Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-16-2004, 7:25 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,
I just got back from a trip around Vegas and Powell. We hung out in page for a day looking at property and heard some rumors from the locals that the lake is going down. I knew it was down but I hear its down 85' and still droping. Mead is 60' down.

We did not have the chance to get out on either lake but would hate to see them ( either one ) just a canyon by the time my kids get to enjoy them when they are on there own.

Any thoughs on this? Have any of you guys looked at property out that way?

Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       04-16-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
Powell is down 115 feet. With less than average snowpack, things are only going to get worse. Below is a link to the Lake Powell Database.

http://www.summittech.com/LakePowell/LP_WaterDB.php
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-16-2004, 7:57 PM Reply   
Yeah, it's not like it's being drained for any reason other than not enough water. Although if it were up to environmental groups like the Sierra Club the dam would be blown up and the "river set free".
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-16-2004, 9:06 PM Reply   
I'd be OK with blowing up the damn and setting the river free.

This is of course only if we can strap the entire Sierra Club to the base of the damn before it goes. That might be worth the sacrifice.
Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-16-2004, 11:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the Link. Good info there. Another aspect to this problem is Mead and the Hoover Dam. The Hoover Dams Electric generators are old. With the advances in power generation technology that is available today ( new generators ) it would seem that they could generate more power with less water flow through the Dam. It sounds like the historical groups don’t want the generators removed and updated?

Has anyone else heard this?
Old    k2rider            04-17-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Yeah, Powell is WAY down. We used to go every year but have skipped last year (and this year!) for other options. My dealer had seferal boats in from Powell last year for messed up struts, props ect...due to the low water levels. I was a little shocked because we've never had a problem there.

I read a story a few eeks back that it hasn't been this low since 1973 when they were actually in the process of filling the lake and the water was on the way UP. I've also read that at the current rate, the lake will be empty in 2007.
Old    dmpappy            04-17-2004, 1:36 PM Reply   
The water used to generate power at Mead is destin for So. Cal. WAY more water goes out of Mead than is necessary for power generation.

Point of fact, most of the water released downstream from the Colorado River is used to irrigate crops.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-17-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
even when the lake is full there are plenty of underwater hazards. All the bad publicity is good because it scares people away so there is more room for me :-)

although it definitely sucks walking from the parking lot to the dock, dont be pessimistic!
Old    tigejohn21i            04-17-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
I was at Mead this last weekend. It's down about 94-95'. I was told that with good snowpack etc, it could still take 6-7 years to return to normal levels.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-17-2004, 4:04 PM Reply   
It's strained from the demand for water. Don't count on big snow pack anytime soon. Global warming is great, I love summer!
Old     (whazzup)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-17-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
I saw an article in one of those boat magazines and it said that Powell is being drained to make way for some development. The article said it should be completely drained by 2007. I think it was Powerboat magazine.
Old    want2ride            04-18-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
I really doubt that they are draining it, for one what it the world are they going to build there? With the lake gone no one would ever go there. Also if it was being drained you would have heard about it all over the news.
Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-18-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
if you guys know of any links that relate to the future of powell please post. I'll look aswell.

G
Old    want2ride            04-18-2004, 10:42 AM Reply   
Here is the NPS web site, it has some useful info http://www.nps.gov/glca/whatsnew.htm
Old     (gwake)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-18-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
Thanks Kyle. I like to see the article that has the 2007 reference. I've had heard this from more than one person. Not being drained for development but just because they need the water.

Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-19-2004, 8:07 AM Reply   
the article was an april fools joke, if you read the whole thing once you got to the part about an outlet mall and mcdonalds big and tasty arena going up then you would have to question the validity.
Old    leggester            04-19-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
Lot's of bad info here. Colorado is in it's fifth year of drought. This has affected ALL the lakes on the Colorado River.

Runoff is bad again this year.
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-19-2004, 9:33 AM Reply   
Matt's right. Utah is in its 5th of 6th year of drought as well, and all the lakes are down. However, Powell is still 350-400 ft. deep in the channel, and still many bays and fingers to play in. Plus, you have more beaches, never before seen rock formations/arches exposed, and crowds are down. Low level or not, it still our absolute most favorite spot to board, and we're there over memorial day. Can't wait.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-19-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
It doesn't matter what the level of Lake Powell is.

If the level is high you can get farther back into canyons. If the level is low then beaches that were previously covered are available.

As for hitting rocks: Just take a ride on the lake and consider that the water level can change a hundred feet. When you pass an island that sticks up 10 feet above the water, ask yourself "what if the lake level was 10 feet higher?" "What if is was 10 feet lower?" "What might be just below the surface now?"

Lake Powell is perhaps one of the most hazardous to prop lakes I have even been on. But it is also one of the most beautiful. Don't worry about the water level, GO!

Rod
Old    leggester            04-19-2004, 11:54 AM Reply   
Rod, you just don't get it do you ? :-)

Stay away from Lake Powell folks. It's unmarked hazards will be the death of your boat. You will die from CO fumes from the house boats. You're brand new tournament boat will capsize and sink to the bottom the second day you are out there.

Gas prices are extremely high. You'll only be able to afford enough gas to get half way to wherever you are going. Then, you'll have to ditch the brand new tournement boat and swim 40+ miles to the next marina.

Did I mention you'll die from CO fumes?
Old    want2ride            04-19-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
Haha I with Matt on this one no one should go.....except me!!
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-19-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
Seems like the answer is to sow nuke plants along all coasts. On one side of each generator is a desalinization plant, and on the other...an H2 generator for fuel cell-powered cars, trucks, boats and planes. At that point, we'll have won.

(Message edited by toyotafreak on April 19, 2004)
Old    dlb988            04-23-2004, 7:53 AM Reply   
http://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/crsp_cs_gcd.html

Check it out for a full report of water flows
Old    jamesbburgess            05-08-2004, 9:14 PM Reply   
Ya im in agreement with those guys! everyone stay away from lake powell!! its been nice this past year or 2 with numbers down it leaves more room for me!! hands down lake powell is the best lake on the planet, we have had a houseboat there for over 10 years, just got a new one last year cause our 3 yr old one burned down!!! faulty gas refriderator, but the company that makes them was nice enough to buy us a new one!! plus we got a ton of upgrades, dont know how we lived before without the 42" plasma tv ect!!