Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    stormrider            03-21-2005, 8:39 AM Reply   
What should be done? Closed cooling, snap out carpets, galvanized trailer seem to fit.
Does any one mfg/boat type do this better?
Thanks.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-21-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
Check with west coast correct craft, ask them how they outfit the boats for the San Diego aquatic center. I think they have it figured out.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-21-2005, 6:40 PM Reply   
add zincs, a flush kit and regularly spray down your engine with boeshield. Use grease or vasoline on bolts that need to be taken off ie. bolts that you remove to fold down your tower. Use liberal amounts of vasoline on snaps for your covers and carpet.
Make sure to use anti-sieze on your trailer lugs as well.
Old    jmo52            03-21-2005, 8:49 PM Reply   
Bottom paint. Silicone also works great on trailer lugs or any other bolts that would be submerged.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-21-2005, 8:50 PM Reply   
Steve,

I haven't given you the fever have I???
Old    stormrider            03-22-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
Tyler:

Too funny! Wakeboarding just fits with my kids (and me to a certain degree); the biggest "lake" in San Diego, and the one closest to where I live, unfortunately is connected to the Pacific Ocean.

And if I buy a boat from Ian or Niel I'm gonna tell them to give you a commission!

(Message edited by stormrider on March 22, 2005)
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-22-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
Thanks Steve! The question is can you find a way to use the boat/write it off as a business expense right?
Old    stormrider            04-08-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
Okay, bought a boat outfitted for salt. Bottom line: boat and trailer must be specially customized. Detailed, routine maintenance required.

Most knowledgeable guy I found on the subject: Glen at Mission Bay Acquatic Center in San Diego. 35+ years working with ski boats and trailers in salt water/air.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-08-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
So what was his advice? Please share so we can learn more.
Old    stormrider            04-08-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
Just back from MBAC and a meeting with Glen and to select the color of the 210 I just bought. Discussed what they do when boat comes in. 52 point checklist on four pages. Total time sheet, as well, at 33 hours.

Too much stuff to list. But stuff like take the exhaust manifolds apart, file insides down smooth then regasket so salt can't corrode through the barrier between the cold water cool and exhaust baffles. Common problem, which then sprays saltwater down on the valves. Then put back together with special gaskets and stainless bolts.

Disconnect all electrical stuff and liquid tape and corrision guard wherever.

Take the connectors out of the ballast tanks, cut them off and then put them in a water proof sleeve.

Replace all non-stainless items, bolts, nuts, etc. with stainless.

Anodize all aluminum in the engine compartment.

Engine flush assembly. Close cooling.

Dismantle the Perfect Pass and liberally spray corrosion guard on the circuit panel.

Stainless steering tube and something or other regarding keeping water out.

Grease fittings on rudder drip whatever.

Black anodize engine frame, back seat frame, v-drive frame.

Grease motor mounts and other parts where salt could affect.

Wax often. Never wash with soap and water. Zipwax and water-- to keep the pourous gelcoat protected.

Maintenance after use: rinse, flush motor, WD-40 the living snot out of the entire engine compartment so the motor sits in a WD-40 "fog".

Trailer: separate. Galvanized, stainless brake lines; specially paint hubs, leaf springs and u-bolts with I think it's a zinc paint.

Zinc engine mounts.

Anyway, I'm missing stuff but post is way long.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-09-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
Steven,

Very good list, not many people are aware of the issue between the risers and manifolds. They should be filed and have new gaskets put in at the end of every season. If taken care of properly you should be able to get 900 hrs use from them.
Old    stormrider            04-09-2005, 10:17 AM Reply   
Scott: yeah, I was amazed at 1. how much needs to be done to outfit a ski-boat for salt; and, 2. how much damage can be done VERY quickly to a ski boat that is not outfitted for salt and properly maintained.

Another great source for information is Joey Hooley at M2O Marine in San Diego. 619-282-0400
858-488-0100. Glenn works for SDSU and UC San Diego so he really can't advise people. I bought a boat from him, so I got the lowdown. Joey, on the other hand, is the head service guy at M2O (the local Correct Craft/Sanger dealer). The time/money you spend with Joey for the consult/work will undoubtedly save $1000s down the road.

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-09-2005, 10:45 AM Reply   
Thanks Steven I learned a few things there :-)
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-12-2005, 12:08 PM Reply   
Steven,

I am on year #2 with my DD exclusively in salt. 140 hrs and my only complaint is the carpet, it is tough to keep it from getting all crusty.

Good luck!