Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-26-2006, 11:19 PM Reply   
patrick- great site, thanks for the lead.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-27-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
I doubt you will get a test drive clause. I would not buy any boat without a test drive. You maybe should consider driving to a different dealer to test.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       01-27-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
have both dealers arrange a test drive with one of their dealers in the South, say Orlando. Buy one of those last-minute weekend tickets and go drive 'em both. You will probably come away with a definite preference, and you won't have that nagging doubt. At the kind of investment level you're talking about, it would be worth it.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-27-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
You don't have to go to Fl. to test drive the MC. Drive to Wichita. They have one in stock. To bad the Bu dealer went out of business here, or you could do both.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
HEY EVERYBODY.....

FESTIVUS SAID I WAS RIGHT,SO THERE...

quote:

No one really cares who is right

If you don't care what you say,then maybe you shouldn't post your B.S. then?!!

I'm on these boards to learn,educate and most of all entertain myself but I care what I post and if someone is calling me out on my post,I like to respond to them!

Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-27-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
let it go...
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-27-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
I'm in the same boat -so to speak. Trying to decide between a 45 and a 247. I should be ready to purchase a new boat next year at this time. I currently own a MC and have a great dealer. When I purchased my current boat a few years ago I picked a Malibu but was so turned off by the salesman it sent me looking elsewhere which is how I found the local MC dealership. I love MC and have a great dealer but in researching both boats I find myself leaning towards the 247. No verdict yet I need to drive and ride behind both boats. I believe the salesman I originally dealt with at the Malibu dealership is gone, but how much credence should be given to brand\dealer loyalty. I would feel horrible if I didn't buy one off of my current dealer. But If I'm going to make that big of an investment I want the boat that suits my needs the best. What do you think?
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-27-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
I too agree with dealer/brand loyalty. The Malibu dealer in your case has to show that they have customers that are as happy as you are, to show that they can compete. If they can show you that, take a test drive. Back to back see which one fits your needs, Make sure to Bring ALL of your gear to both test drives, see which one will swallow it with the least amount of effort
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-27-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
also when thinking of brand/dealer loyalty ...is the bu that much better for you to not be loyal to the brand/dealer that you have been loyal to so far. ???
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
Zack,if you want me to let it go,you got to stop replying to me....Looking at your post count and being ten and I counted 8 or 9 in this thread alone....Are you sure you don't work for BU?Seems like you started this name just for this thread!Just an observation but doesn't mean it's true but then again you never know...

I got a lot of time on my hands and this is entertaining to me so why should I let it go....b/c you can't back up your bs....

Good point Norm
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
EVIDENCE ...your 1st post on this thread

By zach (xsmini) on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 3:02 pm:

quote:

Have 2 of you get in the 247, play leapfrog to find out how many seating positions you can get behind the windshield, I counted 12, then 2-3 in the bow. do the same in the x45. I counted 8 behind the windshield, which means you have to fit seven in the bow area to get the same amount of people. Which you know won't happen. Also I guarantee the 247 does fit more stuff below the seats and trunks, than the X45, That is even without bow storage on the 247. If you can demo both boats, do it back to back. The Malibu is so much faster, and agile thean the x45 it will be absolutely no contest.
On the carpet thing, get a carpet saver in the Malibu which is in essence an area rug with a rubber backing. It will take the abuse while the boat carpet will be spared.

Old    ilovetrains            01-27-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Festivus - still frozen in CO? MC dealers in Wichita and KC, Malibu also in KC. If the dealer out there is working a sale he will make the call and get you a test ride. Plan to go out for a nice steak dinner afterward. We were thinking of breaking out the boat and getting a dry suit yesterday, it is 64 today and the sun is shining. Man I want to ride.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-27-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
So I visited both dealers today. I don't see a test ride in the future of any lake in the Denver area, It is just too cold right now, and the weather is calling for more snow in the mountains tonight. So I am basically stuck. Maybe I should just keep the Epic.
And I am not going to call anyone out, but a little bit of maturity on this thread would be greatly appreciated. If you want to waste your time posting crap time after time, then perhaps I can suggest a few books that may raise your IQ, if you can even read, that is.

(Message edited by festivus on January 27, 2006)
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-27-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
Maxximus- Re-read your second sentence of your first post.
"Looking at the MCX45 and the BU247 and trying to figure out which would be better for me." I am prety sure that ONLY YOU are going to be able to determine that answer. After the third post, this thread got ugly, which they usually do. Two of the 3 things TJK fed you were a load of crap, and he was called on it. The third was PURE OPINION. If you want to take the advice and opinions of people you don't know and those who don't know you, then more power to you. I am assuming that before making a $70,000 purchase you would do your own homework, which it appears you are doing...

If you want to insult people, then please take it to the other site where the twelve-year olds play...

Big Ed- Keep calling people on their BS statements. Maybe sooner or later they will figure out that it won't fly around here anymore...
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-27-2006, 9:49 PM Reply   
hey Zacky- I'm not here to insult people, merely to get opinions on these two boats. I didn't intend for a bunch of adults(?) to argue over which boat floats better when filled with water. I simply wanted feedback on two boats from people who may know more about them than I do. Thanks to those of you who helped out. I appreciate the links to other threads and useful info. The rest of you can continue posting insults and trying to one-up each other. What a waste of time. I'm out.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-27-2006, 10:24 PM Reply   
By Festivus Maxximus (festivus) on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 9:14 pm:

quote:

Ed, you must be in mall security or something

By Festivus Maxximus (festivus) on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:38 pm:

quote:

If you want to waste your time posting crap time after time, then perhaps I can suggest a few books that may raise your IQ, if you can even read, that is.

By Festivus Maxximus (festivus) on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 9:49 pm:

quote:

I'm not here to insult people

By Festivus Maxximus (festivus) on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 9:49 pm:

quote:

The rest of you can continue posting insults and trying to one-up each other.

Hmmm... pot meet kettle?

Good luck with your new boat. I am sure you will be happy with either. They are both very beautiful...

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-28-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   

quote:

And I am not going to call anyone out, but a little bit of maturity on this thread would be greatly appreciated. If you want to waste your time posting crap time after time, then perhaps I can suggest a few books that may raise your IQ, if you can even read, that is.

Now looking at all you comment towards me that Oscar was nice enough to post....seems like to me you are calling ME out and the only thing I ask is post like a man not like a BIOTCH you showed to be.

And yes I completely agree with Oscar.....pot meet kettle......At least I admit it not talk under my breath like yourself.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-30-2006, 4:25 PM Reply   
Well don't go to any boat show looking for answers...My friends went and the malibu dealer bashed the other brands so bad that they are so turned off they are not even looking at malibu anymore. When someone starts out bashing it kinda makes you wonder why...
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-30-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
I don't know if it is just around here but the malibu owners try to help you find the best boat even if it is not there's. The mastercraft dealers bash everybody but themselves. And they don't want to talk to you unless you are going to buy a boat. You can't just look around to help decide.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-30-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
You called me out on the carpet and I was wrong. The OLDER BU only ran with the 8.0 The newer one has a base motor.

I stand corrected...the base motor is the 383 Hammerhead. Does anyone run that motor in that boat? I would not run an MCX in the 245 Just not enough to push that hull. Upgrade to a 6.0 litre or even price out the Salt Water Series with the 6.0 or 8.1. The Crusader Package in the Salt Water Series can be priced out less than the Freshwater Package with the Lq-9 vs. the Crusader 6.0.

As far as snap out carpet goes...BU cannot offer snap out carpet because of the floor substrate under the carpet. Different way to make a boat. They attach the seat bases via l brakets and screws verses a molded seat base and floor. If there is CLOSED SELL foam in a BU I would like to know where it is. Water Weenies stuffed under the gunnels do not count.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-30-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
tjk,

many 247's are being produced with the hammerhead. i am sure it's not totally gutless, it does after all have 400hp and 425lbs or tq. i wouldn't think the 8.1 should be mandatory, it's like the monsoon/mcx in x-1/vlx; not necessary, but nice to have.

and, do you mean closed CELL foam? lol.
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-30-2006, 11:23 PM Reply   
Malibu 247-
24'7" 102" beam
4000lbs dry weight
Hammerhead = 400hp

Mastercraft X-45
24'2" 102" beam
4,950lbs dry weight
MCX = 350hp
LQ9 = 385hp

For what it's worth...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-31-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
Today
Jan 31 Mostly Cloudy
53°/28° 20%
53°F

Wed
Feb 1 Partly Cloudy
55°/35° 20%
55°F

Thu
Feb 2 Partly Cloudy
52°/34° 20%
52°F

Fri
Feb 3 Partly Cloudy
50°/30° 20%
50°F

Sat
Feb 4 Partly Cloudy
55°/36° 20%
55°F

Sun
Feb 5 Mostly Cloudy
49°/27° 20%
49°F

Mon
Feb 6 Partly Cloudy
45°/30° 10%
45°F

Tue
Feb 7 Sunny
48°/30° 10%
48°F

Wed
Feb 8 Few Snow Showers
44°/29° 30%
44°F

Thu
Feb 9 Partly Cloudy
48°/29° 20%

Denver has had unseasonably warm weather all winter long. I was there three weeks ago and it was 60 degrees. I seriously doubt all (if any) of the lakes are frozen in the Denver area. Are you really buying a boat, or just starting a "which boat is better" thread?
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-31-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
Paul, your are making me break my oath of silence on this thread, but...
Go ahead and call both the Malibu dealer (Tommy's 303-455-3091) and the MC dealer (S&W 303-429-1895), not that I should have to validify myself, but call me on it. I have a deposit with BU for a production slot in Feb and the MC dealer has the X45 in stock. I am leaning heavily towards the BU at this point. I hope your visit three weeks ago was nice, but due to the fact that I live here, I think I am pretty well aware of the weather. You are right, it has been nice during the day, but it isn't uncommon for the temperatures to dip into the teens at night, so anything that is frozen doesn't really get a good chance to thaw. This week the forecast (according to weather.com) is for daytime highs in the 50's and nights in the 20's. Objective information.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-31-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
oh no! malibus don't have closed cell foam!? thanks for warning me TJK. i'd better sell mine ASAP, or it will surely sink like all the hundred other malibus that find their way to the bottom of the lake every year. this has truly been an eye-opening thread. now i know the horrible truth. i will be running--not walking--to the nearest mc dealer as soon as i post this message.

is that the response you're hoping for T? otherwise, what the hell is the point of coming onto a thread to do your best to discredit malibu? if i were boat shopping, i would much rather hear why you bought your mc and why mastercraft worked best for you. mastercraft makes a quality boat, but so does malibu, your preconceived notions aside. apparently hydrodampening isn't necessary on malibus because they continually rate no lower than second to nautique in terms of measured engine noise level--a couple decibels quieter than mc (so frankly, who cares? less than 1% of people will be able to tell any significant difference). malibus engine chassis system seems to hold its own just fine, and no shaking or rattling is a given on a bu. also, today's ski boats don't sink, closed cell foam or not
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-31-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
For some reason I thought we were NOW beyond these annoying boat debates. Anyone who can say one is better than the other has their head up their ass.

I've owned a Wakesetter and now I own an X2. The Malibu was flawless for 750 hours. Never towed in once, and it never sunk! I love my X2, but is some respects, I liked the Malibu more. These two mfgers focus their innovation and quality in different traits. Malibu interior was far better in my opinion.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
Good post J-Rod,

BUT

quote:

Malibu interior was far better in my opinion.

About the only thing....LOL.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
j/k........Calm down BU lovers!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-31-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
Ed, How many warranty repairs has your MC had?

Sorry my friend, but I had to go there to prove my point.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
2 and going in for the 3rd tomorrow.

Twice,for the SAME THING...The damn alt.bracket bolt and it went in the 2nd time b/c it didn't get fixed properly the 1st time and now for a possible gauge.

All new boat problems,nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't really think you proved anything there tho?!!
Old     (bobby_b)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-31-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
I've owned a Wakesetter and now I own an X2. The Malibu was flawless for 750 hours. Never towed in once, and it never sunk! I love my X2, but is some respects, I liked the Malibu more. These two mfgers focus their innovation and quality in different traits. Malibu interior was far better in my opinion.

I don't really think you proved anything there tho?!!

I think J-Rod proved that he doesnt have ownership googles like you Ed. Nobody wants to hear your opinion Ed, because we know what it is going to be before you even start typing. J-Rod on the other hand, will call it like he see's it. Even though he owns a M/C, he can admit to the fact that other brands have some better features.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-31-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
Thanks Bobby.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Aside from the fact that I wanted a awesome wake, It was all about the dealer support. Skiworld is the place to buy a boat. I wanted a new VLX also, but they were firm on the price, and the dealer/service dept has a bad. reputation.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-31-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
I still can't figure out why people think the Malibu interior is so great? It's certainly very nice, but what specifically seperates it from any of the other high quality boat interiors?

Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-31-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
joe, we have a 'bu, and i think the main thing is the quality of the vinyl used. MC vinyl for example, seems really stiff(which can be a good thing) and uncomfortable. it's all preference.

my 2 cents on the 'bu v. mc topic. i like mc, i would seriosuly consider buying an x-1 (because it's value priced now lol.) if i was in the market, but because of an unspecified dealer and some discrepancies said dealer had with a friend, i would rather have the 'bu and travel all the way to murrieta for service.

Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-31-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
Paul- after your post this morning I decided to go and see for myself. Chatfield Reservoir is closed to boating, there is ice around the shore lines. I did buy a 2006 season pass to the State Parks, so my trip wasn't completely useless. I called the MC dealer and he is going to check their lake up north. I really truly hope they are thawed.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Bobby,If you are not aware,J-rod got on the BU GOGGLES(not google)on as well,this time around he just wanted a BETTER WAKE.buahahahahahaha

And I do agree with

quote:

I still can't figure out why people think the Malibu interior is so great? It's certainly very nice, but what specifically seperates it from any of the other high quality boat interiors?

But on the other hand they are considered by many nicer soo whatever....

BOBBY,my whole point is that J-rods post was insinuating that BU's are more reliable but it all depends on luck.My theory behind it is that whoever sells the most boats are going to have the most problems......Just by # alone,nothing else.

quote:

Nobody wants to hear your opinion Ed,

You and a few.....not all

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-31-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
You would think with that forcast that the lakes would thaw enough to test. we have very similiar weather down here, and all the bodies of water are open. They freeze a little overnight, but thaw nicly during the day. Hope it works out for you.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
not to say one boat is better than the other, but...

quote:

what specifically seperates it from any of the other high quality boat interiors?

looks and feels better, and much MUCH roomier.
Old     (bobby_b)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-31-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
BOBBY,my whole point is that J-rods post was insinuating that BU's are more reliable but it all depends on luck.My theory behind it is that whoever sells the most boats are going to have the most problems......Just by # alone,nothing else.

If you go by #'s alone:
Malibu = 3500 boats per year
M/C = 3100 boats per year
Your theory does not work.

You and a few.....not all

Not all....but most.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   

quote:

Malibu = 3500 boats per year
M/C = 3100 boats per year
Your theory does not work.

So what's confusing you??Did you even understand my post??Doesn't seem like it!

I was stating A fact that I know way more Malibu's that are in the shop then MC and that exactly proves my point.
You don't know anything about me if you are thinking that I'm talking crap about BU.The reason you caught me saying stuff to defend MC is b/c some people on here were stating wrong information.They are both awesome boats and need to be checked out and demoed......Go suck your thumb if you are not already.

quote:

Not all....but most.

How do you know that???

Joe,as far as roomier.....depends on which 2 boats you are comparing..

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
the boats i've ridden in;

x2 vs. vlx
x30 vs. lsv
Old     (bobby_b)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-31-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
I was stating A fact that I know way more Malibu's that are in the shop then MC

Stating a fact means that you actually have proof. Would you like to elaborate on this or is this another one of your theories.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-31-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
Off topic but is it me or is the X1 cramped feeling and lacking storage?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
it's not you. the interior is really small. not to say it's a bad thing. it's a wakeboard boat, not a raging party boat.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
Yes, the X1 has a cramped cockpit. This is it's biggest flaw. This is why I was excited about the new X2 until I learned that it builds a more rampy wake.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-31-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
Paul- I dunno, I'd think they would have thawed as well, but it didn't look like it. BOth the mC and BU dealer demo at the same lake, so I am sure as soon as it is useable, they will get me out there, especially the MC guys, they are sitting on the X45.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   

quote:

Stating a fact means that you actually have proof. Would you like to elaborate on this or is this another one of your theories.

Bobby,I don't want to start naming names of all the BU owners that are having trouble with their boat,It is not fair and don't ask me to do that.I was talking from my experiences,DOESN'T EVERYBODY???
I think you should quit while I'm still being nice to you b/c frankly you gave me no reason to be.

Joe,I agree 100%....What do you think about the new VLX and the X-Star???

Yes the X-1 is small,come to think of it,in actual dimentions,It is the smallest wakeboat on the market but yet it's not the worst in storage nor comfort.(size wise)
Old     (bobby_b)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-31-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
Ed,I will quit when I'm ready to quit and I really dont care if you are nice to me or not. Doesnt bother me one way or another.
I think everyone is tired of you bashing every other brand compared to M/C. M/C builds a nice boat but so does C/C and Malibu. Once you realize that and stop bashing, then maybe your opinion will be valued.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
new vlx = roomy, comfy
new xstar = roomy, comfy

but you can't really put one versus the other. one's a 21 footer while the other's a bigger boat. i would be more inclined to compare the xstar to the lsv, size wise.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 4:30 PM Reply   
Bobby,can you tell me WHEN I was bashing BU???

I couldn't care less if you valued my opinion,who are you supposed to be anyway?You not caring if I'm being nice tells me something about your character....

But JOE,you put a V-ride up with an X-1???way differents in size...more the half a foot each way...width and length....new X-star is 22'3" VLX 21'6" LSV 23' about the same width,so the comparison is about equal to your comparison If not,I was trying to be more fair with the size comparison.

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on January 31, 2006)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-31-2006, 4:36 PM Reply   
for the record. I never stated Malibu was more reliable. I was only sharing my personal experience. I think it is luck or draw of the straw. And I agree that if you have more boats in the public, you could certainly have more warranty work to do.

What is nicer about BU interior? Much more stylish. Some cushions are on hinges. I like the wall to wall carpet and the vinyl across the dash. It looks and feels more luxurious to me.

This will really discust Ed....I offered to trade Conway my X2 for his VLX at the boat show. But I didn't really expect him to say yes!

Either way, I am equally as happy with my MC.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-31-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
"M/C builds a nice boat but so does C/C and Malibu."

Don't forget Sanger...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
i didn't put the x-1 against the v-ride.

no, the vlx is not an equal comparison to the xstar by ANY means.

vlx = 21'6" long, 98" beam

xstar = 22'3" long, 100" beam

lsv = 23' long, 100" beam

it may be a mere few inches here and there, but in interior space, it's a lot.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-31-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
you must be a sloucher j-rod. the moment i slouched down on the softer malibu cushions, i was hooked. it's always refreshing to see someone with thin ownership goggles. i know i'm not the only one who loves all boats and never volunteers my own boat for the day in an attempt to "experience different wakes" [read: if it's not my boat, it's not my gas]. if only my stupid friends would stop volunteering it for me
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 1:08 pm:

quote:

the boats i've ridden in;

x2 vs. vlx
x30 vs. lsv

Not really sure what you meant here then?

J-rod good post,sometimes I feel like you are the only one that understands my comments, and about trading your boat for the VLX..ABSOLUTELY,POSITIVELY.....not.VLX is great boat!

(Message edited by big_ed_x2 on January 31, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
you said;

quote:

Joe,as far as roomier.....depends on which 2 boats you are comparing..

i compared the x2 w/ the vlx cause they're both 21 footers, and the lsv w/ the x30 cause they're both 23 footers.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 5:08 PM Reply   
joe,

VLX 21'plus not sure exactly and the beam is like almost half a foot bigger
X2 20'7"beam 90'

NOT a fair comparison
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-31-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
i think joe is just trying to say the x2 and the vlx are marketed against each other as top flight "smaller" wakeboard boats, so boat buyers usually compare the two. you rarely see people comparing the vlx to the x-10 because the two boats fit two different needs, even if they are similar in size. so while it may not be fair to compare the vlx to the x2 in terms of dimensions, people will continue to compare interior space because the boats are competeting for the same market space.

(Message edited by JcV on January 31, 2006)
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-31-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
from the specs in the waterski mag, jan/feb 2006

VLX 21'6" beam-98" base price-47,900
X-2 20' beam-94" base price-56,290

objectivity
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
Jeff,I thought that exactly when I compared the new VLX and the X-STAR...
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-31-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
Could someone in SoCal PLEASE let me ride in and then wipe down their pre-picklefork X-Star? Was the X-2, now it's the X-1, right? After that, then the new X-Star and the VLX. Maybe in that order. Might have to do some waiting around, huh?

THEN...maybe I'll understand better how your wakes differ from mine and eachother's.

Also thought the thread needed some pix or an F-bomb or something.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-31-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Ed, the vlx still passes for a small wakeboarding boat--albeit barely--while the x-star is a beast (more in terms of width, weight, and height than length). i think most people will more than likely compare and contrast the old x2 with the new vlx because of their similarities in appeal and, the biggest factor, price. most people seriously considering an x-star are probably going to look at an lsv or even the 247 at a more "comparative" price. i'm sure there are exceptions, but i would think it would be rare for potential buyers to compare boats with a 20k price difference (vlx vs. x-star)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-31-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
derek, as long as you've got the gas bill, i'll lock my boat in the garage never to be seen again and ride your boat every day and twice on sunday. i don't profess to be a wake expert, nor do i experience any significant improvements in ability from wake to wake, so i've yet to meet a boat i didn't love. i'm a boat owner and a boat whore...it's the best of both worlds
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-31-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
Sunday's good for me ;-)
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2006, 8:50 PM Reply   
OK maybe the price differents is big but the actual size of the boat is not...

I was talking about how they market it.Prime wakeboat that pulls the X-games to a prime wakeboat that pulls the ________.not sure.

VLX --------------X-2
21'6" compared to 20'7". 11 inch diff.
98" compared to 90'. 8 inch diff.

NOW
21'6" compared to 22'3".9 inch diff.
98' compared to 100'.2 inch diff.

As you can see,the VLX is a lot bigger then an X2 and the X-STAR is bigger then the VLX but not even close to how much bigger the VLX is over the old X2.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-01-2006, 5:32 AM Reply   
OMG, I need to sell my VLX for a boat that pulls the X games. Sad to say there are probably a few idiots out there who will base there buying decision on that. So Big Ed says MC is going after image conscious buyer who care less about anything else? What i see in Dallas from the BU crowd is that they have the cash to buy any damn boat they like, but they prefer a great QPR, thus they buy BU.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-01-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
X-star is a great boat with a great wake. LSV is a great boat with a great wake. I had the pleasure of riding both last year. Interior space, there is no comparison in size. The LSV has a huge interior and was very plush and comfy. Malibu seems to have the market cornered in roomy "party barge" type wake boats. While they do have their place, a lot of people will never use all that room. 6-7 people and boards in an X-star never really felt crowded to me and that is as big a crew as I would ever take out.

My friend just bought a new x2 and I can't wait to see how that feels this year. My bet is that it will be more than comfortable and more than capable in producing a great wake for our skill level. Then again, so would most other boats. Point is there is no one "best", just price differences.
Eric
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-01-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
so true Eric. The roominess in the 247 is exactly why I am liking it. We often have 10-14 people in our S22, and it does get crowded. We had 16 at one point last summer, a lot of kids, but a lot of butts that need a seat. The fact that the 247 has a terrific wake etc... is just extra bonus.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-01-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
OMG, I need to sell my MC for a Bu since the Bu Crowd is so cool.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-01-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
I love how this always turns into a "swordfest" when someone raises this question.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-01-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
Just saying the huge c*ckpit area in the 247 is the main reason for me leaning towards the 247, so far; not saying anything negative about the X45. It is a great boat as well. But thanks for the cool comment, Paul. I do feel cool sometimes, like when after I faceplant and my eyelids are inverted, or when I slide out too far, dip my buttocks, and get that enema-ic wedgie. That is cool. I don't think coolness is gauged by the boat you own. One of my best friends cruises around in an old Bayliner or something. It is teal and pink, but he loves it. That is sort of cool in it's own way. He takes care of it like a firstborne son. Having cool things is so subjective, the next guy may think you are a dork. I don't like sparkly fishing boats, it probly scares the fish away when they see the sun glimmering up there, but obviously fisherman love 'em, there were a ton at the boatshow. I know this now diversified thread we are on is largely a collection of opinions, and that is cool. COOL. cool.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-01-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
"the X-STAR is bigger then the VLX but not even close to how much bigger the VLX is over the old X2."

and yet the vlx still costs less. i've got nothing but respect for mc's marketing department. while no one will argue that mastercraft makes one hell of a nice boat--easily one of the best, if not the best--they continue to sell their product for thousands over the competetition AND compete with malibu for number of units moved. mc definitely knows what they're doing in the boat industry. i remember a few years ago when everyone i knew wanted the new x-star regardless of the $70k price tag. and i think the new simplistic graphics (why aren't they an option on the x-star?)are going to be huge. mc always seems to be a step ahead of the curve when it comes to appealing to the hardcore wakeboarding market.

ed, we're just going to agree to disagree. i've never met anyone looking at the x-star and the vlx side by side. it's always been the x2/x1 vs. vlx and the x-star vs. lsv. i don't think anyone considers the x-star a "small" wakeboard boat. dimensions don't tell the whole story. with the pickle-fork, the x-star is wide throughout and much heavier. the people looking at x-stars likely want the extra room and would compare it to lsv's and 226's and 24v's and 24gg's. people looking for something a little smaller are going to be looking at 210's, 22v's, launch 21v's, vlx's, and x2/x1's, fair comparison or not.

not that it matters, but the vlx pulls wakestock among other smaller events. just like most of the boats used in videos, tournament boats are determined by who pays the bills, not by rider's preference or perceived quality.

(Message edited by JcV on February 01, 2006)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-01-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Festivus, I was making fun of Shanes post. I don't believe a bit of that. I just thought this was BS;
"What i see in Dallas from the BU crowd is that they have the cash to buy any damn boat they like, but they prefer a great QPR, thus they buy BU."
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-01-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Festivus- Sounds like with the amount of people you'd be bringing out on the water your in the right ballpark for boat choice. I'm sure either boat will make you happy. Having not been in either I won't comment much, but talking to different MC people as well as Bu people I get the impression both have a good wake. My concern would be how wide the wake is. From your comments it sounds like you go out, have a good time, enjoy riding, etc.... I've been told by local Bu people that have been out the wake is good, but rope should be about 85 ft to clean up the wake. Please, I haven't been out on one so please don't bust me on this fellas. It's just what I've heard, but judging from my Lsv wake, best at 70ft or longer, I would presume that assumption is correct. My thoughts are the average or beginner wakeboarder, ie the kids, may get discouraged or intimidated by the wakes being so far apart. It would also probably be one heck of a wake if hit hard and could more than easily launch an aggresive rider up and over no problem. That is what pretty much sold me on my demo ride for the LSV. As for boat quality and such, either boat is very "Cool", indmar engine, quality interiors, blah blah blah...... As I said before I haven't been out in or ridden behind an X-45, but I did get a chance to cruise beside one last summer, the wake was pretty big, looked like it would need to be ridden at 80ft or longer from my perspective. The boat definantly made its presence felt.It was huge!
I personally don't feel you would be dissapointed with either one, it would all fall on dealer satisfaction to me.
All the my boat's better than your boat stuff has been entertaining to say the least, but I'm sure it hasn't done much to help in your decision. Really, I'm kinda embarrassed to own either one after reading all this thread, and I've owned both brands.Good Luck, wouldn't blame you if you went with a completely different brand of boat after all the bashing!
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-01-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Paul- I tend to agree. I didn't notice at the Denver boat show any different customers b/n the two mfgrs. There were more sales guys at MC wandering around. I was a little sickened by the way both sales staff had to point out faults in the other boat to make theirs seem better.
55 today, so hopefully demo on Friday or Saturday.....
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-01-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
okay I agree (i think) with big ed

Wake VLX Marketed as Malibu's Premier Wake Boat
X-star- MC's Premier Wake Boat

I always compare them, but this is what's great

If you take a tape measure in the mid section of each boat, you get the following

VLX=77"
X-star=80"

Now Length from Helm, to Motorbox (rear seatback)
VLX=89"
x-star=69"

I know this is spartain, but multiply the two numbers

VLX= 6853 Sq. inches
x-star= 5520 Sq inches

I have no way of doing the Bow area, and the X-Star is indeed larger capacity, But here's the two Longest point length, and Width Measurements

VLX=54"length x 52" Width (more triangular)
X-star= 59" length X 49" Width (more squared off)

So dimension wise, the VLX Wastes the X-star in the aft, The X-Star Beats the VLX in the bow

Now Human Butt test.

I sat two of us in a X-Star, and a VLX We started at one side of the Cabin and played Leap-frog all the way around the boat. This tells you seating positions aft the windshield with leg room.
X-star you could comfortably fit 8 with the driver
The VLX was a 9 almost 10 with driver

We did the same in the Bow.
X-Star=3 possibly 4
The VLX was 2 possibly 3

I think these boats are on a very even playing field in terms of passengers and storage

Bring the 23' LSV into the mix and there is no competition at all
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-01-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
"We did the same in the Bow.
X-Star=3 possibly 4
The VLX was 2 possibly 3 "

Are you kidding me?!? I had a chance to watch Trevor Hansen ride (remember Ed) behind Steve Bates X-Star, and we had 4 people in the bow with plenty of room for at least one, if not two more people. We would've had to squeeze in to put 6 up there but 5 would've fit comfortably.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-01-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
I'm going on leg room and all, Comfortable spots to seat, not sardines

was one of the four of you a kid?
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-01-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
No, but no one was over 200lbs.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-01-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   

quote:

OMG, I need to sell my VLX for a boat that pulls the X games. Sad to say there are probably a few idiots out there who will base there buying decision on that. So Big Ed says MC is going after image conscious buyer who care less about anything else?

I didn't mean to say that the MC is better for pulling the X-games,I was just pointing out the premier wakeboats.I know it's the manufacturer that payed the bills that pulls whatever games.

Nobody is arguing the price but Jeff,where did you find a VLX cheaper then the old X-2????I think you missed something I said,maybe you thought I meant the X-2.

To me it looks like everybody wants o compare a smaller MC to a bigger BU.I have been in A LOT of boats but I'm yet to be in one that is more comfy then the X-Star.

Shawn,I think we had like 11 or 12 people comfortably in the X that day and maybe nobody was 200lbs but we were all grown adults pushing 200lbs,I know I'm almost there...
And the 2nd most comfortable boat I ever been is either Dave Williams VLX or J-rod's old LSV.