Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (98air)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-25-2004, 6:00 AM Reply   
I've had problems with every "Bulldog" trailer jack I've had... on my air, super sport and old 2001 model. I'm wondering if there's any way to lubricate the thing? Or get a replacement. I've gotta use both hands to get it up or down (whoa, that sounds bad)! Never in salt h20. And is only 6 years old.
Old    whitechocolate            08-25-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
Hey Rob. Have you ever seen one of these jacks that you drive over and it jacks up your trailer. Ill post a photo below. You stand it up infront of your trailer axle and drive over it and it raises your boat.

(Message edited by whitechocolate on August 25, 2004)
Old    whitechocolate            08-25-2004, 8:42 AM Reply   

Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-25-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
Grant, I think he's talking about the trailer tongue jack. BTW, I had to use one of those jacks that you have a pic of a couple of weekends ago coming home from Bullards. The thing cracked on me, and I ended up just using the jack from my truck.

Rob-
You can buy replacements from Overton’s or even your dealer. I had to replace one on my old MC, it was only 4 years old. I now rest the tongue on a jack stand when the boat is just sitting, that way the trailer jack isn't holding the weight all the time.

mb

(Message edited by wakehound on August 25, 2004)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-25-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
For years and years I have owned trailers that had the tongue jack built in, an integral part of the trailer. The jacks were always built into the center of the tongue and usually there was no easy way to replace them.

Back in 2001 I bought a boat that came with a trialer from DHM. This trailer had a tongue jack that was mounted to the side of the tongue.

I remember my first reaction when I saw that: "cheap!".

I changed my mind on that after the first couple of times I used it. First off, I only had to crank it up far enough to get the load off, then pull a pin and rotate it up. So much easier! And it gets it way, way out of the way, no possible way that you can drag the jack wheel on the ground and destroy it.

Best of all, it can be easily replaced! I think back on all the trailers I have had where the tongue jack was stiff, or the wheel was destroyed, and I simply lived with it for years....

Rod
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-25-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
Rob,

There are several different brands, most are availabe online through Overtons, Ski Limited, Barts, etc. If by chance it is like mine, welded to the trailer and discontinued, you might be able to get parts directly from the manufacturer to rebuild it. I replaced the gears and bearings on mine with parts from DHM.