Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-16-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
Fairly new to wakeboarding and am having some problems.

1) I feel like i ride my board like I am waterskiing. Weight back, straight up, etc.

2) It seems that i am getting my weight back on the board, should it be disbursed more evenly in wakeboarding?

Any tips to help accelerate the learning curve would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Garland
Old    shikafly            06-16-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
Dave - doesn't sound to me like you are doing all that much wrong. I am not the greatest rider in the world, but with the exception of when you are in the air, your weight should be shifted backward a bit. Some boards like the Helix almost demand that you ride back foot heavy.

As far as standing up straight is concerned, the only time you should have much bend to your legs is when edging toward the wake and getting ready to pop. Keep your back straight, and pull that handle in toward your hip.

I encourage you to go to wakepics. com (if it ever comes back up) and watch the form of other riders.
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-16-2003, 10:25 PM Reply   
This usually works for me. Buy all the videos, dvds,books,magazines on (in this case) wakeboarding. Watch and read them over and over untill your next time out on the water. Try to do what the people in the vids/mags do...have fun!!!
Old    love2wakbrd2000            06-16-2003, 10:37 PM Reply   
WES THE GIMP is not kidding - it totally works to immerse yourself in all of the videos and stuff. I'm a 35 year old woman, with no real athletic ability to speak of (I was always picked last at dodgeball in grammar school). But then I discovered this glorious sport a few years ago... and even though I may not be getting inverted - getting air and doing little 180's is a ton of fun! Watching the videos (even the instructional ones) helps you visualize what you should be doing out there. One other thing I'd suggest - get the "indo board" to balance on when watching tv. It helped me with balance. Everyone tends to want to "ski" through wakeboarding at first. That little balancing board really helped me my first year.... it helps you figure out how to balance not just on your heelside. Most of all - HAVE FUN!
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-16-2003, 10:46 PM Reply   
Tami is so right. I made the kids a indo board last week. My oldest said it made all the difference on the wakeskate! I thought it was just fun.
Old    tpalmeri            06-17-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
Wes, I was going to make myself an indo board as well. I was thinking of using an old skate deck I had laying around, but was not sure as to what to use as the cylinder underneathe. did you use a skate deck? Any suggestions are welcome. thanks
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-18-2003, 7:48 PM Reply   
Tony, I picked up a piece of scrap 6" pvc at a piping supplier. About 15" long. At first we were using a piece of plywood, then the kids brought out the old decks! More challenging for sure. The Indo boards have stops under the board to prevent rolling all the way off the end. Im way too lazy to install these. Have fun.
Old    tpalmeri            06-19-2003, 6:44 AM Reply   
Wes, Thanks a bunch! one more question then I will quit bugging you. Have you found that while using the pvc, the deck slides over the top of the pvc instead of the pvc rolling with the deck a bit? Thanks
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-19-2003, 9:25 PM Reply   
Tony, the PVC rolls fine with the board. Sometimes the board will walk sideways toward the toe or heel side. The kids are doing shuvits. Try to close your eyes, thats hard!