Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2009, 4:05 PM Reply   
It's almost time to winterize the ol boat. That being said, I would like to keep it usable for the next 4 weeks or so. I live in WA state so it should not get too cold for a bit. That being said, what is good general guideline for too cold? I assume that nights in the high/low 30's followed by days in the 60's isn't going to be an issue.

Thanks

Bakes
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-05-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
It needs to stay below freezing for at least 24 hours before you need to start worrying.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-05-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
Just keep an eye on the temps from here on out. If you see lows in the 20's coming it may be time. These days are rare here, so a better option might be to drain all the water if it looks like it will be cold. This should take 15 minutes, including the compressor or shop vac to get the water out of your heater core. I usually wait until mid to late November before I do a full winterization
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       10-05-2009, 5:57 PM Reply   
I have a direct drive with petcocks installed where the plugs were. Can I just drain it on the lift or do I need to remove some hoses also to make it safe. I want to keep it in thru october if the weather holds out that long.

Thanks,Nick
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
I had my old 205 setup with petcocks on each side of the engine & hoses joining the exhaust manifolds. Plus radiator flush Ts on the heater hoses. I'd open everything up, then dry start the engine for a second & call it good. We rode in the Seattle area year round for 7 yrs with no problems. Probably "winterized" that boat 10 - 15 times a year, every year. Took me like 2 minutes.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
Thanks. Just put it back in the slip for the week. Looks like pretty good weather. Tonight I was out there in blue jeans and a life jacket. My wife met me at the lake and forgot my shorts. Anyways since we were the only boat on a lake of glass couldn't pass up the opportunity. American lake is suprisingly warm. Hopin to keep out there through the end of November.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-06-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
Just one caveat, sediment can prevent the block from draining properly. I always run a stiff piece of wire or something up in each drain hole to make sure everything flows out. I almost always get some extra water out by doing that. Last year I had a first, one of my drains was completely clogged.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-07-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Nick:

You will be fine in lower MI thru October, even without draining. Having your boat hanging over a relatively warm body of water would keep the block from freezing for quite a while. If it looks like you will get a real hard freeze, maybe just lower the boat into the water.