Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    tommyracer73            06-18-2003, 6:41 AM Reply   
Hi,

I have tried trawling through the messages, but have decided to just ask away anyway :-)

I am on my 2nd season wakeboarding and only wakeboard at a cable park (no access to boats & stuff for me). I guess I went about 3 times last season and have been lots this year already (about 70 laps?). I cant ask for much advice about boards & stuff there as I dont speak German too well. Likewise I cant ask for advice on tricks & stuff so am trying to work it out myself. Unlike the boat people, I dont have a wake to play on, just smooth or choppy water.

I need to buy a board, but am lost in all the choices and pissed off with all the prices. I am looking at maybe getting a LF Search 135 for about 200Euro. I dont want to go much above that price and I dont want a complete POS board either... Is that a good board/price range for me to be looking at? Would it be a good board for me?

What I want from the board is to be able to learn more tricks. I am 75Kg and 5'6" tall so I think the length is right. I am interested in getting big air one day off the cable and doing tricks like all the good guys do :-) Currently I can pop small jumps off the smooth water (no wake!) but I cant seem to get any height, not enough to feel confident to do a 180 even as I am scared I will just land half way through and faceplant... I can ride fakie just (with big fins) and I have *just* started managing suface 180's. I can now do water starts, sitting dock starts and jump dock starts, A pretty feeble repertoire I know, but you dont get much water time at a busy cable park... plus I have no-one telling me what to do, I dont even know if my stance is good or not :-( I just read that wakeboarding singapore site and go some ideas about keeping the handle low down and stuff so I will go try that, but I feel like I am stabbing in the dark. So would that board be good for me?

I notice a lot of boards with moulded channels down the sides at the tips of the board. Are these good or bad? Should I stick to a board with just a middle fin or look at these 3 fin jobbies? *clueless* Would they make butter slides too hard? I guess they make edging easier, will they make me go faster when edging and get me closer to getting air?

I cant "try before I buy". The only boards they have at the park to hire are some 138 generic looking things (similar to the LF Search from what I can see). I have been looking on ebay as I cant find anywhere better to look...

Also what about Fanatic boards? They seem to be in my price range.. what about a Fanatic Blade 137? Or a Jobe Fractura 137?

And then theres bindings.. *sigh*

Any help would be grand, thanks :-)

Tom...
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-18-2003, 6:47 AM Reply   
Well my suggestion would be to get an older model LF Trip. The mold hasn't changed in years.
And where in Britian are you from?
Old    tommyracer73            06-18-2003, 6:53 AM Reply   
Did I mention I was from the UK? Must be something in the way I talk.. I am from near London, but live in Munich at the mo.

About the trip.. I see lots of people saying bad stuff about it... Is it one of the ones with moulded edge fins too? I can certainly look out for one. Would a 135 be about right for me?

Tom...

(Message edited by tommyracer73 on June 18, 2003)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-18-2003, 7:05 AM Reply   
Its the way you talk (I'm from Gloucestershire)
The trip is the 3 finned Jobbie. Its a good board. It comes in a 133.5 and a 138. You could use either size but the 133.5 would be better for you. Have a look at the "board guide" on this site. If you find an older Trip, you'll be able to get it cheap, but its the same as the new ones.
Old    tommyracer73            06-18-2003, 7:48 AM Reply   
Aha.. my accent coming through in type :-)

It does seem to be a pretty well rated board. I am a bit unsure about the 3 fin thing tho.. Will that be a different ride? Or will I just like it? Will it help me?. Will I be able to do butter slides and surface 180's etc with those fins there?

Also, as I dont have a wake to help me jump, would I be better off getting the bigger of the two boards so that I can get more pop for jumps?

Now I would just have to find out where to find an old model at a reasonable price...

Tom...

(Message edited by tommyracer73 on June 18, 2003)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-18-2003, 7:51 AM Reply   
Yeah, its a good board to learn on. It won't hold you back. Also what's greats about 3 finned boards is that if you want a looser ride, just take out the center fin.
Old    tommyracer73            06-18-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
Maybe I should try to find a way of getting a ride on one first... At least I am beginning to develop an idea of what I want now!

Cheers for your help.

Tom...
Old    tommyracer73            06-18-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
Hey I just went to the cable tow park after work, armed with a few tips I found.. I tried holding the handle lower, to my hips and doing more of a sitting position as I edge across.. It felt much better and I was getting higher jumps I am sure. Not ready to try and flick out for a Raley yet though. Any tips on how to get going with them? My surface 180's are getting easier, almost talking into jump 180's..

But I noticed more about the hire board this time (An old Blindside Epic 140). I think its defo too big & lazy for me. I fint it tough to edge on the board, especially on toeside or when riding fakie.. How do I learn to edge better?

I can see now that the 3 fin ones might help me get more bite on t´he edge.

Not really sure what I am asking in this post, just offloading brain thoughts lol.. I guess I am asking... 1. What should I do to progress to Raleys. 2. How do I edge better riting toe edge and fakie. 3. Is that board too big or a POS that is making it hard for me to progress?

Tom...