Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    sbvfive            07-02-2004, 6:32 AM Reply   
Aliright, I know someone has a Pro V.....I am not looking to start a boat war. I am interested in the Pure Vert Ballast System on these boats. The website says it fills in 1 minute and drains in 15 seconds. Can anyone verify. And without pumps, how does it work?
Old    swpmwinc            07-02-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
Yes it is true the ballast fills in less than a minute NO PUMPS!!! there are 2 3" gate valves on the transom that open and the water floods in then you close the valves ballast is full that simple. To empty you open the valves give the boat gas and gravity takes over 15 seconds water is gone close the valves ballast empty. We are on our second Pro-V love the boat have nothing bad to say about the boat or the company.
Old    sbvfive            07-02-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
Thanks xxxl. I saw that the ballast is only 700 lbs. What else do you run for ballst. How much weight, and how many people??
Old    swpmwinc            07-02-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
The ballast is 750 lbs and the fuel tank is 65 gallons we keep it as full as we can about 550lbs I have about 900lbs of stereo equipment in the boat so I will run side sacs in the lockers and a 600lbs sac in the walk through. We dont run extra ballast all the time mostly only when 3-4 guys are on the boat.we usually have 7-8 people on the boat.
Old    kennethl            07-02-2004, 9:35 AM Reply   
I have an 04.. The ballast is fast and I'd say under 1 min about right to fill. I have switches that control each ballast tank independent of each other. It was a factory extra that I highly recomend.. Its great for wake surfing (pic attached) and allows the driver to adjust the wake on the fly if the boat is off balance.

Were pretty new to the sport but have lots of very expierenced friends who ride with us.. and 95% of the time we just run factory ballast with 3 or 4 people in the boat, on special occasions we will fill 2 - 300lbs in the side compartments and one time added another 500 in the walkway and it got really big.. too big for our intermediate riders.. everyone was getting pitched off early..guess its all really about technique.

I'll attempt to upload some pics so you can see the wake.. Factory Only} with 3-4 people in the boat(no heavy stereo's )

The wake surf pic is left factory ballast full /right factory MT, 500lbs in the left V-drive compartment and a 250 by the passengers seat.
surf

Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-02-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
Were some of these pics in winter? whats up with all of the long underwhear looking gear?
Old    oshensurfer            07-02-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
Dude. Those aren't intermediate pics.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-02-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
Sbvfive -

The pure vert system is pretty cool and is all true, but one issue is when you want to get one side of the wake bigger than the other, like for wakesurfing or when some wakeboarders like it bigger for doing inverts. In order to do that you need fat sacs or a brand new one with the option discussed above.

We only use fat sacs when wakesurfing.

The other issue is that it is a wide boat, so people recommend some lead in the back (which I haven't done) and make sure you have a full boat.

Calabria is a great manufacturer. I haven't heard too many good things about their dealers. The Seattle area dealer SUCKS. And the old Portland one went out of business, but the new one in Portland I have heard some good things about. The new Portland one is sponsoring Wet Wednesdays.

(Message edited by tcluv85 on July 02, 2004)
Old    kennethl            07-02-2004, 11:01 AM Reply   
That was early March -ish, they are only pics I could find on my work computer.

Long underwear is actually Dry Suits.. water temp was probibly around 47 degrees. We started the season in mid Feb thanks to the quick winterizing system on the engine...also highly recomend the heater if you live in a cooler climate.
Old    swpmwinc            07-02-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
Laci I have many friends that have bought boats from the Seattle dealer and have nothing but good things to say. Sorry that you experiance was not as good. You can add the second switch to your ballast system with out to much hassle.
It does help in balancing the boat.We also keep a couple of lead bars in the lockers for that. Easier to move than water and sometimes people;)
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-02-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
The better business bureau (BBB) and the attorney general are handling my issues with the dealer in Seattle. The BBB actually called the Attorney General and they called me asking questions. These things happen and thank goodness we have some help.

So nice to hear that NorCal dealers are good. I have two people down in that area looking at my boat. I have it for a really great price, I think. NADA with all the options says it should be 39K and I am asking 34K for it. I need to pay back the loan amount, so I am losing money no matter what.

The foolish dealer in Seattle had two other people who wanted it, but he has been quite rude to me and my family and friends. In fact, the Calabria Factory has stepped in and actually called him and caused him to act better for that moment. I am really looking to sell out of state and not allow him the opportunity to treat others this way.

I would buy another Calabria if I ever moved to NorCal though. Everyone loves my boat. The roomie aspect, the ballast system and the style. I am always getting rave reviews when people see it and get in it. Too bad the dealer had to be such an a**.

(Message edited by tcluv85 on July 02, 2004)
Old    swpmwinc            07-02-2004, 3:33 PM Reply   
Why are you selling your boat didn't you just get it?
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-02-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
TERRIBLE buying experience, so the boat has bad memories and stress associated with it and the house I have wanted for at least 2 years, the lady just passed away and the daughter mentioned she is willing to sell to me for a price that I can afford which would be a great investment.
Old    swpmwinc            07-02-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
Good luck on the house once again sorry about the bad experience. Buying a boat should be a good thing not a negative one. But I can say that I have had the bad experience myself but just not with a Calabria.
Later Sean
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       07-03-2004, 3:16 AM Reply   
The Pro-V was one of the boats on my short list to test before I purchased my last one and it's a great boat. I like the ballast system and it works well, but one thing it lacked was versatility compared to some of the other systems out there. You can adjust it left to right, but front to rear is a little bit harder. Great boat, but just my thoughts.
Old    aircox            07-08-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
Laci, looks like the problem might not fall far from the tree. If I remember correctly you have had several bad boat buying problems.Is it really the dealer????????? I have heard nothing but great things from the Seattle Calabria dealer...... Sell the boat and buy from a private party!!!!!!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-08-2004, 10:07 PM Reply   
J.Cox - If you read above you will see that I am trying to sell it. Not just because of the dealer, but other reasons also. The dealer doesn't even know how much stock ballast is in these boats and how to use the ballast system. Not that it is hard to use, but he was clueless. David, from the Calabria factory, was awesome and helped out alot. I am only needing two more things from the dealer now and then I can be rid of him and continue to warn everyone about him.

After I get the house arranged, my next boat may be from a private dealer or a new Malibu from that awesome dealer.