Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (csparks13)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-10-2004, 4:01 PM Reply   
We are thinking about putting a wake plate on a 17' 77 Correct Craft closed bow. Will this increase the wake size? Im also looking for a swim deck to install but I havent found one yet. Any info will help out.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-10-2004, 5:33 PM Reply   
Ebay has swim decks, all teak ones for around $300. No sure on the wake plate
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-10-2004, 5:41 PM Reply   
If a wake plate is like TAPS, these devises only manipulate the shape of the wake by pushing down on the water raising the rear of the boat making the boat ride higher, flattening out the wake. The wedge on the other hand pulls the boat down lower in the water displacing more water hence producing a larger wake. IMO a wakeplate or "TAPS" is only good for what it was designed for.. Skiing!! ouch did I say that? I guess they help plane off quicker and compensate for a overloaded boat.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-10-2004, 7:47 PM Reply   
Wake plates definitely do not make the wake bigger. They can help shape the wake and maybe clean it up a little, but they'll also make it somewhat smaller when they're in the down position (they don't to anything when raised).

They also can help a heavily loaded boat plane faster and easier, and they're great for reducing porpoising.
Old    arrowride            05-10-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
With a wakeplate and some experimenting with wieght placement you should be able to improve the shape of a wake but, as people have said it will not make it bigger. I have seen it help alot with the shape though, steeper, rampier or a little more peak maybe. That has always been on boats that were supposedly designed to be used with it. Tige, Supra and Moomba's. Don't know what it would do on an older ski boat.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-11-2004, 8:26 PM Reply   
With boats that have a hull shape for it you MUST put it down for anything over 30mph or the boat porpoises. At wakeboard speeds it will change the boat angle from horizontal a bunch, with a lot of effect on wake shape and curl point. For traditional boats that have the hook in the hull I'd think you would put ballast more towards the back of the boat and like others said, use the wake plate the shape the weight.