Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-18-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
I'm thinking of getting one of those this spring to extend the season a little longer here in MN. Anyone have one of these? What do I need to know before I make a wrong choice? Any comments are welcome. Thanks.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-18-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Drsuit for sure. You wear your clothes underneath and stay mighty toasty, and dry. Some people don't like drysuits cause they are a little bulky. I prefer them cause they keep you dry, and warmer in my opinion.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-18-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Whats a average price for a decent drysuit?
Old     (salsajs3030)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-18-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
You can find a baggy O'neil boost for around 200 bucks slightly used -that's the way I would go -check the classifides here, people always have them for sale.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-18-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Drysuit-- If you gota insulate, you might as well be dry and comfortable...
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-19-2009, 6:03 AM Reply   
I have both a steamer wetsuit and a drysuit.....the drysuit is def. nicer when the water is really cold.....like was said you can layer clothes. Then you get back in the boat all dry on a cold day ...thats nice!
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-19-2009, 7:24 AM Reply   
You have to remember not to pee in a dry suit;)
Old     (mattjj23)      Join Date: May 2008       01-19-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
Go with a drysuit for sure. Much warmer and easier to get on/off
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-19-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
Check with grizzlysports.com. Thats where I purchased mine...I think I paid low $200's. It was the best price I could find.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-19-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
Check how these guys extend the season in Duluth, MN....

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/01/15/travel/escapes/0116-superior_index.html?partner=permalink&exprod=perma link

That's some serious cold!
Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-19-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
Yikes!

That takes dedication
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-20-2009, 8:00 AM Reply   
Go Drysuit. You will wear it a lot more than you ever thought you would.
The Oneil boost is good.

A Short Spring Wetsuit is also a nice thing to have. I use my drysuit early season or early mornings, then use the spring suit the rest of the time (our water never gets over 60 degrees). You can usually get spring suits for cheap. If you have a drysuit, don't worry about getting a really nice spring suit.
Sometimes Costco even sells them.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-20-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
I've got a great Oneil wetsuit. It's a 5/4 that I use for winter surfing in the ocean. Sure it's a little more difficult to get in and out of, when compared to a baggy suit, but you can be in freezing weather for 3 or 4 hours before you notice it's anything less than a summer day.

Wetsuit or drysuit, you'll be good so long as you get a quality suit.

With my wetsuit, I can use it in any condition. The only thing that stops me wakesurfing is having the weather below freezing, keeping the boat locked away.

(Message edited by taft on January 20, 2009)
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       01-27-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
Hi Chad,
The main reason I chose Drysuit was that when I get back in a boat in the winter and have to endure three more sessions with other riders. I am dry and in my sweats lovin the day.
The poor wetsuit guys are shivering, wet and miserable.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-28-2009, 6:05 AM Reply   
What Brent said...Spend the extra now and youll appreciate it...wait you really need to ride on a cold day with a wetsuit to appreciate a drysuit.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-28-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
New wetsuits are good, I was really impressed with mine when I bought it last year, Billabong Foil 4/3. I can surf for 4 hours in the middle of winter quite happily (50 - 60 degree water it never gets really cold here) but a drysuit will keep you warmer for sure. On a hard fall you might ship a little water down the neck, and the wrist seals usually leak a little bit.

One trick that works with wetsuits (and probably dry suits as well, never had one though) is before putting it on stick a plastic bag over your foot, that way you can just point you toes and pull the suit up and it will slide on easily. Simple as but it saves you hopping around on one foot in your smalls looking like a turkey. Also keeps the sand out of the suit if you're at the beach.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-28-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
I have a Wiley's StayDry baggy drysuit (same Oregon mfg. as OS, Bare, Adrenaline & a few others). We have them made with barefoot wrist cuffs (no leaking on crashes), rubber boots (no ankle seals to hassle with) and a non-skid butt (for sitting on a SkySki seat). I've stayed warm & dry with water & air temps well into the 30s..... well dry anyway. Your head & face is still pretty cold. A swim cap under my Protec helmet helps a lot.

Next you'll want to find some good gloves. I've tried the dry gloves & hated them. 4/5 mm diving gloves work great for us. They make the handle pretty big so you get a lot of forearm pump, but it's not that big a deal.