Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-30-2005, 4:47 PM Reply   
Im cheap and dont want to spend the money to winterize. It can't be that hard to do. Can someone give me a step by step process of how i would do this or should i just bite the bullet and take it down to the local dealership and spend the 200 bucks?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-30-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
Dan,

Move someplace warmer, like So Cal, and you won't have to worry abouty it!
Old     (melissad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-30-2005, 10:48 PM Reply   
Buzz,

Speaking of winterizing down here (since this is our first winter down here with a boat). Since we don't plan on using ours until the summer , do you think it's necessary to do some kind of informal winterizing?

You never know, it could drop down to almost freezing one night :-)

thread hijack...thanks again for the pull. We had a blast, it was great meeting a lot of your crew :-)

-Melissa
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-31-2005, 6:25 AM Reply   
$200 was worth my piece of mind of knowing there wasn't a chance the engine block will be cracked when I come back to it in April. I didn't have the right ear muff for the flush pro, and couldn't find one of the screws to undo to drain my engine, and didn't have a clue how to make sure the knock sensor had fallen into place properly.

I called up my dealer (Chessie Marine) and asked them for some tips. He told me how they had had 30 boats in this year with cracked engine blocks from the owner trying to winterize themself. And they still hadn't got to fixing all of them.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-31-2005, 6:57 AM Reply   
Daniel, there is a good article for winterizing on this site from 11-11-04. click on articles and scroll back to that date. I live in Oregon and have been doing my own boat since 95. I have never had a problem, that said, I know many others who have. If you are going to do it yourself I would recommend that you get someone who has expieranse to help you. I build a double hose fitting that pumps and curclates antifreze through my block. Then drain all water/antifreze out. Don't forget about the heater & shower.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-31-2005, 9:00 AM Reply   
Make sure to use STAB
this will help you a lot
Old    wakeceo            10-31-2005, 1:07 PM Reply   
Here is a link to some useful tips:

Winterize Tips
Old     (robie)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-31-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
For people in South Texas. I plan on riding through the winter. What all do you guys do to your boat over the winter if you are still riding. Fog it and pull the plugs or what?
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
If you are in S TX and plan to ride through winter there is no need to winterize.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-31-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
Take it out one last time and as soon as you get it out of the water just pull your plugs. The heat will evaporate the block and leave no condensation. We have been doing it this way for a few years now and have never had a problem. this is how I was told by a friend of mine and he's my sales person at my local shop. All that they do to winterize a boat is run aircraft de-icer fluid through you engine. You don't have to do it this way. save your money, this way's FREE!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-31-2005, 4:12 PM Reply   
If you have a V-drive don't forget to drain the transmission. If you have a heater, don't forget to drain it too. Lines to the hater could be long, if you’re just draining and not flushing w/ anti-freeze you might be in for some trouble in the spring.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-31-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
Heck thanks for all the help..I just took it down to my local dealer today...the guy told me they drain the whatever, grease the things. change the oil and filter...and fog the who knows what ... it is and fix the flux capacitor hell I dont know. It all sounded good so I bit the bullet and said fine do it. Better safe then sorry.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-01-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
Ya I hate it when the flux capacitor is sticking.
But just a note, somebody said that you should drain your transmission on a v drive.
I have a V-drive, and they recommend that you fill it to the top to prevent condensation.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2005, 8:03 AM Reply   
If you have a V Drive, most likely you will have to not only drain the engine and mainifolds but the lines to the transmission as well as the V drive...

David, I think Ed was talking about draing the Trans cooling lines as opposed to draining the transmission fluid.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-01-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
The trany on my V-drive does not have any water lines.
I have water lines on my v-drive gearbox. (This a completely different part.)
How about using antifreeze instead of draining?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-01-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
David, that is a great looking boat you got there
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
I have to drain the tranny as well as the V-drive unit... You might be different as doesn't Tige use Mercruiser engines? I have an Indmar with ZF Hurth (I think that is it) tranny and a walters V-drive.

You could certinally flush the H2O out with antifreze. Most mechanics or dealerships that I have come accross do just that.

I don't really need to winterize as my baby lives in a heated garage but I drain it for piece of mind in case we get an ice storm and lose power for a few days.
Old     (whitlock87)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-01-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
Jon
Some do come with merc engines in them, I have the Marine Power 5.7 with a Walt v-drive as well. (My V-drive is blue; I was told this tells the mechanic what gear ration I have?) How often do you check the alignment on the V-drive?
Thanks David

Daniel
Thanks for the complement, I sometimes forget about user profiles.
David

(Message edited by whitlock87 on November 01, 2005)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-01-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
Right, draining the coolant lines. Changing the fluid should be easy.