Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old    gzlueez            09-01-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
We're in the process of picking up a new boat. At this time we're torn between Mastercraft's X-45 & Malibu's 247. Looking for anyone's input between the two boats.

Thanks!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-01-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
What are you looking for in a boat? Personally, I would go with the 45, but that is stickly because I like the way it looks, and the storage is a little better IMO. They both throw great wakes, and both are built about the same as far as durability goes.
Old    gzlueez            09-01-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   
We're looking all around, performance, reliability, maintenance & wake. Thanks!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-01-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
There was a long thread about the same 2 boats 3-4 months ago.I 'm sure if you do a search you will score....
Old     (wallyworld)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-01-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
malibu or mastercraft???

thats like deciding which fat girl to bang!!!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-01-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
i like how large the cockpit is in the 247. the bow is too long on the x-45. from my experiences, no one like to ride in the bow anyways, the girls[i've ridden with] don't like it because it messes up their hair by the time we get to the sandbar.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-01-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-01-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
Two words "Drive them" then you will see the difference..
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
Well well... you're talking to a guy who just bought a 2007 x-45, so I'm partial to MC. I spent a good bit of time in the boats at showrooms and demo days at the lake. Have the dealers take you out on the lake. Same lake at that. Tell them straight up which boats you're looking at so they know you're serious.

I spent time with Tige, Bu, and MC. I took the x-45 for several reasons. A few that stuck out to me the most were the dealership and service of the shop (sooo important), storage, styling, surf wake, and feel (which only YOU can tell if you drive them both). Wakes are comparable. They're both huge, and you won't even need them as big as they can go (most likely). The stock surf wake on the x-45 was way more fun and bigger than the 247.

If price is an important factor, you will be better initially with a Malibu. However, MC's hold their value better in the long run so you wont lose as much upon re-sale. I paid $102,000 for my boat without state taxes. Ouch. Mind you it has every option they have, but that is still a hefty price tag for what is out there. I think a 247 loaded to the 9's is around 90k.

Either way, I feel strongly that you're going to love your next purchase. You're going straight to the head of the class for towboats. Take them out for test drives and then you'll know.

PS - The bow in the X-45 is amazing. YOu can load people from that end, and a grown man can fully sprawl out and go to sleep in one side of the bow. It's huge. And girls and moms love being upfront.

Good luck with your decision, and be sure to prepare your bank account.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       09-01-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
It's Ground Hog Day AGAIN?????????
Old     (mcmike)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-05-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
Girls don't like the front of the X-45???Upload
Old     (waterzomby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-05-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
Nice Mike!!! I knew I should have gone with you guys!!
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-05-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
ben,

102k? ouch. granted, if i could---i might ;).

mike,

well, in that sense, yes, they love it.
Old     (mcx2ryd)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-05-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
LMFAO......
Old    ilovetrains            09-06-2006, 9:22 AM Reply   
Honestly, you are going to get a lot of smart a$$ comments from people here who just want to argue MC vs. Bu. Test drive both to get the feel of what you like.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
Mike for President!!! I love that; girls do love the bow. I don't pick my 45 up until two weeks, which I'm eagerly waiting for....
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-06-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
I was in your exact spot earlier in the spring. I drove them both, same lake, one right after another, and that really helped make my decision. They both have great features. Here is the link to my thread, it got long, it got a little heated at times, but I have absolutely no regrets. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/279570.html?1141623227
I am not sure about the x-45 surf wake, but the 247 surf wake is so easy to set up and it's killer. I ordered my 247 with the exact options I wanted, 4 ballast tanks, 5 outlet heater, etc., and the price was in the low 70's. I did the entire stereo after market, which I would do again any day. You'll get exactly what you want that way. It probably ended up being close to 10k, but is so much better than factory. Good luck with your decision.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-06-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
oh, and Ben is right, the bow on the X45 is huge, I think it has its own HIN. On the flip side, the cockpit area on the 247 has no equal. We ride a lot in the mornings and with the cold air, we don't even take our bow cover off.
Old     (mcmike)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
I too was in the exact same situation as Festivus. I demo'd both the same day, same lake, right after another. I was thoroughly impressed with the MC. We had three different people on the boat who at one point owned MC, Malibu and Calabria. Everyone chose the MC. I think the wake is outstanding; the boat alone weighs almost 5000lbs, while the 247 I believe weighs in somewhere around 3700lbs. You will not need any ballast in the X-45 (I have had VERY experienced riders tell me this--Malibu owners at that). My price was 85k--fully loaded, 8.1L, JL system with 4 tower speakers, lights, heater, shower, trim plate, etc, etc. I too thought that no one would sit up front in the MC, but see above. Good luck. Both boats are great!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-06-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   

Ben got screwed at 102K!
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-06-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
The X45 I was looking at was a boat show special-- I think it ws 73k, not fully loaded, but it did have a lot of stuff on it. Pictures of it are in that link above. Also, the MC dealer here likes to pick all of the colors and junk on his boats, and I wanted to order what I wanted. After all, I figured I was paying for it.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
Well, the 2007 prices jumped 7% from 2006 with all dealerships. THat didn't help my situation. I have everything on there though: from auto flag to those $350 covers on the all the speakers. Plus, added 3 12" JL audios and a whole host of other stereo equipment.

THe only deals I got really were on service and a huge one on accessories. Still, expensive boat. I would take it over the 247 I priced at 90k. The differnce for me wasn't the 10k, it was the nominal $100 per month that I justified it.