Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (dereka)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-04-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
This is my first time posting something. I hope I am doing it right. I really need some advice on buying my first boat. My wife and I have grown skiing behind mostly shallow Vs (1972 Kona my Dad still has in cherry condition in his garage). Now it is time for our own boat and with two kids and the popularity of wakeboard, figure this is the direction we should take. QUESTION: I have found an 02 Sanger V210 with only 18 hours it and an 02 Calabria Pro V with 190 hours. Both boats are almost fully loaded and around the same price. I don't plan on buying anything else for a long-long time. Please help. Thank you for your time and see you all on the lake someday soon.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
tough call. both are very nice. i love my sanger but have heard good things about the calabria. isn't the prov a 23 footer? if so you need to consider storage also.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-04-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
That's funny, Derek.. those were my two choices as well. I like the Calibria's a lot and I've heard nothing but good about them. One of the things That swayed me was that 99% of the time there are only 3-5 people on my boat, the Calibria seemed to be more boat then I needed. I went with the v-210 and I'm glad I did, not because I think the Sanger is a better boat,mostly because I just can't see storing and paying for the fuel in that beast. Comp boats use a lot of fuel and with the Calibria I'd be paying for more boat(fuel/storage/etc.) then I need.. It's just too big. Very nice boats, though.
I don't think you'd be disappointed with either boat.. The Sanger wake is sick when weighted, storage is plenty, there's enough room for just about everything you need to bring + people.
The drive is awesome/smooth and it tracks like it's on rails. I really believe that Sanger is the best bang for the buck.
I would suggest testing them both. It's really going to come down to which one you like better.
If you did a search on WW for both boats, I think you'd find that Calibria and sanger owners have almost nothing to complain about.

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2003, 10:59 AM Reply   
PSSST...never trust anyone with no hair like barry.
Old    calair03            12-04-2003, 11:08 AM Reply   
I am on my second Calabria. I sold the first for what I paid for it. I have had no problems and I love my boat. I also have a bunch of friends that own Calabrias and it seems once you experience one, you are stuck on it. You really can beat the seating, storage, or the handling of the Pro-V. I could go on and on.
I would much prefer a Sanger than a mass-produced boat but I am not too keen on the "hump" on the back of the boat, or the fact that nothing on the boat has really changed on the boat in years, but that is just my opinion.
Either way it is your decision and I doubt that you will hear a bad word about either boat. Try them both and see which one suits you.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-04-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
Derek First off welcome.

The Pro-V is only 21.4" long the 23.6" is with the platform. Not a huge boat but a wide boat with tons of storage.

Both boats have plenty of room in them. I would say from what I have heard they both ride great in rougher water conditions. Though Sanger has been around for a long time, Calabria is not new to the boating industry. They have been around since the eighty's just under a different name (Ski Brendella).

Both boats will have the same engine and running gear so that is not an issue.

V-210 Pro's
Ride
Con's
Wood
Ballast will take up storage

Pro-V Pro's
Room
Wake
Ride
Ballast
Composite construction
Con's
Might use more gas but that is a guess

I like others considered both the boats and went with the Pro-V for a couple of reasons. Ballast takes up no storage space, has more leg room and has composite stringers and floor. I felt this would be better in the long run. Since I like you plan on owning this boat for a long time.

Both are great boats and a great value. Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.

I am also on my second Calabria. The first being a D-drive.

(Message edited by phaeton on December 04, 2003)
Old     (dereka)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-04-2003, 11:28 AM Reply   
Thanks guys for the fast response. I am still torn but I'm thinking the Sanger? Seems to be a bit more timeless and packs a bit more horsepower. Did a search on this site for the V210 and have been reading great reviews all morning. Ya, working hard!. Can't seem to get focused today with visions of boats dancing in my head. I will keep you all posted and thanks again. PS. like the Bumble—"Bumbles Bounce"
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
the ballast in the sanger is up to 700 in the floor which takes up no storage either. If I am not mistaken that is the same weight as the pro-v. Doesn't the calabria have a very fast fill ballast though?
Old     (dereka)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-04-2003, 11:51 AM Reply   
Ya, I know the ballast in the Calabria fills in 45 seconds and empties fast too. That the extent of my ballast knowledge. Can I get a 700 in the floor (ski locker?) or how much could I stuff in it. I do not want to scarifie any storage for sacks. I have two small kids, wife, dog and instant friends once they knew I was boat shopping. I'll need the room but am willing to give up the ski-locker.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
myself and a couple of buddies have custom sacs from letsgoride.com and they fill to about 700 pounds in the floor. does the sanger have a stock ballast in it?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-04-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
I love my V210 but never seen a calabria so I can't compare the two, but from what I read the Pro-v is also an awesome boat for space & handling, and has the best ballast system available in any boat.
The Sanger is exceptionally well finished and is a class act, I could rave on and on about things I like about it. Either way you will be super stoked. I would suggest a test drive with you "usual" numbers and get a feel for both boats. Good luck, exciting times are ahead.
Old     (dereka)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-04-2003, 11:59 AM Reply   
No. The Wake series does. I have run across one of those that is also in my price range. It has 125 hrs. on it—nice looking boat too.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-04-2003, 12:03 PM Reply   
is it from a dealer or party?
Old     (dereka)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-04-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
All three boats are from private parties. The owner of the Calabria has been awesome. He has given me great advise and is spending tons of time walking me through the pros and cons of each, even though he is partial to Calabrias. Stand-up guy and I really appreciate it! Still, my head is spinning.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-04-2003, 2:11 PM Reply   
I'm on my second Calabria. absolutely love the boat. The Pro V has probably the most room and storage of any boat its size. 21'4". As far as horsepower, I have had the 315hp and have never needed more. Only when you really weight it down, we're talking 1500# additional ballast or live in the clouds like Phaeton, would you need more. And you could always re-prop. Also look at extras(PP,heater,shower,stereo,ect.) on both boats in comparing. Good luck. You will be happy either way.
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-04-2003, 7:14 PM Reply   
Dont buy the Sanger....!!! Damn wooden boats with the humped rear end that has low gunnels...STAY AWAY FAR AWAY......oh yeah I have an 03 v210....I will shut up now.:-)

Im going up to Sanger in the AM to pick up my boat. PERFECT PASS IS IN.....

Sanger has been great to me,they got to be doing something right if they have building boats for 50 years.....

(Message edited by goth2o on December 04, 2003)
Old    opa            12-05-2003, 5:03 PM Reply   
Buy both boats. Use them for a year then sell the one you like least. Bert and I will help you out - testing the boats of course.
Old    00prostar205v            12-06-2003, 8:44 AM Reply   
The finish work on Sanger boats is top notch. Their drag boat heritage is the stuff of legends. I wish I never sold mine (94 DLX). I,ve read posts here about gelcoat and stress cracks in Supras, Moombas, MC, Malibus and CC. I have never heard Sangers mentioned in these posts.
I don't think you'll be sorry w/ a Sanger.
Old    00prostar205v            12-06-2003, 8:54 AM Reply   
Whichever you choose have the engine checked out COMPLETELY. Don't pay too much mind to the engine hours as 18 means very little if it was abused or overheated and 190 is really nothing if maintained well. You are in Lakewood, CA? I would want to know if any of these boats have been in salt water.