Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-11-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
So I'm in the midst of redoing all of my floor, stringers, transom, etc. I would like to add hard tanks and the areas I would like to place them are foam filled. My glass guy thinks its a bad idea. I get the fact that its more likely to completely sink if something goes haywire. Whaddya you guys think???
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Maybe you should replace it with lead....

J/K - But, the foam will keep it afloat if you swamp it. I filled a jet boat full to the top with water once, and it floated fine with all the foam in the hull. Without the foam, it will go down. Your call I guess.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-11-2009, 2:38 PM Reply   
The engine and trans are the only real negatively buoyant part of the boat. tower maybe. Can't tell what boat you're working on, but you may be able to "move" the foam so you have both. Ballast system and neutrally buoyant if swamped boat. Keep in mind any lead or other fixed weight you put in there will need to be accounted for.

My point is, you can rip out the old foam and spray new stuff in the gunnels (or anywhere else) if you're determined to do it....

** Disclaimer ** Have no idea how this will affect the structural integrity of your boat...
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-11-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
This is for an older Sunsport. I kind of accounted for the neutral buoyancy of water ballast. I think it's worth a shot. Not to mention the foam is mad expensive...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-11-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
If you sell the boat and have removed the buoyancy foam you might have a significant liability, regardless of any 'as is' clause in the contract. Personally I'm looking at adding foam to my boat.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-11-2009, 6:29 PM Reply   
Personally I don't like foam. It will always get wet eventually and rot out your stringers and floor. Glass it all in real good but leave drainage/breathing room. I'd do the tanks. If you're that worried about sinkig just be sure to have a vest within arms reach because if it's gonna sink it'll sink fairly quickly with no foam. If you're gonna do any foam I'd keep it up under the gunnels as was suggested. Adds some safety but it'll stay dry.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-12-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
Matt did you get my PM? :-) We are discussing this on Supra forums too.

It's not like you are removing all the foam from the boat - just enough for two tanks in the rear, and you can always add additional foam in a new location.

Have you measured out a spot where they would go? Would they even fit?

I have heard of an 87 Saltaire in MN with 2k under the floors.

How's your SunSport? How did you find out about floor issues? Peace bud