Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-23-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
I figured I'd start a new thread that spawned from another post.

I just got an Avalanche C-4, and while I know the wakes are more temperamental than other boats, I've seen some amazing wake pictures from people out here.
How are you weighting the boats for these great wakes?

In addition to hearing your setups ( and seeing any wake pics) I would love a little advice on how to try weight mine..
I don't have a center ballast tank, I opted for the 2nd fuel tank ( will work as ballast for the most part..) and I have the hard tanks in the back. I do have the hydraulic plate.
Was considering the integrated bow sac, but after reading a few opinions, not so sure..
Thoughts?

(Message edited by ANGRYGOlucky on February 23, 2007)
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-23-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
I also found out the 2nd tank is 30 gallons,
while the ballast tanks are 25 gallons.
Obviously going to need to add some weight....
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-23-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
I have an 05 Avalanche C4, It came with the 3 tank set-up, I replaced the rear tanks with twin v-drive sacks. Then add about 300 pounds of lead most on the port side to counter the starbord side torque and driver weight. The hydraulic wake plate is all the way up. The Avaalanche doesnt like front weight and it does not need more than about 1500 pounds of ballast for a great wake. Solid, vertical, great lip. Same picture from the previous thread. You can see a video of my son riding in the thread "Phil Aslinger 2006 highlights" most all the boat shots are behind the Avalanche.
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-23-2007, 10:58 PM Reply   
It was your pic that prompted me to start this thread. I had heard from people that the any liked weight in the front, so when I read your post I was intrigued and wanted to find out what other avalanche owners had to say about their ballast experiences...
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-24-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Mike,
The avy with t he factory 3 tank setup imo doesn't need the bow weight. But from my experiences my buddies have removed the hard tanks and put 400lb scas back there left the center tank and needed about 250-300 in the nose to really crisp out the wake. With that additional 400lbs (200 on each side because the factory hard tanks are around 200)in the rear you have to offset it in the nose a little to be able to ride at 75-80ft otherwise it starts to curl at 23mph back there. When you add that 250+- to the nose it removes that curl and cleans it up past 80ft.

George has his wake pretty dialed from his pics. VERY VERY CLEAN. Aslo agree with the need more port weight depending on how big your crew is and also the plate all the way up. If you have 2 people(adults) to offset the driver on the port side you shouildn't need that 300 but if not you will need some weight to offset the driver like George said. MY buddy keeps 4 45lb olympic plates that he rubber coated under the left and right rear bench seats(2 on each side for an evenly loaded boat) but when he doesn't have a big enough crew too offset that extra weight he moves them all to the port side. Always clean.

The second fuel tank I"m pretty sure is about where the center tank would go.....the only thing is that when your not full on fuel you'll be low on that ballast and fuel goes fast these days so I would still keep and extar sac around for the nose to fill after a day of riding is winding down just is case. So I"d like the option of the bow sac if it were my boat :-)

(Message edited by hookedonboardin on February 24, 2007)
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-24-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
Forgot to also add that he rides with a regular crew of 6 so there is at least 5 people in the boat at all times all over 180lbs. If he didn't have them all in the cockpit I"d say leave the nose empty - 100lbs depending on the amount of peeps....that was a big thing to leave out SORRY!
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-24-2007, 9:34 PM Reply   
The main tank is up in the front, while the 2nd tank ( 30 gallon) is in the center where the ballast would be...
All the more reason to add the integrated v-sac for the bow! That I'll do sooner than later!
As for the rear sacs, we'll see. either I add other sacs, or I'll swap out the tanks eventually.
Would love to hear other opinions as well.
Thanks guy!
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-24-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
Hey Mike, how's it going! I see you purchased your new toy. Congrats. Hope you enjoy it.

I've talked to you before about my ballast setup, and it's pretty identical to Swatguys, and George's somewhat.I also have 800lbs total in the rear, plus my factory center tank. I too have weight up front like Swatguy, to clean it up further back, because I ride at about 75ft, but at only 22 mph. This boat is not only sensitive to weight balance, but also speed. The wake starts to curl over at about 72ft without the front ballast, so i'd have to speed up to about 24 mph to clean it up back there. That's too fast for me, therefore the bow ballast.

I think you'll be fine for now with the stock ballast Mike. I first started riding this boat at 65ft to learn wake to wake moves and it helped a lot. Now i'm at 75ft, and believe me, you have to be hucking to get across. Can't imagine 80+ft!

(Message edited by c4avalanchen on February 24, 2007)
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-25-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
I'm sure stock will be fine at first, but we'll see how long that lasts for..
It seems everyone swaps out the hard tanks in the back, not just adding addt'l weight. It'll be interesting to play around with it once I can really start to put weight on. I still need to finish the break-in.
I'll probably start with the integrated bow sac, and some type of movable weight for side weighting.
At some point I know I'll have to swap out the rear tanks, but I'm curious if anyone has dropped in the 750's and how the results been. You guys have given good reviews on the 400's.
Maybe I'm over-thinking because I know I don't have a center ballast.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       02-25-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
i'd run 400's on top of the hards in the back and a integrated in the bow. I always try to set up my boat so the wake is prefect with just a driver and a spotter, then empty/adjust ballast when extra people are on board.
Old     (steve300ex)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-25-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
hey, don't mean to barge in,im new to this site, I bought a 05 avalanche with the walk thru the end of last season. 3 factory ballast. my problem is the port wake all the way down is washed out. starboard is great. tried to empy out the starboard sac and had two people on the port side and still no help. were pretty much beginners, so were riding at about 18 with 75' rope. I didn't want to really add tons of weight just yet, im just lookin to make them even. any suggestions would be helpfull.
Old     (steve300ex)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-25-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
wanted to add i dont have a hydralic plate just the stock one and we ride normally with a driver and spotter.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-25-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
Steve, it just takes alot more weight on the port side to overcome the torque of the prop on the v-hull. I understand that a few boats were corrected by changing the alignment of the tracking fins. You probably need 150 pounds extra on the port side. I have lead blocks under the passenger seat.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       02-25-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
75' at 18mph is going to be washed out no matter what boat try a shorter rope or a faster speed. there is no need for a beginner to ride at 75' Bow weight will clean up that wake too.
Old     (steve300ex)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-25-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
hey dave the wake is washed all the way up to the back of the boat. so i don't think the shorter rope is gonna help. i'll try the speed but the starboard wake is perfect still at 18.
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-25-2007, 5:04 PM Reply   
Steve at that speed the wake is going to be next too impossible to clean up. Most boats will have some wash at that speed. Try and get it up to around 20+mph. ALso put your manual plate all the way up. If it's not all the way up that port side wake will never clean up no matter how much you try and get it dialed.

The factory setup is still the same amount of weight in the walkthrough as the C4 version just the driver's side is a bag. Aagin try and get your boarding speed up a little.
Old     (angrygolucky)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-25-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
It'll be interesting to see how I weight mine, once I get through the break in period.
Mine is an '07 so the tracking fin thing should not be a concern.

Where it gets weird for me will be balancing the weight up front, with the back since i don't have the center ballast. I'll probably get some other weight for the center as well, just not sure how much or what type..
Everybody talks about lead weight, where do you guys get lead plates from?
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-26-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
Hey George. Was it difficult to change out the hard tanks because I have been thinking about doing this myself. Which sacs and adapters did you use? I was looking at the Fly High sacs.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-26-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
I use the Fly High sacs, found that regular hardware store fittings work can't remember if it is 3/4 or 1" (I believe it is 3/4) my 05 came with 2 pumps per tank. The empty pump is directly attached to the bag, and the fill and vent hoses directly to hose barbs screwed into the bags. It is not necessary to purchase the expensive fittings from fly high. I have no leaks and I have never had a problem with priming pumps. I could take some pictures later and post if helpful.
Old     (steve300ex)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-26-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
george i was curious if your boat had the same washy port wake when you purchased it. if not maybe i do have a trackin fin problem. i will try to speed it up this season. also do u think if i swap just the port tank for the fat sac that would be good. of just add the weight under the port seats.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-26-2007, 1:59 PM Reply   
Steve, after our first trip out we were very concerned about the washy wake. We went out from the dealer pick-up with only 3 people and couldn't get the wake to quit washing with no ballast on the starboard side. Had to go home and pick-up our lead to get it right. Took alot more on the port side than I could imagine.
Old    Ben Kerran            02-26-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
That is the reason for mounting all my amps on the port side
Old     (steve300ex)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-26-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
what kind of lead do u use. also do u think i should weight both sides to make the boat sit lower. or just adding it to the port side.how much would u say? thank for the help. its been buggin me all winter!
Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-26-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
I too have some wash on the port side. Nice ramp on the starboard side. I just got the boat so I am still in the experimental stages. I have 2 400# bags ordered for the rear lockers. I have put a 300# bag in the playpen, which seemed to take some of the vertical out. From reading all the posts, the best thing is to take it one step at a time. I suspect I will be adding weight to the port side, but will wait until I get the weight in the rear.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-26-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
Steve, I have 13 lead blocks that I made, purchased used tire weights from tire dealer, melted on a propane "turkey fryer" and poured into a steel bread pan. Pic Below, also pics of Fly High pro-x bags with connections - I had to splice the vent line because the line from the hard tank was too short. The rest just connected to the hose barbs. Takes less than 5 minutes to remove the 3 hoses and take the Mayfair cartridge pump out. Greatly improves the wake and makes it easier for maintenance activities on the engine.

Upload
Upload

Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-26-2007, 10:31 PM Reply   
Wow, some nice Avy's on here.....

Lance, your boat color is sick! Real nice.

Rick, you too. Love that tower.

Ben, your system must be incredible. As are the ladies.

Wish we could all get together and ride sometime!
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-27-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips George will be ordering my Fly High sacs soon.

Hey Rodney, thanks for the compliment.