Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old    brian1000            03-31-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Having some trouble making a decision on which boat to buy. The decision is down to two - a new 2005 (sitting on their lot for a while) X-Star vs. a new 2006 Malibu VLX. Both are close in price - the X-Star will be around 3000 more for an identical set of options. I'm taking both out for a test drive this weekend. I'm trading in an old 1996 Tige, so I expect both will be MUCH better boats.

Which would you buy? Which will have the better resale?

Pros/Cons??

Thanks.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
I would go with the VLX.

Go ride behind both boats with only the stock ballast and you will see why.

In my opionion, the interior of the Malibu is way more luxurious also.

you should also consider the reputation of both dealers. I bought my boat based on the dealer.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-31-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
They are both great boats---myself, I own a 05 VLX.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-31-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
with only stock ballast, it's hard to beat the vlx and there's pretty much no limit to how much extra weight you can add for a ridiculously massive, clean wake. but, if you are planning on sacking out your boat whenever you ride anyway, it's a much harder choice. the x-star wake is so nice. i've heard it takes a LONG time to get used to though. personally, i'd only consider the x-star if 95% of your time on the water is spent wakeboarding. i considered it for a while, but i live on a big lake, and going 33 mph from spot to spot wasn't going to cut it. what engine is in the x-star?
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-31-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Both great boats ! Test drive a decide for yourself which boat feels and drives better. Dealer should also be a big factor in your choice.
I went VLX mostly on dealer itself.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-31-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Definitely two great boats with two killer wakes, but I'm going to have to reiterate what's been said above. Dealer relationship is huge, so make sure you're comfortable working with them.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-31-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
I would say VLX. It's newer than the x star and seems to be a better boat overall. I really don't even know where the x star beats the vlx. From my experience, I would pick the bu.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-31-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
Boat to boat. X-Star. Matched what's said above. Dealer is more important. If the Bu dealer has better service and reputation, go with the VLX.
Old     (nizzle77)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-31-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
I own a VLX but I suggest riding behind both. They are both great boats. Dealer made my choice.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-31-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
I rode a 05 VLX with stock ballast and wedge. All I can say is awesome wake. The stock wake is pro caliber in my oppinion. You can do any trick on that wake. I wish my shoulder was better so i could go for some raley and off axis stuff. Very nice boat. I have ridden a 2001 x-star, but I think you want to know about the new ones with the pickle fork.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-31-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
VLX All the way, my 06 is sick!
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-31-2006, 4:14 PM Reply   
I would say to ride behind both. My buddy (Chino) has a X-star and it is sick. However, I bought a VLX. I love both boats and the both throw a great wake. For me the VLX was just a better fit. For a few reasons: First of the VLX I personally think handles better, the X star feels big to me, also I liked the stock ballast wake of the VLX vs the stock ballast wake of the X-star. For my riding style you have to load up the X-star i felt. Furthermore, the X-star weighs a little more on the trailer which was a big issue since I'm towing with a V-8 not a Diesel. All and all I love both boats and the price that i got on my VLX just sealed the deal.
Old     (badbob13ftw)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-31-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
i went w/ the VLX ;)
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       03-31-2006, 4:45 PM Reply   
Love the VLX, Love the X-star. All came down to dealers and add-ons.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-01-2006, 5:02 AM Reply   
Every 2 years I get a new boat, I went with VLX. Things I love about VLX, drive by wire, much better than PP, I like the tower, and styling better.

MC pros, board racks are still better, I like the instrumentation a little better, and snap out carpet. (style preference)

Me being in Dallas I am right down the street from the BU dealer, the area MC dealer might as well be in New Mexico. Can't go wrong either way in my mind