Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-23-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
Im looking for a used kiteboarding setup...the new kites are just too expensive lol. Anyone have anything? And, just wondering, can I use my wakeboard instead of a "kiteboard"?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-23-2007, 9:57 PM Reply   
because kiteboards have less rocker, which makes them cost about twice as much.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2007, 10:45 PM Reply   
I have a best 11 meter with pully bar

I use nothing but wakeboards
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-24-2007, 3:22 AM Reply   
Also, I weigh 180, what size kite do I need?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-24-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
Lyle-
Check out this forum. http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/list.php
Great place to learn about kiting.
What size kite you will need is going to depend on the wind speed. The more wind the smaller the kite you will need. Where are you located and what are the typical wind speeds?
Kiting isn't the easiest thing in the world to learn and I definitely recommend going and getting a lesson if you are serious about getting into it. The hardest part for a person who already boards is flying the kite. I would get a small trainer kite 3m or something and learn to fly it. Practice with it till you can basically know where the kite is and what it is going to do without even having to look at it. Once you are solid with the small kite you will be ready for some training on a big one. The bigger ones can really hand your butt to you if you take them lightly.
Stan

(Message edited by sbt3 on March 24, 2007)
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Lyle
You might want hold off on getting a kite that is even a couple of years old!
Go to a place like Real kiteboarding and get a lesson, then have them rig you a new kite that has the extra lines for relaunching and a kite "4-line" from even two years ago that does not have this. Then you can decide for yourself how much easier it is to relaunch the kite.
I know once you get better you will not crash the kite as much but as you progress why spend so much energy relaunching when you can be riding!
Good luck and be safe!
Scott
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
What about 2005 kites, I was looking at a set online for sale, the full kit with a 14, 12, and a 10 along with everything you need, they are Naish Torch kites. How is that for 675 with a board that I will probably sell.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-26-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
Call Terry at Island Surf & Sail. He specializes in kiteboarding. www.islandsurf-sail.com
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-26-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
I'd also look at the Best stuff, that is what I had, you could get a quiver of kits for the price of one of the other brands. Also, GET A LESSON. Being 180, You'll probably want 10, 14, 18. I'd also look into a 5 line or similar setup, make re-launching much easier.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-26-2007, 6:19 AM Reply   
Where do you live and where do you plan on riding? What kind of riding are you planning on doing the most, wake, big air, waves? While all kites will do all styles, some are are more suited for a particular style than others.

I would buy the cheapest stuff you can find, and learn on em. You are going to beat them up learning. Once you get going on it, then buy some nicer ones.

Thats about right for 05 kites in good condition. Prob some similar deals out there fro some 06's as well. www.iwindsurf.com is where to find the used stuff. Also check www.bestkiteboarding.com. They usually have a really good used selection that you will know isnt torn up or have twisted bladders.

I would use that big board to learn on, then dump it. A wakeboard works but requires alot of power because of the rocker.

hey Ryan, have you ridden a Waroo yet? Rode one for the first time Sat, and not sure if I want to pull the trigger on one. The power and speed was impressive, but a beating with no stopper ball. I hear the newer ones have a stopper.
Old     (bergz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-28-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
I have a 12 M slingshot fuel, an airush lift 7.4 (for windy days), airush bar and lines, and a dakine harness for sale. If you are interested in any of the above hit me with an email.

email: bergz_14@hotmail.com
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-02-2007, 10:42 PM Reply   
Yeah thanks guys, Im definetly going to buy something soon.