Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-28-2004, 1:06 PM Reply   
Which boat do you think is the better wakeboarding boat? Im was planning on going down to pick up a 02 cal air pro v loaded with everything. There is also a 02 Centurion Avalanche pretty loaded also. The Pro V only has 10 hours on it while the Avalanche has around 60. Both are within a couple grand of each other. Im leaning toward the Pro V but the Avalanche does look pretty sweet the more I look at it. Anyone have anyting they can tell me?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-28-2004, 2:42 PM Reply   
I have driven a Pro V that was really weighted down for a double up contest, and all I can say was that it cavitated VERY badly in a turn. And I'm not talkin a steep turn but only about a quarter turn on the steering wheel. Plus, don't forget that its a much bigger boat, and will require much more weight to get it to sit lower in the water to produce a bigger wake. With that you get more strain on the motor, and more fuel consumption. I would go with the Avalanche. Just my two cents.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-28-2004, 5:00 PM Reply   
I would ride behind both, then make the decision. Basing your purchase on how cool the boat looks could set you up for disappointment when it comes time to ride. I agree that the Centurion looks cool.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-29-2004, 6:10 AM Reply   
Definitly the Centurion....
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-29-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
Both are excellent choices. Drive and ride both. Look at the condition of the boats and try to figure out which one was cared for the best.

I haven't ridden behind the Avalanche, but I have ridden behind an ENZO.

I am a former Pro-V owner. I love the Pro-V and the deal you are getting is excellent, but make sure you have a mechanie look at the engine. With only 10 hours, I don't know that the engine is even broken in yet, you may have to break it in.

As for the cavitating decision of the Pro-V, it could be two things Brandon was experiencing, the wrong prop or improper weighting. Here is a decision on weighting the Pro-V.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/196489.html?1098886168
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-29-2004, 4:13 PM Reply   
Laci glad to hear the guy stepped up and bought your boat. Are u gonna invest in another one?

Dan
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-29-2004, 4:31 PM Reply   
Gotta get the house deal through first, then I probably will (hopefully sooner rather than later). I am crying without a boat. It sucks, but at least I have made some great friends who are pretty hard core and still going out. They are usually willing to take me along as their third.

And if all else fails and the weather sucks, there is always Whistler to go snowboard and play at until the weather gets better.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-01-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
Laci....Look at the bright side: buy a house, get an equity line, buy a boat and use it as a tax write off. There are certain parts of the system I like. He, he.

Anyway.... I think the Calabria is the better boat of the two. I've ridden behind some wicked pro-v's and the only problem was getting the boat us to speed with 12 guys, factory ballast and 2 600 sacs on the floor. Under any other circumstances I think it may be ok, but I'd go for a motor upgrade to whatever is available if you were buying new.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-01-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
Evan is right. Make your boat loan tax deductable. Or use the big tax return as a down payment.

I personally can't stand the Centurion wake. That's why I'm saying ride behind both and make sure you can.

Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-01-2004, 3:19 PM Reply   
Evan and J-Rod - That is what I am thinking....exactly. But I am not sure about buying a house by myself, if the boat will come quickly, it may take some time to get used to that size payment each month.

Also not sure if I will get a brand new Pro-V or a smaller boat. I found I didn't use all that space except for once the whole summer, so I may look for a smaller boat, 21 max probably. Let me tell you though, if you want a big boat with lots of room for people and gear, the Pro-V is the ONLY way to go. After you get in the Pro-V, every other boat will be really small.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-01-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
Laci, when I was up in Portland checking out the new ones, I couldn't believe the room in them. It's a total party boat. Ive been checking reviews on both boats and the Pro V Just seems to win. I talked to the guy who onwns it yesterday and I am going to pick it up after Christmas. I am waiting for my fourplex to close on the 17th it's driving me crazy playing the waiting game. Even though it's winter this wil be my first boat and I am like a little kid on Christmas.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-02-2004, 1:07 PM Reply   
The space is definitely nice in the big boats, but if you don't need it you'll be able to weight a small boat more easily and achieve similar results while getting more engine performance and better gas mileage. I highly recomend Sangers for small boats if they are available up there.

Gotta say, though, when it comes time to really throw a huge wake there is no substitute for the size of the boat. A small boat wont take a 10 person crew and 3000 pounds of weight. I guess that's why they make boats of all sizes.

Good luck to all with their boat searches.

Laci, yeah it was kinda tough to get used to that payment every month but it'll bet the best thing you ever did. It gives you so much leverage for future decisions. I was lucky enough to have some rooms to rent out to friends for the first year so I could have the time to get used to it.

(Message edited by guido on December 02, 2004)
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-02-2004, 5:27 PM Reply   
Laci, Evan is right on. about 5 years ago I bought a fourplex for 180000 it has been rough with people moving in an d out and thinkgs needing to be fixed ( I am so not a fix it guy) But I close on the 17th of this month and sold it for 317000. Real estate is the bomb. Thats how Im buying my new boat. It may seem tough now, but the years go by and pretty soon you are sitting on a small fortune.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   
Daniel is right ,time passes anyway and before you know it few years passed and you reevaluate your situation and come to find out buying realestate is the safest and it definetly worked for me. IT'S HARD TO GO WRONG WITH REALESTATE!!