Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-05-2004, 7:48 AM Reply   
I saw this link on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2463413483&category=31 271

Who is EOS and are they for real?? It doesn't look like a bad boat, but I had never seen them before.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-05-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
It is a new inboard model from Hydroswift. It is a boat company out of Utah. I saw one at the Pleasanton boat show. You take a gamble with buying a brand new model of anything...but I'm sure you could get a really nice boat for tons less as they really need to get some of these out on the market so people can see them. I have a friend that has an I/O hydroswift and it was a nice boat. They have this deal where they actually put their I/O in your normal sized public swimming pool and they can get the boat on plane on turn it around right inside the pool...and that is w/ a I/O. Pretty impressive to me!

The prototype I saw also had the sideswipe exhaust like on the centurions. The salesman also said they just signed w/ Calabria to use their purevert ballast system.

One other thing....I think they're asking for a lawsuit to have the "X" on the side of the boat?

Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-05-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
Will,

I saw that on Ebay too. They basically wrote me a thank you for writing about it in another thread, because they are getting many dealer calls on the boats now...

Anyway, I'm trying to find out more about them. The boat is clearly built on the same (or very, very similar) hull to the Toyota Epic S22's and SX's. The difference looks like in the interior: it looks as though cheaper parts were used (i.e. the glove compartment, the vinyl, dash, etc) to try and keep costs down (something Toyota was not good at... they made a hell of a good quality boat, maybe too good...and lost money on every boat they sold).

So anyway, I'm trying to figure out more, and will let you know when the folks at EOS get back to me. The Toyota kids want to know... (since Toyota owners were told the molds were being destroyed).
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-05-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
I have the direct drive Toyota, but if you want to see the similarities in the hull, just click on my profile and compare the two.

(Message edited by villageidiot on March 05, 2004)
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-05-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
no mistaking that back of the boat to your Toyota!
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-05-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
Cal - Can you give us a description of what the wake is like your your ride? Is the Toyota more vert like a Nautique or more rampy like an unwedged wakesetter vlx? I've never been in a Toyota and am just curious to find out more about their characteristics.

thx!
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-05-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
Levi- I bought my boat in December and went wakeboarding behind it last weekend for the first time... with just the factory ballast. Here's what I can tell you from my 1 ride.

The wake is rampy for a direct drive. Though it still falls on the steep side compared to most wakeboard boats. Personally, I prefer a slightly steeper wake. The wake is really similar to a Moomba Mobius V, if you've ever ridden behind one or read reviews. It's a poppy wake, but I've got to find a way to make it bigger.

The wake isn't big even with the ballast full (700 pounds, in the trunk). With a full crew and the ballast, the wake would be about right is my best guess. I bought a couple side-sacks that I plan to try out this weeekend (1600 pounds total), and will try to remember to report back how the wake was.
Old    calair03            03-05-2004, 1:06 PM Reply   
I know for a fact that Calabria isn't in any contacts with EOS on the Pure Vert Ballast System and the salesman is putting the wrong information out there for their benefit.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-06-2004, 11:45 PM Reply   
The v-drive wake will not be as peaky as a SAN, nor as rampy as a BU. I'm running 1400 lbs and a small crew - the SAN guy likes the rope at 70 ft and speed near 20 mph. His feeling at 80 ft and 22 was that the top of the wake was a little soft. Next time I'm hoping to got it up to 2,000 - the extra should help get it firmer at that length.

It takes a lot of weight to sink one of our Epics, and I've been told that we run out of torque before the right amount of ballast is reached. This is the one area that the EOS could improve over the Epic, and that's by putting a much larger displacement engine in there, people will be able to check out what the hull does with more than 2K in there.

As for me though, I'm stoked - we burned just under 4.0 gallons per hour yesterday with the 1400 in Bumps. Pretty damn good even if it does need super.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-08-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
Reporting back on the wake on the Toyota X22:

With a little extra weight, the wake was awesome. I used a couple Launch Pad side sacks (440 lbs each), in addition to the stock ballast (700 pounds, in the trunk. Wake was very firm, and seemed a bit rampier with the extra weight. The wake doesn't look all that big, but it kicks you pretty hard, and very consistently. For me, constistency is key.

I talked with an ex-instructor at the local ex-Toyota dealership yesterday. He said that the X22 is his favorite boat to wakeboard behind because the wake is very poppy, consistent, and the boat can handle a lot of weight. His favorite setup (I don't know how this is possible...but...), he said a 50/50 weight distribution is ideal with the X22 (rather than 60/40 towards the stern for most boats). He likes it best with about 2500-3000 pounds of balast... (what?!?!)

He said he fills the trunk ballast, puts a fat sack behind the engine compartment, two side-sacks beside the engine compartment, a fat sack in the bow walkway, and then T's up another fat sack in front of the engine compartment. So basically, covers the entire floor of the boat with sacks. Wow.

I won't be trying this in my boat, I'd like it to last me more than one season. So I guess I'll take his word for it.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-19-2004, 10:33 AM Reply   
I'm bringing this thread back up because I don't understand why EOS won't address my emails. Have sent several in the past few weeks.

I sent one where I didn't mention I was a Toyota owner and got a response right away...but then when I mentioned Toyota, nothing. You would think that they would want to get info out about these boats??? I guess not.

I sure as hell want to know. I've probably sent off 6-8 emails now. They have a bunch of different email addresses out there, but I think they all go to the same person, Jason from Boat Nutz Marine. Here are a couple of the emails: hydroswiftboats@aol.com, ropgirl8@aol.com">propgirl8@aol.com. If you are curious where the hulls came from and other info about the boats, the ballast system, etc, shoot them an email. Please report back if you hear from them.

It's not like I want to bash the boats, I just really want to know what the deal is, and don't understand why they won't answer me!!!

If they were proud of these boats, you'd think they'd want to talk about them. By not talking, it's giving me the impression they have something to hide. But maybe that's just me?

Email away...please.
Old     (wallyworld)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-19-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
why are you getting geeked up on another I/O company trying to get into something they know nothing about?
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-19-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
Because I want to know why the hull is identical to the Toyotas. If you owned an out-of-production boat and suddenly another boat manufacturer started using the hull again (after Toyota owners were told the molds were destroyed), I think you'd be a little curious too.
Old    oshensurfer            03-19-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
I don't think I would buy this one. Not at that price anyway... and from a company that doesn't have the time in the industry to develop any reputation. I'm not saying they don't have a decent boat cuz I haven't seen it in person or riden behind it, I'm just saying, I would be leary based on this photo and the fact that photos always look better than the actual product. Especially vehicles. But that's just me.

(Message edited by oshensurfer on March 19, 2004)
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-19-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
I definitely don't want to buy one, I'm just interested to hear about them because they are an obvious Toyota knockoff. Definitely nothing close to the build quality, note the hanging wires in the low res pic above. I bet it is more like a POS up close:-)
Old    oshensurfer            03-19-2004, 4:41 PM Reply   
Thats what I was worried about... Does anyone on this board own one????
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-19-2004, 4:54 PM Reply   
I would doubt anybody owns one yet... they just released them a few months ago (website says January, I first saw them late February. Website for EOS Boats at www.hydroswiftboats.com is still under construction), and none of the ebay auctions have even come close to meeting their "special" internet pricing. And I'm pretty sure this guy is the only dealer contracted through Hydroswift (yes, I know...way too much free time on my hands).

Another thing that is interesting: their marketing plan consists of absolutely...nothing. They let their dealer run a couple ads on ebay with lofty claims, and that's it. You'd think an established boat manufacturer would know better???

My curiosity continues.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-19-2004, 5:29 PM Reply   
Looks like EOS bought the Toyota molds.
Old    mbsteve            03-19-2004, 8:20 PM Reply   
looks pretty cool but you never know, until they have been out for a couple.