Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-12-2005, 5:02 PM Reply   
Does anyone Know the California Law for tying down the transom to the trailer when towing a boat? My last 2 boats haven't even had eyes on the trailer to tie to. My buddy says it's against the law to tow without the transom being tied down. I'm heading out on a road trip this weekend and would like to know if I have to weld on some eyes and get some straps.
Old    powaman            07-12-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
I would weld some on whether its required or not. I wouldn't want my safety chain being the only thing holding that boat on if the winch strap decides to brake.

(Message edited by powaman on July 12, 2005)
Old    ag4ever            07-12-2005, 6:38 PM Reply   
I believe that all states require your transom to be tied down. Now that could be as simple as a strap over the rear of thr boat, and tied to the trailer to as elaborate as the retracting straps that are bolted to the trailer.

I personally strap mine down by hooking the bracket to the swim platform, and the other end to a hole in the trailer.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-12-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
I always tied my Nauty down from the swim platform brackets. If the platform was off the straps went over the small bracket left on the boat.

If you trailer does not have tie down spots, they actually make a strap that I believe bolts to the trailer and then retracts, as Robert said above. Overtons You could also just wrap a strap under the trailer and hook onto the underside, if it is a channel type trailer.

A short story of why tie downs are important: I was always good about tying down my boat, but after going to one marina on the Delta, that we could not launch at, we were driving down the road a couple of miles and coming over a bridge, with a launch ramp built into it, my boat flew about 8 inches off the trailer and landed back on it. We immediatly pulled over and strapped the boat back down. Never again was it towed on the road without the rear tie downs on it.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-13-2005, 8:30 AM Reply   
If you don't normally tow, a cheap and quick solution is to just get some of those wratchet straps from Home Depot or Lowes and loop them around your trailer frame and the swim step brackets (if the boat in your profile is the one you'll be pulling. Just don't winch them down too tight. Just snug is fine.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-13-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
Once upon a time I used to tow without tie downs.

99.99% of the time you don't need them.

It is that one time in a thousand that ruin your entire life.

My close call came while I was towing down a freeway. Two lanes in each direction, I was in the slow lane. A car trying to pass changed into my lane without nearly enough room. I took evasive action by steering to the right, which dropped a trailer wheel off the shoulder.

When the dust settled (literally) the stern of the boat was sitting a foot off to the right, the hull was resting on the fender and crushing it down into the tire. If it had gone any further I have no doubts that there would have been a major wreck.

Ever since then I have always cross tied the stern down. Like Peter, I use the swim platform brackets.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-13-2005, 11:20 AM Reply   
OK,
I think I get the point. My project for today is to get tie downs. Thanks for the advice.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-13-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
It is CA law. They make u-bolts that you could thru bolt into the back of the trailer frame. It is also CA law that your chains or cables to your truck have a securing mechanism. ie. just hooks does not meet the requirement.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
bungee cords.
Old    the_skeptic            07-21-2005, 4:16 AM Reply   
Just picked up my XLV GG today, it has eye-hooks on it, but didn't come with straps??? Shouldn't they be required to??? (They = dealership)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-21-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
David:

They probably are not required to, but I don't think too highly of a boat dealer that would send you out the door without all the essentials.

Legally, they can sell you a bare boat with nothing. Every deal I have ever made the dealer has always thrown in life jackets, throw cushion, paddle (if required), dock lines, fenders, tie downs, and pads to go over the trailer guides.

A lot of dealers will give you a month of significant discount (like 20 to 30% off) at their store so you can load up on other things you need, like ski jackets, wakeboards, ropes, anchors, etc.