Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    heavywake            01-13-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
Looking for recommendations for custom tower speaker box. Not the brand of speakers, just the type- 6x9 or 6 1/2.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-13-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
JL Audio
Old    heavywake            01-13-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
JL Audio is great, but what size for tower? 6x9 or 6 1/2 ?
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
i personally chose 6 6 1/2's, as i haven't been too impressed with the 6x9's on boats that i've been in. it seemed to give too much of a "bass" feel for those in the boat (could just be amps incorrectly dialed in).

i'm actually in the process of having the tower speakers installed right now. i chose 6 infinity kappa 62.5i's, they seem to have real clean sound. i'll let you know how they sound...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
I would always use 6x9's because they produce more volume. Differences in SQ can't be heard when the boats going IMO.
Old    heavywake            01-13-2004, 12:20 PM Reply   
Thanks Tommy, What amp(s) would you use on six speakers. Wouldn't that bring the ohms down pretty low? I had a six speaker tower set up and it overheated my amp (eclipse) so I disconnected 1 set of speakers to just run 4 and that seemed to help.
They are 4 ohm speakers by the way.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   
unfortunately, the last thing that i am is a stereo expert. After talking to some stereo shop folks, I purchased a 2 channel amp (a kicker 800 x 2). Like I said, I don't really know jack about it, but I'm told that by running in series and parallel, i actually get between 2 - 3 ohms per speaker.

Funny that you mentioned Eclipse, because that's what I had on my old boat, it was running four tower speakers (extended pylon speakers) and the sub. It overheated all the time. the guy who's doing my current stereo install said that they are good amps, unless you try to run too much off of them, then they overheat easily. i forget the wattage on mine, but it was a five channel. I personally went with a 3 amp setup on the new boat, as i'm hoping to avoid the overheating. I'll try to post pics once everything's done. I went with the Sounds Unlimited box for the 6 1/2's, and I bought the Infinity's off eBay, $72/pair brand new in the box. Just got the Crutchfield catalog yesterday, they're $150/pair in there. Thank God for eBay...
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2004, 11:10 AM Reply   
sorry,
JL Audio 6.5" i recommend them b/c they ae inexpensive, have Buytl surrounds and a ridgid cone. A great tweeter and are not subjuct to moisture problems like some other speakers. Reputable company and they sound AWESOME! EQ'd right they were up there with my MB's.

I competed in IASCA for a year with this same speaker and no-one knew I changed to JL till they asked during listening tests.

Here is a pic of the box I built last spring. It has 6 JL Audio 6.5's (forget the model num right now)
KG

towerbox