Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-15-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
Nick,
In 1992 there wasn't much else to do behind a boat but slalom. Every wakeboard boat manufacturer who has been around since then grew with the movement. MC and CC were aiming for good slalom wakes then too, right? Or are you saying they were pitching towers and wakeboards then, etc.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-15-2004, 7:12 PM Reply   
No, Pigeon though the others, mainly MC and CC were focusing too much on Jump and Trick, so he went all slalom, that is what I was talking about. There was a lot to do behind the boat way before wakeboarding showed up.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-16-2004, 6:36 AM Reply   
DJL, I can only add to what Nick has already stated. "What makes a MasterCraft so hot other than their name?"...construction, materials utilized during construction, technology in construction, dealer support network (around 140 dealers at last count) but probably most importantly resale (not just residual value but ease of resale). Those are the reasons that MasterCraft is “so hot”, or at least enough to prove my point.

On the flip side I do remember the ’98 ProStar…worse yet I remember every interior in ’99! For the record I have never said MasterCraft builds a perfect boat or anything close to it. MasterCraft does a great job but there is room for improvement…just like every other manufacturer. Do I believe that MasterCraft builds a better boat than Tige’? Damn right I do, and so do about 2500 other people each year. Simple market forces at work here folks, IF Tige’ was building a better boat than the rest of the industry wouldn’t more people buy it? Or do you truly believe that the secret has been kept from the consumer for over 12 years? And if that is what you believe what does that say about Tige’ as a company, they have the best product in the industry but have somehow managed not to convince the vast majority of consumers for over a decade?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
These debates will never cease. As long as every one continues to play nicely it's all good.

BTW, Jeff that color combo is sick I love red and gray - sharp boat. The bimini could use some work though. No offense, just my opinion.

Here's my perspective...

I like what Tige has done in 04'. First and foremost, addressing the wake issue with a new hull. Secondly, the tower. It might have worked, but it just doesn't seem right if it's not sturdy. That and the wake are the first thing a rider notices. I could care less about the wood stringers until it becomes a problem.
That being said, my buddy has a 21V riders with 1,500 hrs and it's been a great boat. He isn't a hardcore rider, so the wake and tower don't bother him at all. He has tons on storage and I've driven these boats, they handle great for a V drive.

I bought an MC because I grew up skiing in the 80's and it was MC and CC. I knew what I was buying. I wasn't well versed on all the other boats even though I had heard about Malibu, Tige, Supra and Centurion. That, and there wasn't a dealer nearby in Central Florida that had a reputation. Even though the Malibu dealer was on the rise, the market here was dominated by the two.

I have seriously considered a new 04' 20V Tige as my next boat along with the X-2, VLX and SAN. I think they all make a quality product. Tige has had some issues maybe more recently than the others, but I agree that good companies address these issues and overcome them and in my eyes Tige's are in the rear veiw mirror.
Old    tigetx            01-16-2004, 8:21 AM Reply   
David,

The new Tower is sturdy and tight. I have also ridden behind a 03 22V, which has the same hull design, and the wake is awesome, nice size and great shape.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, I guess I didn't get that point accross - I understand they have changed the tower.

I would LOVE to ride behind one of these newer Tige's including the '03 22V. I'm sure the wake is nice even with minimal weight.
Old    aquajack            01-16-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
David D, not only is the 22V a great wakeboard boat, is is better than any Nautique (besides say an older "barefoot" nautique) I have ever barefooted behind. The wake table is smooth and the bigger size of boat mashes down the chop pretty darn well.
I was barefoot testing a 22V a few weeks ago in some chop and I simply hung out directly behind the boat to get away from the rough water. The boat is super easy to wake-cross on your feet. The curl is also high enuff to keep you from being sucked back in the middle while doing your tumble turns and tricks in the curl as well. I mention this to you because of your pic of you barefooting in a recent post. The 21i is better then a Nautique to barefoot behind too. The TAPS allows you to dial in, or should I say dial out, the rooster tail and table foor footing at the higher speeds. Like 39mph+. The skiability of the 22V wake was better than the of a Nautique 216 and about equal to that of a 93-2002 sport or air nautique. Several of us just completed water Testing EVERY 2004 Tige Boat and Every Motor a few weeks ago. So I can tell you 1st hand on the 2004 hulls. I use the Nautique comparison because I have owned them and have footed every Nautique model for the last 5 years. I have only footed a few models of the other brands like Sanger, MC, Malibu & Flightcraft. I can not speak from experience for any other brands because the rest of the brands are not prevelant in our market.
just my .02
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-16-2004, 12:10 PM Reply   
Zedz,

Mastercraft is lucky to have someone as committed to their products as you. The theme here was simply to show some Tige pics between people whom appreciate the brand. For you to take it upon yourself to show us the error of our ways is admirable. Good effort, but I for one think Tige builds boats as well as your beloved MC. This might be the point where we should agree to disagree.

Old    tigejohn21i            01-16-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
Gotta share a story.

I was installing my heater in my 21i a couple of weeks ago. I had a question about the wiring..so, I called Tige directly. The guy in charge of production, Ryan was nice enough to walk me thru some things over the phone. He confirmed some things with the guy that actually drafts the electrical specs and called me back a couple of times. Needless to say, I got the heater installed myself (well, with the help of a capable friend of mine -- just in case he's reading)

When I got the idea to call Tige directly, I honestly figured that they would send me to the dealer. However, they hung in there with me and gave me the support I needed.
Old    matt_dettman            01-16-2004, 10:35 PM Reply   
John,

Nice Extreme trailer under that 22V!

What's all that white stuff on the ground?
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-17-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
Matt,

Only 4 1/2 months till the lakes thaw! Now thats depressing.

Old    tigejohn21i            01-17-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
After they thaw, how long before you can dip the big toe in?
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-17-2004, 6:00 PM Reply   
I bet Zedz and his Mastercraft could pull riders through that ice...
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       01-17-2004, 8:31 PM Reply   
Usually the first week of May, so I was mistaken. "Only" 3 1/2 months. The water was 52F when we first got in last spring. Early season enthusiasm however dictates that: If it's calm enough, it's warm enough.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-18-2004, 12:00 AM Reply   
You waited until it was 52. I thought you northerners were tough!
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-19-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
John,
Glad you like your boat...enjoy it when the thaw comes.

Oh and Oscar...no problem! (relax...just kidding!)
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-19-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
I went 6 days ago. Even here in the land of the sun the water was 46 degrees.

Indeed, Calm enough is warm enough
Old     (h2oskeefreek)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-19-2004, 7:28 PM Reply   
oscar, a few years back, a friend of mine built an "ice breaker" out of wood and attached it to his barefoot nautique. he skied on the frozen tippecanoe river in indiana. that guy is friggin nuts.
Old    tball            01-19-2004, 7:33 PM Reply   
Just ordered an 04 22V; can't wait to join the bickering in here. I heard it was actually an X-7 that deflected the foul ball from Moises Alou in last season's NLCS. Nothin' but love...I wouldn't kick any towboat outta my storage bldg.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       01-26-2004, 4:53 PM Reply   
Setting up at the B'ham Boat Show,Orange 21i,Moto Green 22i,Yellow 22V,Red 24V.
tiges
tiges

Old    kailua_al            01-27-2004, 2:12 PM Reply   
2002 20i at the Colorado River. LOVE IT!!!

TIge 20i
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-27-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
kaiser, i just now figured out where that name came from. The usual suspects.
Old    ichoop            01-27-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
Just wanted to let all the tige owners know about the new tige owners website. www.tigeowners.com
Old    hyperryd            01-27-2004, 5:02 PM Reply   
Here are some pics of my old Tige. Sold it last year.

Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-27-2004, 6:40 PM Reply   
Awesome graphics John!
Old    blr            01-27-2004, 10:18 PM Reply   
heres a pic of my tige - maybe you know someone that wants to buy it (it's for sale). I want a new tige!!
2001 22ir
Old    matt_dettman            01-27-2004, 10:27 PM Reply   
Karen,

Nice looking boats! I hope you had as great a show as most other Tige' dealers have had! I can't wait for our Vegas show on Feb 19th...
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       01-29-2004, 7:15 AM Reply   
Hi Matt,
We had a good first night, the crowds were not great but quality people out and about.We have five of our Formula owners upgrading and two of our Tige owners upgrading.Send me a private email what you are wanting for your 20i if you still have it.
Thanks,
Karen
Old    blr            01-29-2004, 4:49 PM Reply   
no longer in need of a buyer for my tige i posted, it is sold!! yahoo. get to go order my new tige this weekend!! SO psyched!
Old    matt_dettman            01-29-2004, 11:27 PM Reply   
I sold the 20i two weeks ago! Another happy Tige' owner!
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-18-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
New 22V RE
Flackpack 22V RE
Old     (h2oskeefreek)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2004, 6:51 PM Reply   
john, how do you like the phat budde tower??
Old    banks            02-18-2004, 7:20 PM Reply   
My Tige'
My Tige'
Old    thekuz            02-18-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
Picked up my 24V Riders with new graphic 2 weeks ago.
Tige 24V Riders
Old    thekuz            02-18-2004, 8:44 PM Reply   
Next.
Old    thekuz            02-18-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
Another.

Old    blr            02-18-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
thekuz is that a custom graphic? factory option? i have the same ride on the way. should be here in about a month. that graphic is sweet.
Old    thekuz            02-18-2004, 10:26 PM Reply   
I got it from the dealer in Corona, CA. They designed it themselves.
Old    spicoli            02-18-2004, 10:40 PM Reply   
the lake powell picture is sooo sick. thats awesome.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-19-2004, 12:52 AM Reply   
Tom, Nice boat. We ride at Elsinore almost every weekend. I would love to ride behind you boat and see how the newer hull is. Wife likes our seating (dual captain chairs) over the wrap around, which is why I haven't gone with the 24V... yet

Here is ours with the Rankin towable cover.

23V with Rankin cover