Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old    walt            12-02-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
This sounds like a great concept. I can't wait to check it out.
http://thestanderdquarterly.com/
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-03-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
looks pretty cool, those would have to be pretty thick dont ya think...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-03-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
Ineresting. I hope they truely keep the adds to a minimum. If they do, I'll subscribe.
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-03-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
Looks awsome kind of like Rodders Journal great for the table top looking forward to the first issue.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-03-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
Hmm,im on the fence with this new book

if it comes out evey three months ,a lot of the news is going to be very old and with the internet ad TV it seems quarterly mags in any sport is reitterating old news ..

this book is almost three times the yearly cost of te current wake mags and it comes out only four times a year..

If the pics are insane and theres a lot of fresh news,interviews and insights into new boats and equipment then i am mildly interested..

It would be nice to have REAL unbiased in depth boat and equipment reviews NOT swayed by advertising..

i guess ill hold out final judgement until it comes out...
Old     (jsimpson7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-03-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
i like the idea....It might bring a fresh new perspective..
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-03-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
Bill, you bring up some very pressing points.

I think that if they have any perspective on the market and wake mag industry they must assess these issues. If they are to be truly unbiased should they not have a slur of advertisements? The main source of revenue for mags is surely attributed to advertisements. The increased price could be attributed to this situation.

Would you be willing to pay the extra buck for an unbiased mag?

(you may be able to tell that I am doing industry analization/case analasis for a management class right now...)
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-03-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
That's the whole deal with the mag. There are going to be way less ads, and it's going to photo heavy. It's going to be a lot more artistic, and a lot less crap. I don't think news and product reviews are the main focus here. I think it will be more of a coffee table book. You can't really have two better guys than Meddock and Letchworth either.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-03-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
If you guys have seen any of the photographic journals (of sorts) in the other industries, like frequency in snowboarding, and I believe the snowboard journal is another (the one that's headed up by former pro jason ford), that's what these two are aiming for.

If you're a fan of the art and you want to see something more focused with less distractions, then you'll love this periodical.

And realistically, compiling an issue of photographs from the past three months is hardly dated. If you look at the photo issue from alliance, there are photos in there that are way older than three months. three months is actually an impressive turn-around time.

hey, let me say three months once more, just becuase I don't feel like I said those two words enough.

three months?

immediate subscriber right here.

(Message edited by electricsnow on December 03, 2006)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-04-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
well i hope its more then just photos ,i would like a mag that had lots of up to date reviews on boats,wakes and equipment ..

also i would hope its packed with break downs from pros on little things on how to finally stomp a new trick with a little secrets from the pros..

id hope it included interviews of pros and up and coming riders along with bios that included their REAL setups on weighting their boats and rope legnth and speed they ride at..

things like this with badazz pcs would make a sweet source with limited ads i would subscribe for sure ..

however if its a bunch of pics every issue and not much else i night buy ONE issue just to have it..

anyway thats my two cents
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-04-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
I'd be stoked on an all photo mag, I'm really looking forward to the standerd. There are so many low quality wake images out there it will be nice to see a collection of quality work. Which, if I understand it correctly, is what they are going for. And as said before, there are no two photographers more qualified than meddock and letchworth. Super stoked, can't wait to see the first issue.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-04-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   

quote:

There are so many low quality wake images out there

are you talking about images in current mags, wbm and alliance? there are photogs that contribute in current mags that post in here.
Old    xtremebordgurl            12-04-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to make a personal attack on photographers in the industry, cause there are a lot of quality images as well, my point is that it will be nice to see all the good stuff in one place. Maybe I am diging myself a grave... a lot of the images that we see in magazines are more of a photojournalistic style, which is cool cause it documents whats happening at events and so forth and it defenitly has its place.

The only problem with that, is if its a nasty dark gray day and the sky gets all washed out, well there's nothing anyone can really do about that, it was the day. You could have perfect exposure a shallow depth of field and the rider on that nasty gray background is still not going to look as interesting as if it were a brilliant sunset with a variety of colors and tones. But because a lot of the mags that are out there are driven by whats happening in the wake news those are a lot of the images we see, which still has its place and it can still be really cool to look at.

Also though, all the mags dedicate a section to just quality images, the ones taken on the off day with the cool sunset or the lights setup at night, the different filters and gels, etc. the more creative stuff. Its that more creative stuff that I think the Standerd will be made of. Not just the shots from the boat at comps or that sort of thing, ya know? Again, I don't mean to offend anyone, or say that anyone is a bad photographer, does that make a little more sense? Maybe I should have said "creative" work instead of "quality" work. Also maybe I should have been more clear in my original post...
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-04-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
I've got a copy of the premiere issue of The Standerd right in front of me. I think it's a very good thing for the industry!

Bill-
If you're hoping for up to date equipment reviews and current news, I don't think you'll find them in The Standerd. I can't speak for the creators of it, obviously, so this is all just my take. The point of this new publication isn't to promote a person, a boat, or gear... but rather to focus on the art, style and feeling of wakeboarding. I see it as more about the past, and less about the immediate future. You won't find an image or sequence of a trick in The Standerd that was thrown in because it's the only known shot of that trick...but you will find images that are chosen because they're unique, artistic, and powerful.

Every publication out there currently caters to a different market segment. Alliance and WakeBoarding Mag clearly are not designed for the exact same market. This site is pretty different from the other site. There are endless discussions about whether Alliance or WBM is better, or if this site is better than the other site. They're made for different audiences. I don't think The Standerd is at all trying to appeal to the weekend warrior crowd, or the family that has more fun tubing than wakeboarding. It's designed for all of the people on this messageboard. People who are neck-deep in the sport... people who recognize the differences between a 3-stage or continuous rocker. It's made for people who love a butter session around sunrise...not so much for someone who wakeboarded once 5 years ago at summer camp but is looking for something to read on an airplane.

If you're looking for the latest news, the current magazines and websites are a good choice. If you're looking for something with a different focus, maybe you'll prefer The Standerd.

I think Travis and Electricsnow hit the mark.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-04-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
...can't wait for April 1st.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-04-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
Mike's totally right. they're gearing this at the true fans of the art (both wakeskate and wakeboard). it's more expensive, but the paper will be of a higher quality, there will be less advertising (read: less distractions) and it's a place for some of the high quality shots that don't necessarily fit in with what our current magazines are looking for. Ultimately, it's supposed to be very appealing to the eye.

And with the price and quality comes a periodical that you'll want to keep and respect, and not something that you'll "read on the john" and then toss in a corner some where.

Righteous.