Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2007, 3:37 PM Reply   
Ok this is definately a newbie question, but im curious... with regards to non pro audio tower speakers, how do i know how hard i can push em before they blow. Ive got 4 4-way sony's (dont hate, its what i could afford at the time, and im actually really pleased with how they sound)bein pushed by a 600watt rms 4 channel amp at 4ohms. i know i got plenty of power goin to them so how do i know what they can do? are there any signs before they blow?
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-16-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
I get close to the speakers and look, if they are moving as far as the surround will go, thats a bad sign. (dont stay that close to the speakers at that volume too long). I then go somewhere quiet and turn the volume up until you hear distortion. When you hear distortion, thats too loud. Also, remeber that volume on the deck, because you may be tempted to turn it up higher when you are out in the boat and moving. Just cause you cant hear the distortion doesnt mean its not there. You will also need to be careful with the gain on the amp (i usually set mine around half). One more thing, at high volumes and the speaker sounds like garbage, yuo not only run the risk of ruining your speakers, but frying your amp too. This happens when the amp doesnt have enough power to control the speakers voice coil anymore, but it is trying its hardest.

I may be wrong on some of this, but i have never blown anything and these are my generic running guidelines.
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-16-2007, 4:01 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, smoke is a bad sign too
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-16-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
Or the smell of burning electronics. Some might know what I mean. I had a buddy that boat a brand new Moomba last year and whenever we cranked the tower speakers we could smell something burning never found out what it was but it doesn't happen anymore. LOL
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-16-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
Or people flipping the bird
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-16-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
cool thanks guys, my gain is set at a lil less than half, i just need to find that spot where it distorts.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-16-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
They will distort when you are overdriving them. If you hear distortion you should turn the gain on your amp down so your little cousin (or whoever) can't mess with your head unit and blow your speakers.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-18-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
WHAT?
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-19-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
huh? can you speak up