Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
Does anybody ride Parks? Positives/negatives? Is there really such a thing as too much pop? Also would the Parks model help compensate for a slightly smaller wake?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-04-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
It really is a love it or hate it board and you ought to demo it a few times before you decide. I loved my 03. I have one friend who can't do more than go w2w heelside. I got a new board and he wanted to try out my '03 Parks. He loves it and has no problem keeping it steady and not doing rocket airs. Another buddy, who is better in some ways than the first, got on it and hated it. He was getting bucked all over the place.

I personally didn't care for the changes made after 04 but others love it.

I'd also say you should try the 3ds.
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-04-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
I don't chime in often, but I'm a big advocate of the parks board. I've had many beginning riders who could get w2w but without the pop: threw them in with my parks, and pop! I've had friends literally go striaght to the shop and buy a Parks after riding mine once. I have had some riders not like the board at all, and they are usually the intermediate riders that normally ride a board with continuous rocker. I would recommend purchasing like a 02 or 03 Byerly and get use to that board before purchasing a Parks: you can find them on Ebay cheap.

Ken Land
Bullet Ski Lines
www.bulletlines.com
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-04-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
I don't think there is such a thing as too much pop, but the Parks pops differently. I personally don't like that rocker line and will explain why.

The rail is kinked, and has a flat spot in it. The most fun shapes that I have ridden have a big flat spot in the center hull of the board, but the rail is still continuous for the most part. I've found that with a somewhat continuous rail, the board rolls on edge smoother, and the feeling of the pop is more floaty, rather than a straight up and straight down flight. Am I making any sense?

I also like the feeling of having to work a little bit to put the board on edge, I want to know that I'm putting the board on edge, rather than the board just falling on edge and taking off on me.

It's all preference.

I also personally think that a 3-stage board works well with a big steep wake, and a continuous board works better with a mellower smaller wake.

The trade-off from a 3-stage to a continuous is pop vs. consistency.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-05-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
very well put Thane..
I just went from a 04 parks to the 06 watson.
I sacrificed some pop for softer landings and
a more consistent ride.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       08-05-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   

quote:

would the Parks model help compensate for a slightly smaller wake?

No, proper edge and pop is 95% rider, 5% board (if that). I think the main problem with the Parks board is that it is not forgiving. You have to be on your A-game every time you hit the wake, or you will get bucked. If you're willing to spend a little time figuring out the board, the parks is a lot of fun, but if you're still learning, I would probably suggest starting out with something a bit more forgiving to build consistency in your riding.

-Steve
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-05-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
Makes perfect sense Thane. Thanks everyone. I think I may hold off on the parks until I get a little better. I would love to try it though to see how it bucks...when I envision it, I can picture being like hitting a doubleup slightly wrong...not a good vision...

I just ordered my ERA, so hopefully I will have a good comment to write soon about it... I guess anything should be better than my Greg Nelson Double Up that I currently ride
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-05-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
that double-up nelson model has a great reputation, but the Era is a good all-around shape too.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-05-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
I guess I don't know board all that well. I didn't realize the Nelson board was still around. Mine is from mid-late 90s, so the ERA should be a huge improvement to the old-school model.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-06-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
I've been riding my 05 Parks for the past two years non-stop, and recently during a clinic on a vacation I rode a State. I never really realized how much of a difference the shapes of a board can make in how a board reacts. I was so used to edging and popping straight up with the Parks that the State felt like I was edging right through the wake. Just a different feel, but I will say that my toeside improved after hitting the State. Im looking for something new for next season, a slightly bigger board... any comments about going to an Absolute from a Parks???
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-06-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
Absolute vs. Parks in my opinion:
Absolute lands a lot softer, but is a much slower board (slowest I've ever been on). I'm not sure if too many people will agree with me but I think the new absolute shape actually bucks more than my 04 Parks, maybe its just not being used to the rocker shape...
The 05 parks is faster than the 04, but I think the pop on both boards is similar...

I never really understood why it seems like so many people bash the parks board, yet so many people ride the Absolute, especially on this site... If at all possible, demo before you buy, it's definately the best way to find out what kind of board you like.