling, galv trailer, ballast and every option you can think of for 48k I decided I didnt care to see it anymore.

(Message edited by simba on February 06, 2004)
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2004, 10:55 PM Reply   
The boats are very different now... so you need to go with what works for you... If someone doesnt like a particular boat... it doesnt really matter what the price is...

When I talked to some of the riders at the Pro Tour Stop... they said that they really liked the wake of the old X-Star (X-2)...

Some swear by the SAN.

As for performance and reliability and reputation... CC seems to be tops... but the boat is smaller... so if you are out to entertain large groups.. then you have to go to a bigger boat...

If you are a competitor and just a few serious riders are out training... then a smaller boat would do the trick...

People keep trying to compare the boats when you can't really compare... you need to get what works for your application...

I can't ride worth a crap!!! But I have one of the nicer boats on the lake...

So it would be great to have Murray, Bonifay, Byerly... come cruising by in a 17 foot Bayliner with Force Outboard, towing their stretchy rope from the tow hook, and suicide sandle bindings on a directional board and they would still kick my a$$!!!

So then would that mean that if I had the Bayliner I would be a better rider?

If all of the above boats were the same price... then what one would be the best one to get?

You would have people still buying different ones for different reasons...

It sounds like you like the X-Star... so go for it! And enjoy it? Who cares what other people say...
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2004, 12:36 AM Reply   
Ron-

Thats a sweet price for the x-star, I am guessing that that is with the 350 hp mcx engine. If you go with the x-star, and you like to just load you boat full of a ton of extra ballast and people I would reccomend going to a little smaller prop on the x-star with the mcx.
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-07-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
Kyle,
Sounds like you hate the new X-star. Why such personal hatred for a boat?
Old    tommyadrian5            02-07-2004, 8:41 AM Reply   
What are you thinking, an X-2 for $33,500, even with 40 hrs that's awesome.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
John,

I have no hatred to any boat. I will give you my analysis on how people buy $65,000 boats...

People come on here... and ask which boat should they buy? Then the debate begins... when all that truly matters is how the boat works for the person who is buying it and the dealer they are buying it from...

When thinking of spending $65,000 on a boat... who cares what anyone else has to say... get out and demo it...

Yet, when someone buys a used car for $1000... then test drive it... they pop the hood... they take it to their mechanic and pay him to ensure it is mechanically sound. They don't really ask for opinions from other people... they drive it... and make sure that it will do what they need it to do...

On the other hand... I saw some boats... $65,000-$75,000... X-Star... SAN... BU.. Tige... etc... Which one should I buy? The people should test drive all of them... dont rule any out because of what someone says on here!

All the boats are different... and might I add.. all the boats are good boats... So what may work for me may not work for someone else...

So for people to come on here and say one is horrible.. and one is the best ever....

People should buy a boat because they love the boat and because it works for them...

I always tell people.. because they are so diiferent... interior, size, storage, wake shape and size... buy all of the boats... then you can use whatever boat caters to the rider you are pulling... some like ramp.. som like vert.. some need more storage... some need more room for people... if you get all the boats... no need for guess work... you have all the characteristics one would ever need if a person had all the boats!

I see it quite often... people will take more time and spend more money on buying a $1000 used car, but will go more on opinions of others when making a $65,000 purchase of a boat...

Test drive test drive test drive.... and work with a deaer you like the most!

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
Also... I was incorrect... sounds like he likes the 24V the most... so I say go for it!
Old    simba            02-07-2004, 10:44 AM Reply   
One thing I dont get though is why X-star get all the bashing for its price which hey, I agree is too much BUT, after seeing the price for the SAN and the LSV, they are right up there with them in price although X-star is still a little more, look how much more differnt it really is.

Point in fact, yes CC makes a nice boat but cant you really compare a small boat like the SAN to the X-star? Not just in wake but in size, storage, style. Yes thats my opinion but I'm pretty sure most people for the same money would rather have an X-star than a SAN.

Funny thing is how people defend a boat by its "wake". So lets see, if your riding malibu or Tige you wont be able to pull off that S-bend because the wake sucks too much...... Oh but if im behind a SAN ill have so much time in the air I'll have no problems landing it!

No im not saying u are saying that but in general it seems to be a lot of peoples thought process. Sure we all like big wakes but once you get into the top 20 boats theres not a move you cant do behind the boat because the wake is too small.

Anyway, I made this post just to share some of the prices I seen while I was there, not to bash any boats, they are all very nice and all very expensive.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
I hear ya Ron... I like Tige personally... but I chose a smaller boat company for my own boat.. because I like to work with the dealer and boat builder to try and grow the franchise sort of speak... there are so many unheard of boat companies... using top end materials... and new technology as are the bigger companies... yet because it doesnt have the big name on the side of it... no one pays it any respect...

I started off my school with an Aztec Crow... and had pros and top amateurs ride behind the boat when in the area...

The one thing I have to say is how positive the attitudes are the top guys... never bash anything... say thanks for the ride... wake was nice... etc...

The Crow has a rampy wake... with a little too much wash with lots of weight... but guys were pulling s-bends... 911's.. 7's... etc....

So, as for my poor riding abilities... darn it... i couldnt blame it on the wake...

For the record though... I make up for my poor riding abilities with my great driving, double ups, triple ups, and ability to bail out a rider with exceptional driving and instruction....

Also for the record... "I WILL ALWAYS BLAME MY RIDING ABILITIES ON THE WAKE AND BOAT"

There is no way it could be me!!! It has to be the boat...

I will pay $100,000 for a boat when it does all the tricks known to man flawlessly.... Let me know when one is available...

I can do anything on Unleashed X-Box... but give me the real X-Star or SAN... for some reason cant do the same moves...

Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-07-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
What boat show are we talking about here? 22v loaded for 44k sounds like a smokin' deal. Was there ballast? What motor was in it?
Old    xtigeman            02-07-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
Yeah, I have seen guys do about everything posible even behind an early 90s model Bayliner Capri. Not that you cannot do the trick, but amount of air, how big you take the rick and etc. may be different. If you are really advanced, you can do most of the same stuff behind off any wake. If you are novice intermediate, you will ride better, get bigger air and be able to do more behind boats with great wakes.
Old    simba            02-07-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
Yes ballast, only upgrade on the motor was to the EFI.

Doug I know what your saying but, going from say a malibu wake to a SAN wake or whatever is not going to help you land the trick IMO.

Besides, the top 20 or so boats with the right amount of ballast are all big.

Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-07-2004, 4:57 PM Reply   
that s wierd because at the LA boat show they were asking 54k for the SAN w/the walk through transom.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-07-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
Ron, where was the boat show?
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-07-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
Walk through transom on a SAN? sounds like more seating lost to me.

Kyle, I agree with you in "you need to get what works for your application".

Boats are all about compromise, no one boat can please all. Some need more interior room, some less, some need the highest quality, some don't, some need a rampy wake, etc.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
Pleasanton boat show in CA.
210 Team 52K
211 Team 50K
Old    upupnaway            02-08-2004, 7:40 AM Reply   
Hey kyle, You seem to have hit the nail on the head. The car analogy is awesome.
To put it in perspective, ther are people up here on the chain and lake michigan with multi million dollar boats. Antique leather, cherry wood inlays, the works. They wouldn't use an X-star if you paid them.
Buy what works for you and forget everyones opinion. If you want to pick up chicks on the lake based on the price of your boat, be prepared to have them bolt for the first Donzai driven by a guy wearing a giant gold medallion on his chest-pelt that comes along.
Old    xtigeman            02-08-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
If you are happy with any of the wakes, then that shouldn't be a big factor on your list. I know most of the people I have ridden with are very anal about wakes and are always tweeking to get them right or bigger. I do disagree that the top 20 boats all have big wakes or at least great wakes. I have been behind a lot of different boats and there are less than 5 that I would buy based on wake shape, width and size and one is a used boat. Once you get spoiled by a really great wake, it is hard to be satisfied with anything less. I guess if you don't open than can of worms from the beginning you could be satisifed with something less.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
yea doug 5 best wakes from 2003 for me

Wakesetter vlx with wedge
CC Super air
MC X2
Supra Launch ssv
tie-Supra Launch dd(of course mine:-))/new 04 Moomba XLV nice boat with nice wake

** disclaimer : I didnt ride behind any 03/04 Tiges so really dont know much about them but i hated the old tige wakes..
:also i only rode behind the new Xstar twice so didnt really get a chance to feel it out but thats why it didnt make my list , A real good wake shouldnt need to to get to learn but im sure with time i would have learned to love it,it is a very nice boat with a big wake..

*Ive ridden behind almost all the top wakeboard boats out there including Moomba,MB,Centurion, Tige,and even an Aztec and Gekko .Hadnt had the pleasure of trying a Sanger or Calabria .

Still those top 5 seem to always be my top 5 period maybe the top one or two rotates a bit but always a steady Pro size, shape,caliber wake from those boats .

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
I have to say that the best wake to hit... is the wake that is left behind of the boat you are riding behind.

I can't imagine sitting on the dock looking at everyone's good or bad wake with a wakeboard strapped to my feet and my hands grasping the handle but the rope attached to nothing!

Anytime someone is buying a boat... test drive and get to know your dealer!

Take care!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
kyle but its sure is nice to own your own boat as well as know 20 or more boats to ride behind in any given year..that gives a person the right to choose and rate wakes as well as have experience enough to tell the good ones from the not so good ones and pass on this info..it also gives you the right to not go ona given day if you feel like the wake may not be to your liking which may take away from the fun and experience..im all for just hopping on any boat without thought or judgement because it all about hanging out and having fun BUT it sure is nice to have choices :-)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-08-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
if the wake is enough to keep you from having fun i suggest working on your edging technique.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2004, 9:25 PM Reply   
tim... you are right on!!! when it all comes down to it... a bad wake is still better than a good day at work!
Old    xtigeman            02-08-2004, 10:03 PM Reply   
Yeha, but why drop 40 large on what is not a great wake. You guys always try and twist it around. If wake is not that big of deal for you, don;t understand why one would need do much input about wake. For some, wake is the key consideration.
Old    hot4sun            02-08-2004, 10:26 PM Reply   
The money is only part of the overall equation. You have to drive the boats or you may sell yourself short. For many years I have wanted a Tige, tested a 22V last week along with an SSV for a purchase consideration. Between the two I felt the wake on the SSV was better, the SSV was quieter and the interior and exterior had a lot more appeal. Both had tons of storage and the quality was excellent. I thought the Tige was going to be a slam dunk over the Supra but ended up leaving with a different opinion. Opinion is what it is so you have to make your own. The prices are great on the Tige but check out all your options.