Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (t67supra)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
First off, hello to everyone on the board, I have been reading this board alot lately but havent been a member to now. I am looking into purchasing a 2007 Tige 24Ve hopefully this winter but another boat has fallen into my lap. I have the chance to purchase a 1991 Supra with 600hrs on it, the boat is in great condition with fat sacs and a tower. The only dilema is that the engine knocks but still runs so it will obviously need a little work but the price is very low and I know the guy. I plan on using the boat for a couple of months while I am waiting on my new one but only if I can make a profit off of it. My question is what price range, roughly, would I be looking at if it is a rod or if it is a push rod? Also what do 1991 Supras sell for that are in great condition, besides the engine problem the boat is in excellent condition. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-06-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
ive never seen a boat you turn a profit on
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-06-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
I have done on my last 3. You just need to know when to buy and sell
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       09-06-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
I broke even on my first boat and made about 3k on my second boat...the first was an 88 inboard the second was a 96 inboard...it can be done.but I wouldn't take a chane on a 91 w/ engine trouble.
Old     (t67supra)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2006, 9:05 PM Reply   
Making a profit off of a boat is definately possible, besides I am a car dealer so I have lots of experience with buying and selling but just dont know a whole lot about boats. I bought a 1994 Malibu a few months ago, actually back in February, for 6k and sold it for 11k on ebay to someone in Connecticut. The Supra is a 1991 with tons a fat sacs and a new monster tower with tower speakers and lights and many other stereo upgrades. Also it is a Mariah with 650hrs on it and I can pick it up for 5k, also includes a tandem trailer. I am going to pick the boat up this week and take it to a boat shop and have them go over the whole boat before I purchase.
Old     (t67supra)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
Also the bought will be paid for in cash so it won't bother me if I have to hold it till March or so, besides I most likely won't get my 07' till then and would like to have a boat in the meantime.
Old     (t67supra)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-07-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
No one knows about the cost of the engine repairs???
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-07-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
There are too many variables for anyone to be able to tell you what the cost of the engine repairs might be.

A rod knock is generally pretty serious. You are talking complete engine tear down and rebuild. While you have it apart it would be foolish not to rebuild the heads at the same time.

The biggest single cost will be labor, and the cost of labor will vary region to region and shop to shop. If I was to take a guess I would guess $4k to $6k.