Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-04-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
I'm just curious at what hour mark have you guys had steering cables break?

I was out yesterday and my cable broke at 98 hours. I thought that was a bit soon, but it's under warranty, so this is probably actually a good thing.

It's an 04 (Oct 03 Manufacture date) that I bought new in Sept 05 with 2 hours on it.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-04-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Craig,

My cable didn't break, but at the beginning of this season it got very tight. I disconnected the rudder and it was still tight. I'm expecting the replacment thru shipstore any day ($140.00). The boat is a 2000 Centurion, the cable was a Teleflex ssc13418 manufacturred in 1999.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-04-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
We had the same problem. I am now replacing one that broke a year ago. So this will be the second one I changed. If you dont seal it right, water can get in the cable and it will rust. 98 hours is quick. Ours broke around 700-800 and now at 950 (because we didnt seal it properly). Good thing its under warranty.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-05-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
mine went out( getting very tight) around 120 hours. but on an old prostar it finally broke after about 1200 hours.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-05-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
I doubt that there is a typical life as there are too many variables. I used to have a tournament ski boat that had been in the family for ~ 20 years and still had its original steering cable.

There are several things that will hasten the deterioration of the steering and control cables.

1) Bending too tight of a turn. Slow, gentle turns are best. Unfortunately, the helm station is off to one side and the steering cable exits pointed right at the hull so it has to make an immediate turn. If the shape of the dash, the side and the placement of the throttle lever made routing the steering cable more difficult then it could end up turning too sharp.

2) Water: The rudder end of the steering cable usually attaches fairly low in the boat. If the bilge is usually full of water the end of the cable could be submerged and water could migrate into the cable causing corrosion.

3) Jacket damage: I have seen situations where a fan belt rubbed against the cable, or the cable rested against the engine and just vibration caused the jacket to wear through. I have also seen cases where someone working on the boat managed to step on the cable where it passed between stringers and cause damage. Even a small break in the jacket will allow water to get inside and cause corrosion.

If you can get to the rudder then replacing the cable generally isn't too difficult.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-05-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
Mine needed to be replaced at 120 hrs. ( 3 yrs old ).
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-05-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
Never replaced... 1300 Hrs.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-05-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
original at almost 900 hrs :-)
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-06-2006, 1:18 PM Reply   
Leo and all, How do you seal a steering cable? Aren't they factory sealed?

Bruce
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-06-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
Mine wasn't even stiff to turn. it just broke.
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-07-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
720 hours and mine is stiff, but im trying to hold out untill next year
Old     (yoshihiro)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-07-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
It has not exchanged it for 2800 hrs.(2000 Sanger)
It has become heavy recently.