Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-09-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
i hadn't washed my truck since december. after all the rain and snow it's been through, i finally washed it yesterday and can't get the wheels cleaned. anyone have any suggestions as to what to use to get all the crap off? also, the screw that keeps the cap in place is rusted. what can i use to rid of the rust?

here are pics

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-09-2008, 3:11 PM Reply   
If you've tried commercially available chrome wheel cleaner and found that it's not working, as a last resort I've found that '0000' SUPER FINE steel wool works fantastic on CHROME wheels. Wax the them after they're all cleaned up too, that'll help keep them shiny longer. Also I'd replace the cap screws with stainless ones to get rid of that rust.

-Steve

P.S. Do not use steel wool on polished aluminum wheels, you will ruin the wheels.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
Mr clean magic erasers markets them as a wheel cleaner too. My wife bought me them but their exactly like the normal ones. I've used them a few times and they worked pretty well.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-09-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Joe have you tried the cheap armor all wheel cleaner? I have found that stuff has cleaned wheels better than anything else I have used in a long time.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-09-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
Use a Clay Bar! It will fix you up on the wheels, assuming the chrome is still totally there. I've found to use it anytime after a snow storm to get all the salt/sand off. It's about the only way.

Bout the only thing you can do for the rust on the screw is get a new stainless screw.
Old     (littletna)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-09-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
Very fine steel wool cleans them up as long as the chrome is in good shape. I use it on all of my chrome and it does not scratch the chrome. I use it to remove bugs on my chrome bumpers and the wheels. Remember it has to be Fine steel wool though.Also DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL ON POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS, ONLY ON CHROME !!!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-10-2008, 6:55 AM Reply   
I've used the Clay Bar to clean my rims too. Worked really well.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-10-2008, 7:46 AM Reply   
I used this "Hot Rims Chrome Wheel cleaner" from Meguiars and I was really blown away at how good it worked. Clay Bar's are always good too but this stuff was exceptional. They use Mag Chloride on our roads in Colorado and that stuff just won't come off of chrome. I used this stuff and let it sit and it seriously worked magic.

I also used it on the billet bowtie on my Avalanche and it looked brand new even after 4 years of road grime and no scrubbing to it.

I have never had ANY luck with any wheel cleaner ever and for some reason I picked this stuff up and now I tell everyone about it because it really worked for me.

http://www.meguiars.com/?wheel-care/Hot-Rims-Chrome-Wheel-Cleaner
Old     (rugdr)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-10-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
If you have a local detail supplier that you can buy from, most of them have what they call a chrome wheel acid. This stuff is completely safe on chrome wheels when used correctly and it will get near about anything off the wheels. It has worked wonders for me. I also second the clay bar if the chrome wheel acid isn't available.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-10-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
I use the mothers power ball, works great. I used it with flitz and they turned out good as new. It really helps if you take the wheels off one at a time to make sure you get in there where the cap is and the lug nuts. Good luck it's time consuming. If you use flitz it puts a protective coat on it when your done and stuff doesn't stick to them as good, I've also waxed my wheels in the past and that worked really well also.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-10-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
mothers powerball is the way to go. i use it on my tower speakers, racks, wheels, or anything that is polished on the boat that gets waterspots