Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-08-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
Does anyone have downpipes on their boat? I have seen them on Malibu's. I have a pair of Stainless Steel 4" pipes that I want to mount on our Sanger V210. We spend a lot of time surfing and we thought this might help keep the exhaust away from the surfer. I know about the FAE system but these pipes were cheap.
How far are the pipes suppose to extend into the water? Would you angle the pipes toward the center of the transom, to help keep the exhaust away from the surfer?
Thanks!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-08-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
Normally they extend just to the water line when the boat is running. Take a straight edge along the hull and past the transom. That's how far down pipes would normally go down.
The exhaust will swirl some behind the transom so I don't think it would matter much if you angle them in.
If you're going to try putting them lower than the hull bottom take the time to squish the pipe exit a bit oval shape in line with the direction of water flow. That will cut down the drag significantly.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-09-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
Thanks Art! Do you have downpipes on your boat? If so do you have any pictures of them?
Sue
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-09-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
I looked at them but went with the FAE system. I'm happy I did because my 215 is very quiet now.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-09-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
Art,thanks for your help! We couldn't pass these downpipes up at under $20 for both. So I guess we will give them a try.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       05-09-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
I've got the 90 downs on my '06 VLX. They seem to quiet things down but I'm convinced that when at idle (not moving) they cause the exhaust to roll around the back of the boat and make it dirtier. It's all white back there, looks terrible!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-09-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
That's a good price Sue, so why not try them.
Here is a picture from Malibu's site on their tips. They have a different picture on their older brochure, I think.
Upload
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-09-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
Sue,

I purchased a set of the HPI turn downs for my Centurion Typhoon. I had them installed when I had the boat winterized last fall. I haven't had a chance to us them yet. The company that made them is out of business or has been purchased by another company. Their web site is down and telephone number has been disconnected. I may get to try them this weekend if I do I'll report back.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-09-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
Thanks Hangar Pilot.