Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (luv2board48)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
Hey guys. Needed a little help with my tantrum. I can never seem to get the full rotation and I'm an never really able to arch my back. I don't think I'm getting enough air. I ride a 05 murray with 04 temet bindings that everyone tells me is a really heavy set up. I weigh 145 pounds. Is this a problem. Is it me or the board.Thanks.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-15-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
Weight isn't that big of an issue. If you aren't getting the full rotation, you are doing one of two things.

1. Taking off too early. The trick to the tantrum is to WAIT WAIT WAIT for the wake. Take a nice cut, and then level off (kinda surf the wake) about 3 feet from the bottom, then just push your chest upward. The trick will throw itself.

2. Not tucking enough. If you lay out a tanny, it looks sick, but if you are trying to learn it and just do em all layed out, you may be slowing the rotation down too much. To speed up the rotation, such your lead arm in at a 90 deg angle like an "L" to your body, and tuck your knees. This takes some getting used to. It will also keep the trick from looking super "tweaked". Unless you want it that way.

Good luck!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-15-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
Do What Garret says....it's good advice. I did mine tucked for months before I did the layout.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-15-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
Joe, make sure your waiting until the top of the wake to intiate the rotation. If you do, you will maximize your lift off the wake and it should just "kick" your board over. Also, make sure to keep the handle in once you're in the air. If you let the handle out, you will slow your rotation down.

Good luck
Old     (ryansgt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
I don't get the leveling off part of the instructions I hear. Everyone that says they need more pop, the standard response is load the line and edge hard through the wake. Doesn't leveling off mean coming off edge or am I missing something here.

(Message edited by ryansgt on September 15, 2006)
Old     (luv2board48)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-15-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
Thanks guys i will try your advice
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-15-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
ryan,
other inverts require you to load up the line to initiate pop ie load and release inverts. The tantrum is a trip flip were you are going to edge hard at the begining of your edge and the flatten out when going up the wake to trip yourself. It really helps to let go with your back hand and square your shoulders with the wake when you are going up the wake.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-15-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
Ryan,
Its like riding a skateboard into a curb. The board stops and you keep going, this gives you the kick to start your rotation. The longer you wait the more air you will get.
Old     (ryansgt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-15-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
thanks wes and byrd, that really gave a good image of what you have to go for with a tantrum.
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-15-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
byrd
nice analogy i never thought of it like that
Old     (luv2board48)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-16-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
so all in all is the 2005 Murray 138 a good board
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-17-2006, 6:42 AM Reply   
I may want to add a little something to this... if you want to keep your rotation on the right axis, when you initiate the rotation keep both elbow next to your ribs opening your arms and trying to touch your scapulas(shoulder blades) together... then.... when you feel that the board is coming off the water... tuck you knees in to accelerate the rotation... keep your eyes open and look for the water...when you see the water stand tall and absorb the landing with your knees... the tantrum is all about timing... be patient... wait until you get to the top of the wake...