Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (wake2wake103)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-02-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
I was at wrestling practice last night and a broke my ankle/growth plate. Now I am tring to figure out how long i will be off the lake. Anyone have any experience with a fractured ankle or groth plate. When it does heal what are the chances of reoccurences?
Thanks,
Daniel
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-02-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
i fractured my ankle in 7th grade, it took about 6 weeks for it to completely heal. A long time yes, but make sure you get it all better, you dont want a recuring injury. My doc gave me an aircast, it was awesome, cept for having a fructured ankle, cause u could take it off, even though it did not bug me too much.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       11-02-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
I broke my ankle recently. All I have to say is follow your doctors advice and rest it. Its been about 8 weeks for me and I just started riding agin last week. any kind of physical activity makes it swell a little and it will be sore the next day. The doctor says I've got 40% strength in it. he said you only need 10% to walk on it. He said I should be 100% by the spring:-( The dr. said b/c you are constantly on the ankle all the time it takes longer to heal. Resist all temptations to get on a board. It's very frustrating, but you don't want it to heal improperly. I can still feel it being a little weak. All I'm doing now is praticing W2W, riding switch, and board control.
Old    aram            11-02-2004, 3:21 PM Reply   
I had the exact same injury in a car accident right after I graduated from high school. I can't tell you how important it is to rest it and wear the cast. After about two weeks I stopped walking with the air cast, and that was the worst mistake I could have made. A year later I was having major pain that almost required surgery. I basically had to stop skateboarding, snowboarding, and playing raquetball for over a year. It's now more than ten years later and my ankle still aches. Just follow your doctor's advice and you should be ready to go for next season.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-02-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
Daniel, my son broke his leg at the distal end of the tibia (right at the growth plate) in July. He was in a splint for 2 weeks, and a cast for 4 weeks. The most important thing is that you listen to your doctor, and your mother! RICE...rest, ice, compression, elevation. Very important. Do not push it, and you will get out of the cast quicker. Ask your doc about calcium supplements also, our doc recommended it, and I think it may have helped, and it couldn't hurt.
I haven't let him put bindings on yet (he was boarding when he got hurt), but he has been wakeskating and gets up on his board and mine without bindings, just skate shoes.
Take it easy, and it will be better in plenty of time for next season.