Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-08-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
is Such is Life and Innuendo worth buying and what are the running time on these videos?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-08-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
get such is life. best wake video besides volume 4. keith lyman's part is amazing
Old    kc700            02-08-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
such is life is definitely one of the better videos as far as cinematography is concerned. Both are worth buying, but If you had to pick between the two Such is life is probably the better pick. Danny hampsons double section is amazing.....
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-08-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
Innuendo is a bit on the short side. Side B from such is life is probably just as long as Innuendo. IF you have to pick I would choose such is life but they are both good. Music is good in both such is life is more relax vibe while Innuendo is more of a get up vibe.
Old     (wakebo2169)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-09-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
unless those are the only two videos you don't have in your collection and just want the better of the two, i'd go with inneundo for more up to date riding. i think both are not the best efforts of the two production houses that produced them (AVE and Sidewayz). IF you like wakeskating, byerly's volume series probably is the most solid wakeskating purchase you could make, specifically volumes 2-4.

THe wakeboarding in such is life is pretty solid, but I think that you could probably get better quality, if not more up to date riding by purchasing either the Truth, Bent Felix or Butter Effect or Counterfeit This.

(Message edited by wakebo2169 on February 09, 2007)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-09-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
I dont know about anyone else, but I really liked both. However, Such is Life had too much "pointless" stuff that was supposed to constitute "art?" I really felt that some of it was cool, but when I find myself staring at the wing of an airplane or the front of a shed for 45 seconds, its just not cool anymore.

Innuendo had WAY too many spins, and was really light on flips/mobes. Great editing and film though/
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-09-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
garret thats because colin was in it. haha.

I agree with matt on the fact that the first time you watch such is life it is very artistic and creative but from the second time on its kinda boring to watch a tree sway and clouds. still good stuff though. gerry nunn kills it so does lyman and basically everybody else.
Old    K.B.C.            02-09-2007, 12:05 PM Reply   
like Such is Life, but would also agree they went a little overboard on some of cinamatography and "artsy" stuff.
Old     (quickpilot1010)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
Innuendo was good, have to agree with Garret, i though colins section was pretty boring, i think he did one flip in the entire section, overall good movie tho and def worth buying, about 40 min
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
such is life is awesome... loved it
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-10-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
the artsy stuff is what makes the video... such is life, best video so far in the wake industry.
Old    kc700            02-10-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
im with kaesen.....sidewayz pushed the boundaries of conventional action sports films by doing something new and different. I think it was a breath of fresh air in an industry that has become oversaturated with standard safe videos. And you have to look at the film as a whole. THeres no randomness to the timelapse and artistic cinematography. It was a theme that they held throughout the video. When people do things that are unconventional, they encounter the standard amount of haters....this is no different.
Old    K.B.C.            02-10-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
not hating, I do like the video. I also like some of the stuff there are just times when it is too much, IMO
Old     (damned04)      Join Date: May 2005       02-10-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
Bent Felix FTW!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-10-2007, 10:20 PM Reply   
Wow. Ok, Kyle, while I agree with you that Such is Life is a step in the right direction content-wise, I still think some of the extra content could have been slimmed down for a little neater presentation. This does not make me a "standard hater," (what that is supposed to mean, i really have no idea) because I actually REALLY liked parts of the film, even most of the artistic stuff. However, just because a film does something different than any other film does not automatically make it infallible...there are both good and bad parts to the film. One of my favorite parts is the section before Benny G's small part, with the people on the train...it was a really cool way to transition, as well as the part with the kid mowing the lawn cutting out from the sound of the winch. However, the part with the camera on the shack, with the people standing in front and the truck going by after 3 minutes of tonal drone was not my favorite part of the film.

So, in response, I looked at the film as a whole, and saw things I liked and didn't like, just like any other vid. Still think I'm a "standard hater?"

By the way, I really feel like the best film so far in the industry was the Truth - not for the riding, or the slowcam, but the editing was just phenomenal.
Old    kc700            02-11-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
Garret...when i refer to "haters" i am making a reference to the vast wasteland of close minded action sports "officiandos" who think that there is a set formula for vids and bash anything that strays from the comfortable norm....Now as far as "standard haters?" i dont recall ever saying that....I believe my comment was using the word "standard" as an adjective for the amount of haters. I read you comment and was responding to your statement of "I find myself staring at the wing of an airplane or the front of a shed for 45 seconds, its just not cool anymore." but i dont recall ever referencing you personally as a "standard hater" ....I was trying to put a different perspective out there for the hundreds of people that probably see it just like you, but think that of the entire film, and not just one scene like you noted. Secondly, yes i agree with you, the truth was phenomenal, but doesnt get my vote for the best yet, which reiterates the fact that movies (and most art forms in general) are subjective....its all just opinions..no one is really right or wrong....