Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-22-2004, 3:40 PM Reply   
Let me know what you think...

http://www.wakeworld.com/contests/2004/1080.asp
Old    catalyst            02-22-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
holly crap, this sounds nuts, i hope somebody does it. But i must say i didnt like the way you said park never completely did it cause he totaly did. He was ahead of his time. But i think this will be cool maybe well see another 1080 or atleast some really sweet crashes.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-22-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
I never said Parks didn't pull it off. I just said that the sequence of him doing it doesn't show the whole trick, which is a bummer. The sequence seems to start late so you only see the last 900 of the trick. However, I have no doubt that he actually did it since he looks to be approaching the peak of his jump in the first pic. I'm sure he was able to squeeze a 180 in there before the camera started clicking! :-)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-22-2004, 4:34 PM Reply   
yea we do need a very good full video shot of a few for sure..hope this gets it done..good idea Dave...
Old    beerdrnknboardr            02-22-2004, 6:36 PM Reply   
sounds like a great idea. and i defiantly plan to give it a try a few times this year. I know i wont get anywhere close to actually doing it, but hopefully I'll get some good footage of eating
Old    slideit            02-22-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
gay- who ever made the rules knows the program, nobody is going to not slip the start or finish, i call bull on the whole idea of a cheap ad! not what this sport needs!
Old    cdn_wkbrdr            02-22-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
Don't listen to that dave. Your always gonna get some haters. I'm definatly excited to see the footage of people trying it. And hopefully someone even landing it. Maybe a wakeworlder will pull it of. It's cool how you are giving out free stuff to the failures too. If it was not ice water here I would be out failing!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-22-2004, 7:20 PM Reply   
I'd probably take offense if only I understood a word of that post! :-)
Old    beerdrnknboardr            02-22-2004, 7:26 PM Reply   
I think those rules sound good cuz you want it to be a legit trick behind a wake boat, with out them it would be to easy to "win" with out really doing what the contest is designed for. Also, if somebody tosses one in a televised comp are they automatically the winner?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-22-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
So does Parks qualify if he sends you footage? Or are pro's disqualified? Not to mention one's that are sponsored by other energy drinks?
Old    beerdrnknboardr            02-22-2004, 10:04 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure this is sponsored by 1080 wakeboard gear, not the energy drink (which i think is actually called 180)
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-22-2004, 10:30 PM Reply   
you're right my bad.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-22-2004, 10:31 PM Reply   
Dave, If you'll cut me a check for $180 I'll send you some footage of me doing 180's
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-22-2004, 11:15 PM Reply   
Everybody is allowed to submit video. I double checked with Parks yesterday just to make sure nobody has been pulling off 1080's lately and he confirmed that nobody has. He's stoked on the contest, along with a lot of other pro and Junior riders that have heard about it. He also jokingly said, "Go ahead and put my name on that check!" :-)
Old    lachlantait            02-22-2004, 11:17 PM Reply   
i can tell you that mark was the FIRST to land it..
quote;
"It started when mark and parks were out riding one day in florida, and they were challanging each other to do certain tricks, throwing in certain grabs.
Anyway, they challanged to go to 1080.
So the story goes, mark landed one either that day, or some time shortly after.
As soon as he got him he rang home and told his dad he landed a 1080, and told him the story.
Park has as far as I know, only ever landed one 1080 ever (maybe im wrong here), but he was lucky enough to have someone shooting a sequence at the time, and they got it on film.
Park has never since been able to land one, but maybe since the influence (or threat) of someone like Mark to push him maybe he just isnt trying as hard.
As far as Mark's family know, noone in the states has the 1080 on film (stills or motion).
They suspect someone in the uk "might" have it on film, as he landed plenty of them over there, and that is where he was trying such things as the 1080 with an olay for the last rotation.
Again, I dont know of marks talents as much as those that rode with him for years, so maybe they will be able to correct my stories, or add some more"

this is from someone that use to ride with mark and is a very credible source in the australian wakeboard industry
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-23-2004, 2:31 AM Reply   
I've never heard of anyone who might have a film of Kenny and the 1080 or any mention of it in England. Either they don't have it or keeping it hush, hush.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-23-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
Hahn,
Maybe it is just early and I am sleep deprived. But you had me spitting up coffee.
Reminds me of why I love this site.
E.J.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-23-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
I don't see a Stiffy Tower exclusion. I think if someone is somewhat close to landing one, they could do it with that extra help. It's just like double S-bends or whatever on the cable or ridiculous spinning on a kite. That upward pull could really help.

Maybe $1080 isn't really worth it, for someone that good, to track one down though.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
THIS IS SWEET! Awesome idea. I would like to see some crash videos come from this too. There should be no shortage of face plants.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-23-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
I like it!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
i'll send my video in today... woohoo 1080$ richer
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
face plants hell, you mean concussions from that high up
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-23-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
Awesome idea Dave. I can't wait to see all of the video.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
im going for it when i get home next week......with no handle, haha
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-23-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
I like the disclaimer at the beginning. Not that I can do the 1080, but hey my chiropractor could get that new car he's been wanting.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
I tried a bunch last night and made two. Unfortunately I couldn't find the footage when I woke up

Now what I think will put a twist in the whole contest is the required CGA vest thing. How many people at that level wear or I should say would be willing to wear CGA vests?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-23-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
I tweaked the language on the contest a little to address some of the good points brought up on here. I specified that the rope has to be attached to a standard-sized tower or pylon (no Stiffy).

I also added to the disclaimer that people who are attempting this should already be able to pull off a 720. I think that makes a lot of sense for safety's sake.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2004, 7:14 PM Reply   
i dont know anyone that wears a cga approved vest actually, atleast that is decently good
Old     (drewsmug)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-24-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
didn't the contest also say that you had to do it during competition
i think people are forgetting that part
or maybe i read it wrong
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-24-2004, 10:18 AM Reply   
No, it didn't say that it had to be done in a competition. I did say that once it is done in a competition, it will be on par with Tony Hawk's X-Games 900.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-24-2004, 6:04 PM Reply   
so dave, they do have to have a cga vest on though?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-24-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
Yup, that's what it says in the rules.
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-24-2004, 10:13 PM Reply   
this contest sounds pretty gay to me. i don't like it.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-24-2004, 11:21 PM Reply   
Would you like to elaborate as to why you believe it is "gay?"
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-25-2004, 3:49 AM Reply   
Dave,

Don't get discouraged by the haters!! Thanks for running the site and thinking of new things to help keep things fresh and the sport progressing.

(Message edited by supraman on February 25, 2004)
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-25-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
Dave,

I think this contest is pretty darn swell. It welcomes in the 2004 season with a little twist and excitement, which is much needed in my opinion. I AM a bit surprised by some of the negativity surrounding this contest. Maybe some people misinterpreted your write-up and the contest rules.

Perhaps we can convince Jimmy Wolf to try a few since he can already do back-to-back 9's. Looking forward to the crash videos.

Also, any suggestions on how can it be proved that the vest is cga??

J. Lembas
Fluid Concepts
http://www.fluidconcepts.net
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-25-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
just like fluid concepts mentioned i dont see why there are so many people putting down this contest. it is just something in trying to help the sport progress, all of you that are putting it down are ********s and David keep up the good work.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-25-2004, 7:34 AM Reply   
He's 19 Dave. He's probably still trying to figure out his own sexuality.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-25-2004, 7:36 AM Reply   
Anyone care to guess on who will win this?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-25-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
I'm not worried about proving that it's a CGA vest. As long as I can't disprove it, I'll be happy. Obviously, if they're buck naked from the waist up, that's going to be a disqualifier.

Last night at dinner (as we planned this year's charity golf tourney) we were speculating on who would pull this off. I think if you had to bet on one person, you'd probably be silly not to take Parks. However, I have a feeling that some young, hungry Junior or other amateur rider looking to make a name for themselves might surprise everyone.

When I told Jimmy Wolf about the contest, he was completely stoked and said he would do nothing but 1080 attempts until he hits it. This is the kind of excitement that we're trying to generate and I'm stoked to see it happening!!

Pros like Parks, Adkison, Sanders and others have expressed what a great idea it is. Amateur riders have expressed what a great idea it is. How you can be against something that creates such a positive vibe is beyond me. I guess there will always be haters no matter what you do. I'm sure somebody would call our Charity Golf Classic gay too. What can you do? :-)
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-25-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
Your whole website is gay
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-25-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
Not that there's anything wrong with that! :-)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-25-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
It just shows alot that you don't deleat the negative, non-helpful posts all together. No matter how many people have a problem with it theres 100 fold that think you've come up with yet another great idea and thank you everyday for have this site with the freedom to disaprove in the first place!
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-25-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
dave,
hopefully you don't take my post personally but here's why i don't like the contest. i don't like the contest because i think wakeboarding should be concentrating more on making moves look good. i've seen some of this recently and like it. an example would be randy harris' little rewind spin that he does in blacklist. (don't know what you'd call it) i think this 1080 contest promotes a more huck it mentality kind of like what snowboard super pipe looks like. if the pros want to do it that's they're deal, good for them. i won't lose any sleep over it.

j-rod,
actually i just turned 20. you are so awsome. i can only hope to be as cool as you some day. maybe i can find a new message board and try to put people i don't know down so i can look as cool as you do. hopefully when i'm 29 i will be as wise as you. hopefully.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-25-2004, 3:53 PM Reply   
Derrick, thanks for your input. That post helped me out a lot more than the last one. We're always looking for feedback, both good and bad, so I appreciate your candor and see your point.

However, this contest won't prevent anybody from working on their style if that's what they want to do. Not to mention the fact that we'll never see a stylish 1080 if nobody is motivated to "huck" one in the first place.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-25-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
Well put Dave. I think Contest like this is what will keep the sport progressing. These contests along with all the amateur tournaments isn't really about competing against the next guy, but rather competing against yourself, and pushing yourself to the next level. At least thats why I involve myself in these grass-roots tournaments / contests, but once again this is my opinion and I have been known to be wrong once or twice...
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-26-2004, 12:05 AM Reply   
Derrick, its called a indy shifty rewind 3. Its a killer trick, anyone who can land that must be some sort of wakeboard god

I think the 1080 contest is a great idea. My top guesses are Sanders, Steve Edwards, Robin Friday and Shane bonifay.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-26-2004, 6:16 AM Reply   
Great idea Dave. My top three guesses are Tino, Parks, or Josh Storrer.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-26-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
Dave:

How much would it be worth if Buffalow throws one? A grand won't cover his medical bills! I will videotape . . . . . . . .
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-26-2004, 7:24 AM Reply   
I think Danny Harf if he really wanted to could do the 1080 with no problem..he may not believe in the trick so much like people are saying it may feel hucked but ive seen him nail so many grabbed 900s off the DUP in comps with ease..he has had time to pass the handle one more time at the end ..did you see then one at the 03 Xgames??it was huge clean grabbed and looked easy

However it was Toeside and Parks and Marks may have been HS..so does it matter which edge they do it from??

i would think TS is the easier spins IMO and you see more 900 thrown that way..

any i say Harf,parks,or watson will hit it on film first with Harf being MY frontrunner..
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-26-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
I've been told Harf has tried a few 1080's but keeps popping the handle.

Parks' 1080 was switch toeside.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-26-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
Parks said that his biggest problem is that he runs out of handle. Each time you grab the handle your hands move further down it. By the time you get to the fourth grab, you're holding onto the handle with your pinky. I told him to get a 25" handle and get it done! :-)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-26-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
Dave, why don't you expand the contest to those of us that have no chance of ever landing a 720 nevermind a 1080. Something along the lines of guessing who will be the first and what month it will be. If more than one person gets it right then it's a random drawing to pick the winner, or better yet everyone wins something. Prize would be 1080 and WW gear.
Old    xtremebordgurl            02-26-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
My predictions are with PB, Robin Friday and Danny Harf. PB is obvious, he's already stuck one and has the skillz to od it again. Robin cause he's been working on it for a while now and wants it, he's got his 9's dialed and is comming really close to sticking it, plus I heard rumor that he too stuck a 1080 out at TSR... Danny cause he spins like a top, basically all the reasons that have already been listed. I woundn't be surprised if Danny tried one at the x-games in the next yr or so. The next yr is going to be really interesting... . Oh yea, and dave I think the contest is an AWESOME idea! Keep up the good work. I think that would be cool if the person who guesses the correct rider won a lil something, like a t-shirt, DVD, or sumthin along those lines. I can't wait to see the wreck vids tho.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-26-2004, 5:33 PM Reply   
I have my money on this kid. (Jimmy Wolf) Also check out his part in the new Premier video magazine issue #1. He has switch and regular blind 540 and back to back hs and ts 900
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php?photo=335&password=&sort=7&thecat=50 0
Old    mayday48            02-26-2004, 9:02 PM Reply   
dave i think its an awesome idea and will help the sport progress and give dudes like myself the vibe to go out, have fun and go as big as possible. and whats up with a hucked 1080 having no style? Maybe its just me but i think riders goin for the big hits is style in itself. progression starts from the wake up and the only way this sport will progress is with guys sackin up and goin for it. good luck to those who are close. Im still tryin to get a solid 3 w/a handle pass!!!
Old    ryan_mocerino            03-02-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
Contest - Sweet

Bet on - Danny, because i take lessons from his sister, Lauren Harf, (check her website out at www.wakecoach.com) Danny has landed a couple. Also, if you were at the 03 worlds, he went for one of the double up in the finals, but dropped the handle at the end. He was doing it toeside and after his 4 handle passes he tried to land wrapped but the handle popped out. Plus, him and pointless are filmimg like half of the time thier riding just in case they land something new they can put in a future video.

Other bets - 1 Jimmy Wolf
2 Tino Santori

Robin Friday - He's a cable rider isn't he? Because in the rules it says it has to be done of a wake produced by a boat shorter than 25 feet or off the double up. I have only seen robin ride on the cable, idk if hes a good boat rider.

Dave, mad props. You deserve it twice.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-02-2004, 5:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Bill, good idea on getting everyone involved that won't be attempting the 1080. Toward the end of the week I'll add the capability for people to vote for the rider and the date (tiebreaker) that the 1080 will happen. If someone picks the same rider, the person with the closest date will win. If there is still a tie, it will be a random drawing from those that are tied. Ten-80 will be kicking in a ton of gear for the winner!

Also, look for the contest to be "juiced" up a bit in the near future. Ten-80 has come up with some great ideas for possibly doubling the payout, but we need to iron out some details first.

I'd like to thank Ten-80 for really stepping up with this contest! They've gone above and beyond!!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-23-2004, 1:20 AM Reply   
Cool, Dave took my advice and now a part of the contest is to guess which rider will win the contest and the date. And you can now submit your crash footage from your 1080 attempts! This definitely makes it a little more interesting

http://www.wakeworld.com/contests/2004/1080.asp
Old    sbvfive            03-24-2004, 6:28 PM Reply   
Contest is a great idea.....and as far as a guess.

Jimmy Wolf, b/c of the clip I saw of him on WW. If you haven't seen it, cheeck it out.

Harf, because he is the only rider who can accelerate his spin at the last second. If you've seen Incomplete, he throws his 9's like a big 5. Then at the last second, he just cranks out another 3 and passes the handle fast as hell.....watch for the 1080. I'd bet that it looks like a big 7 at first.....