Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
Has anyone skipped the head unit and just used a switch on the dash to turn on the amps? What about treble and bass controls? fading could be accolmplished with dials on the dash also...any other foreseen problems?
Old     (duramaxer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-05-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
I have just the ipod controling the whole stereo in my boat. I found that I could control fade, bass and treble with just the x overs and amp levels. The stereo sounds good to me other that don't forget your ipod at home (not that I have done this or anything). I have had this for 2 years now with no issues yet.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
what about bass and treble for bigger stereos?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-05-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
tried an eq?

very interesting... i'm assuming you would use some interface to go to RCA's then straight into the first amp. (or split then to amps.) good idea. I've got a few CDs, but I honestly think 97% of it is on the pod too....
Old     (duramaxer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-05-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
How big are you talking about?
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-05-2007, 8:12 AM Reply   
Haven't had a head unit in my boat ever and don't miss it. Tune the system with an EQ if you have to.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-05-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
Ty, to answer your question, IMO if you haev a fairly large system, exspecially if your trying to integrate pro audio with car audio equipment you should at least have an eq along with the ipod for tuning.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
about 1700 watts with sub and tower speakers. An eq might be in order or should I just stick with a head unit?
Old     (duramaxer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-05-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
That is about what I have running in my boat now (6 6 1/2" inside the boat 4 6 1/2 bi mods on the tower and 12" sub) and I don't have a problem balancing it out at all with just the amps and x over also there is some eq adjustment on your ipod. Well I guess it is more just tone adjustment but it might help you out some.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
you are talking about an active crossover...not just on the amps, right?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-05-2007, 8:50 AM Reply   
if your running an EQ you mide as well be running a deck as well.. why wouldnt you want to run the deck?
Old     (duramaxer)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-05-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
I have x overs (high pass and low pass) in the amps that allow me to adjust bass level/volume to the sub and along with the tone/volume that will go to the rest of the speakers. It definatly is not as percise control of sound tone as with the head unit but a eq should take care of that for you if you are worried that the sound tones will be substandard.
To be honest I am not sure that I could tell the difference anyway when the boat is running and the wind noise etc. This setup works and I am pleased with the sound. I am sure that it wouldn't win any awards though.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-05-2007, 8:57 AM Reply   
that is what I am trying to determine
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
I do the EQ only thing in my truck....works great!!
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
i was doing this setup before.. and had it all set up to work like this..

ipod connector from peripheral.com they have one for about 50 bucks that uses the docking on the ipod.. charges it also.. and has rca outs

Sound processer from some were with at least 1 input 3 outputs (front/rear with sub) has master volume control as well as bass control and front/rear fade.. as far as price goes arc audio had a good priced one with all these features model number was KEQ-5

the rest would be simple rca outs to the amps.. and so on.. this should allow you to have all the control you want

hoe this helps some