Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old    skidemon4            12-02-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
hey, im getting married on new year's eve and i want to have a wakeboarding cake at our wedding. has anybody else ever done this or have any ideas for what to tell my cake maker to do???
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
you want to have a wakeboarding cake at your wedding? and the soon-to-be-wife is goin' for it?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-02-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
HAHA...I love it! But, this is one event where your love for wakeboarding shouldn't be on display.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   

quote:

But, this is one event where your love for wakeboarding shouldn't be on display.

bingo.
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-02-2004, 11:00 AM Reply   
My grooms cake was pretty killer, but it wasn't wake related..They replicated Jr's #8 Car and did a really good job..I am sure they can make the cake in any shape you want (board, boat, rope and handle, etc).

However, instead of leaving the reception in a limo, we left in a Wakesetter. The reception was at a Country Club on the Bayou!

McFly
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-02-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
He is getting married on New Years Eve so it's already not your traditional wedding I guess...go for it.

That would be cool to have a bottom cake that has blue icing like a lake with a couple plastic sliders and a boathouse for the second tier with a plastic boat hanging in it. It'll be a challenge, but sounds good in theory (I can almost picture it, lol).
Old    skidemon4            12-02-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
yeah, im pretty lucky it was actually her idea to do something like that. we always talked about doing it at the lake and wakeboarding away after the reception, but it just worked that its going to happen on new years eve and the water gets a little chilly during tennessee winter's. i tried to come up with a way that we could form the cake into a board but the decorator doesn't think that it would resemble it very much. so we were thinking about having some kind of figures on top of the cake, but we don't really have any good ideas yet. we'd appreciate any good/funny ideas.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-02-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
Joe and J-Rod,

Isn't it sort of traditional for the groom's cake to be kind of "cheesy" or irreverent? I think the majority that I have seen have had some sort of theme like cars, boats, sports, alma maters, etc. It's the one concession to the man's taste, amid all the frilly nonsense.
Old    bobbymucic            12-02-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
Have a naked barbie doll jumping out of it.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-02-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
I've been at weddings where they had two cakes also. One traditional and then the "grooms" cake.

At one wedding the guy was a golf nut and the "grooms" cake had to do with golf. You could always get a plastic 210 or X-star and they can incorporate it to whatever you decide to do.
Old     (stephaneeee)      Join Date: May 2002       12-02-2004, 7:23 PM Reply   
Back in the day, I used to do wedding cakes on the side. Did a lot, but this is my all time favorite.

The bride wanted the usual foo foo stuff - pastel colors, flowers, crystal - she wanted it to be very elegant. The groom wanted something to do with him. He wanted funny, a little twisted, something different. It was funny watching them fight about the cake. They almost came to blows. So I said maybe we could compromise....

I asked him what he wanted to convey in the cake. He wanted his "couch potato" buddies on it somewhere. So I made the cake - all foo foo like she wanted - flowers, crystal staircases, a fountain underneath the main cake. But on the smaller satellite cake, I made up a little scene of the "couch potato" buddies drinking beer, drunk as hell, watching football and waving goodbye to the groom who was heading up the crystal stairway to his soon-to-be wife. He loved it! Everybody loved it, even the bride. She got what she wanted, and he got something out of the very expensive wedding cake. He even could keep the little mini couch potato dudes afterwards.

Here's some pics. Sorry for the quality, but had to scan them in.

Just goes to show you....marriage is ALL about compromise.
Wedding cake Close up Couch potatoes
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-03-2004, 5:12 AM Reply   
I will jump out of your cake wearing only my boardshorts.
Old    skidemon4            12-03-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
uh, no thanks....im guessing that with a name like mango that your probally not exactly what i invisioned popping out of my cake.
Old    waterdog2            12-03-2004, 6:54 PM Reply   
You could put one of those SAN 210 mini R/c boats they sell at barts or overtons on top with A fat wake in the iceing
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-07-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
Get a normal a$$ cake.....in 10 years when you look back on your cake....your kids will be like....what the hell. It is like having a Waterski cake.

Not to mention you better get on the ball, orders need to be in way in advance.
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       12-08-2004, 7:12 AM Reply   
I have seen cakes, (not at weddings but I am sure it can be done) that have a picture of some sort on it. Throw a picture of you wakeboarding on it or something of that sort.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-08-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
one of my buddies had his be a wakeboard boat. It was a green/white nautique. I think the cake-maker modeled it after an RC boat but made it a little bigger. It was amazing how good it looked. plus we wakeboarded the day of the wedding, it was at a bed and breakfast place on a river. the groom was trying stuff he had never tried. makes me wonder if he was trying to get hurt so we wouldn't have to go through with it...?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-08-2004, 1:49 PM Reply   
I can see it now...your guests will want to know why that fishing boat has all those colors on it and what is that guy doing holding on to a rope fishing so far behind the boat.
It may sound ridiculous but I bet it will happen. Good luck w/ the cake!