Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    mhunt            10-31-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
The shipping company we talked to said the containers are 7'8" wide. Even if I take the fenders off and put smaller wheels/tires on the trailer it would still be at least 96". The boat is a sport nautique. Anyone from overseas done this? How did you do it? Are some of the shipping containers a little wider?
Thanks for the help
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-01-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
It does not need to go in a shipping container. You can ship it on its trailer break-bulk or as rolling stock on a car carrier. You have some fuel and engine oil restrictions, but it is not hard. I suggest a very good shrink wrap job and a tongue stand so the trailer jack does not collapse. The boat should also be strapped to the trailer with strong enough straps so it can hang upside down. It may not seem possible, but I have seen the results of a bulldozer breaking free and exiting a ship when the ship heeled over in a storm. Big hole in the hull. Upper deck, thankfully.

Find a car carrier that carries whatever brand from your portion of the world and book a return voyage. Many have break-bulk rates for the return trip.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-01-2004, 5:06 PM Reply   
Take the tires off and just leave the hubs on roll it in on the rotors, it is a tight fit but should work, remember the rubrail is replaceable, you just don't want alot of pressure on the fiberglass. Best of luck, not all cargo ships will allow top cargo
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-06-2004, 4:10 PM Reply   
Where are you shipping to? I just sent a boat from Long Beach to Australia and it was the company I delt with was extremely easy to deal with. I just dropped it and they took it from there. I believe it was MB crating out of Long Beach CA
Old    doogs            11-07-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
Hey Surfside Dan how much did it cost you to ship over here and what extra tax, duty etc did you have to pay? Have been thinking of doing the same just havent done enough investigating yet!
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-08-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
The buyer had that all lined up, but I do know that things were much cheaper to get the boat in the states. If you're going to Australia let me know and I'll shoot this guy an email. I know that shipping the boat was $1800 from Long Beach to AU. It was a small 18 footer.